Apollo Group (Apollo Investments Limited) was an idea born from the need to harness synergies across the insurance business. The group is a one stop financial services provider offering innovative products and services in Insurance, Pensions and Investments.
Built on commitment, integrity and innovation, the group has risen to be one of the leading providers of insurance and financial services in East Africa. Established in 1977 as one of the first locally owned insurance companies, Apollo has achieved impressive growth over the years thanks to unwavering commitment to service, confidence of the policy holders and constant adherence to a sound management policy.
We are hiring for the position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – AAMC who will be responsible to lead a team in ensuring an efficient and effective operation of the Group’s offering of investment and retirement products and services and for the investment and portfolio management services that meet internal and external stakeholder’s expectations.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced leader to join our team. The CEO will work closely with multiple stakeholders including the Board of Directors towards ensuring that the investment strategy of the Apollo Group is robust, fully actualized and offering a superior return. The ideal candidate for this position should have previous corporate management experience and a proven track record for results-driven leadership and effective team management with the ability to see the ‘big picture’ in a variety of settings.
- Supporting the execution and achievement of the agreed company’s strategic objectives.In particular:
- Manage Group funds in accordance with the client mandates
- Manage and grow funds for non-group (third party) mandates
- Manage and grow the Unit Trusts business
- Profitably grow all business lines in accordance with the agreed and approved budgets
- Deliver on the agreed key performance indicators
- Overall responsibility for managing the Company’s Capital requirements and return on capital
- Manage and drive investment performance through:
- Approve and implement investment decisions and transactions within agreed mandates
- Undertake research (internally or through third parties) to guide development of house view and recommendations for investment decisions
- Evaluate and monitor portfolio performance against agreed benchmarks, identify reasons for divergence and proposing suitable action
- Provide leadership in the development of innovative, customer oriented products and initiatives that support the achievement of long-term profitable growth.
- Overall responsibility for operational efficiency of the company by ensuring proper policies, systems and procedures are in place to effectively manage and control the business
- Overall responsibility for the implementation of an effective risk management framework for the company.
- Ensure adherence to the corporate governance standards as set by the Board including the Approvals Framework and compliance with all statutory, regulatory and other relevant requirements.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Proven experience and expertise in investment management at senior levels in a relevant environment, such as a bank, asset manager, investment fund, stockbroker or insurance undertaking.
- A professional qualification in at least one of the areas of finance, investment, or equivalent qualification.
- Demonstrates sound understanding of financial instruments, investment products and strategies and the regulatory environment in which they are offered.
- Established track record in achieving and delivering results, with a commitment to quality and customer-centricity.
- Portfolio management experience, analytical and due diligence capabilities, including in alternative investment strategies.
- Strong leadership and management skills to successfully motivate, coach and develop team members to reach high performance.
- Has a strategic perspective, anticipates and embraces changes, with a strong business acumen and able to turn challenges into opportunities.
- Good oral and written communication skills – a team player who is able to ‘lead from the front’.
Method of Application
If you believe you have the skills and qualifications that we are looking for, we are interested in meeting with you. Please send your CV and cover letter to: Maria.Simiyu@apollo.co.ke with Chief Executive Officer as the subject line before the 4th November 2019.