Global Diageo Business Services (GDBS) is a global multi-functional shared service entity that processes DIAGEO-wide transactions across various world regions. It’s a Business Shared Services Centre (BSS) servicing the Diageo Africa markets in handling processes such as Order to Cash, Source to Pay, Record to Report, Data Management & Financial Controllership. Diageo also has other BSS and BSS partners that support service provision. The Africa BSS Centre (ABSC) works closely with Diageo BSS Centre in Bangalore India (DBSI) in the provision of services to the Diageo Africa markets.
Africa Business Services Centre (ABSC) Nairobi currently provides services to 20 legal business entities in different geographies across Africa using SAP as the accounting / enterprise system. The Diageo Africa business comprises integrated Supply and Demand entities producing beer, spirits, Ready To Drinks (RTD) –alcoholic & non-alcoholic in various plants across the region.
Purpose of Role
Execute a set of activities that helps in monitoring, controlling and evaluating performance against plan and generating insights to inform decisions and action. Scope of the role covers financial analysis and controlling activities in the following areas, NSV, Trade investment, A&P, production costs, overheads, OIE and working capital initiatives.
Regular financial analysis done to transform data (actual, historical & plans) to a form that helps in understanding of costs and thus supports cost controlling. A key output from the analysis is aggregating the risks & opportunities from the above mentioned sub process areas, required actions determined and communicated to senior management. Accuracy and completeness of the financial data generated is of key importance to ensure risks are mitigated appropriately and opportunities recognized and pursued.
- Identify and drive process improvement pro-actively seek out better ways of doing things and drive implementation of “simpler, faster, better” processes and ways of working.
- Support the month-end reporting for the demand finance processes for the market including overheads reporting and other income & expenses reporting, working capital initiatives review and cash flow analysis.
- Continuous tracking of overheads for the markets including having quality review sessions with the cost center owners to understand the cost drivers and cost control measures to put in place
- Stakeholder engagement with functional cost center owners, market finance teams, market commercial finance, supply finance and operations teams.
- Support the month-end reporting for the supply finance processes for the market including NSV reporting, trade investment and A&P reporting
- Own and champion the controls agenda by ensuring financial controls environment are in operation
- Prepares and report operating and average working capital
- Support the month-end reporting for the supply finance processes for the market including COGS reporting, inventory and capex reporting
The Financial Controlling Analyst role is within ABSC Financial Controlling Team. Based in Nairobi and requires supportive and challenging business partnering. Success is entirely dependent on managing and maintaining excellent relationship with the market Finance, Supply/ Production Operations teams, commercial finance and marketing/sales teams and the ability to work effectively with remote teams.
Key Stakeholders include:
- FDs and their Finance teams
- Supply Directors and their teams
- External and Internal Auditors
- GDBS and other Global Diageo teams.
- Data maintenance teams
- Commercial Finance teams
- Marketing and Sales teams
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Qualified Professional Accountant- CPA(K)/ACCA/ACMA
- Business related Degree.
- At least 2-4 years working experience in a multinational corporate environment, with exposure to some of the following areas:
- Proven track record in the area of Financial Accounting / Reporting, and/or Financial Controlling experience is strongly preferred
- Internal / external audit experience and/or SOX is an advantage
- Experience with Shared services process activities is an advantage
- Capable of working in a deadline driven environment.
- Working in a multi-national finance environment
- Demonstrated ability to successfully engage senior managers as well as other process stakeholders.
- Demonstrated English proficiency (read, write and speak)
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Relevant experience with integrated systems such as SAP is an advantage.
- MS applications (PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Word, etc.)
- BFC knowledge is an advantage
Barriers to Success in Role
- Inadequate analytical and problem solving skills
- Inadequate communication skills
- Inadequate commercial understanding
- Inability to work as part of a team
- Lack of attention to detail
- Lack of personal motivation /drive
- Inability to work in a deadline driven environment