Arifu, an early stage tech company in Nairobi, is looking to hire an ambitious and seasoned Chief Commercial Officer to provide leadership in scaling Arifu to realize our bold vision of placing a smart personal learning assistant in the hands of those with the greatest need for information and opportunity globally. This is a full-time position with equity participation based at Arifu’s headquarters in Nairobi.
In short, you will oversee aggressive commercial growth for Arifu as we expand our company and platform from 1 million learners in 5 countries with 40 team members to 10+ million learners in 50+ countries with hundreds of team members. As the CCO, you are a critical part of the leadership team reporting directly to the CEO with the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the overall vision and goals of Arifu together with leadership;
- Lead the functional teams of Business Development and Marketing;
- Set and track KPIs for your functional teams;
- Design and implement sales strategies and initiatives to achieve strong commercial growth in key sectors including financial services, agriculture, humanitarian, health, energy and others in a way that is aligned to our impact framework improving outcomes such as financial inclusion, smallholder livelihoods, micro-enterprise growth, youth employment, and health and safety;
- Design and implement marketing strategies with campaigns that establish Arifu as a leading brand among key audiences (learners, clients, investors, team);
- Design and oversee the development of a sales and marketing workforce capable of expanding partnerships and platform regionally in Sub Saharan Africa and globally as we enter Asia, Latin America, and MENA;
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates a high performance team including direct management of sector and regional leads;
- Design and implement GTM strategies for new products and new regions as we grow from 5 countries in SSA to 50+ countries globally;
- Scale up key client relationships with leading firms and iNGOs to each have multi-million dollar ACVs reaching millions of learners;
- Secure large strategic grant financing to fuel growth, research, and innovation;
- Support the CEO to raise investment financing for growth;
- Identify opportunities for product innovation and research to improve product-market fit and optimize our financial and impact outcomes;
- Contribute thought leadership through publications and speaking engagements.
Ambition, grit, and a desire to achieve impact are essential qualities for everyone on the Arifu team. For this role, we’re also looking for someone who meets the following criteria:
- Master-level degree in Business Administration or a related category of study;
- Experience leading business development teams within organizations that have over 40 employees;
- 15+ years of relevant professional experience with a solid understanding of B2B sales, strategic partnership development, sales operations, tech/mobile industry, market entry, and marketing;
- Demonstrated results driving product sales and strategic partnerships with large firms and iNGOs;
- Ability to guide complex research and analysis that will fuel growth and expansion strategies for the entire company across multiple sectors;
- Local market knowledge and connections in Sub Saharan Africa, preferably including East Africa;
- Experience structuring teams and upskilling talent;
- Fluency in English;
- Ability to live and work full-time in Nairobi, Kenya;
- Ability to travel at least 20%.
- Industry experience in content, education, advertising, or technology;
- Deep working knowledge of priority verticals including financial services, agriculture, health, energy, humanitarian, and consumer goods;
- Fluency in Swahili.
Compensation and Benefits:
We aspire to be competitive on compensation although, as an early-stage social enterprise, many on the team work below market rate. To make up for that, staff are able to participate in the Arifu employee share program. We also offer a comprehensive health insurance package and will cover the cost of a work permit for foreign staff. Other benefits include monthly airtime allowance, extra leave, a stocked kitchen, and plenty of ping-pong and foosball.