- NEVER pay for any job, interview, certification, visa or any other fee to any employer or individual. If you need any clarification, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project officer at Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT)
Posted on: 6 November, 2019
Deadline: 15 November, 2019
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT)
Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT) is a not-for-profit organization established in Kenya in 2009 by the Biovision Foundation for ecological development in Switzerland and hosted by the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE) in Nairobi. The Trust’s goal is to alleviate poverty and improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers in Kenya and other African countries through supporting dissemination of information and knowledge on appropriate technology to improve human, animal, plant, and environmental health. Ecologically sustainable solutions are a practical alternative for African farmers to achieve good crop yields without relying on expensive chemical fertilizers and pesticides. What is lacking, however, are effective dissemination pathways to deliver relevant information to the farmers and supportive policies for EOA.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- TOF Magazine:
- Plan content themes in response to target groups’ needs and publishing schedules for each TOF issue in consultation with the externally sourced vendor, FCP Coordinator and relevant project staff;
- Solicit, write and manage contributions of articles tailored to the themes of each issue and be responsible for the quality management of the content and design of the magazine by consulting with the parties and contributors involved.
- Discern and ensure that contributions made, both solicited and unsolicited, are consistent with Biovision’s ecological development strategy and ICIPE’s policy and positions and support the principles of ecological and sustainable agriculture;
- Ensure that all space advertisements paid for and sponsorship packages offered, or otherwise provided by FCP are in line with the values of FCP and follow BvAT editorial guidelines;
- Liaise with the external vendor to ensure timelines for the production of the monthly magazine are adhered to;
- Liaise with external vendor for the soft copy of the magazine and submit to the FCP Coordinator and the ED for further review and eventual approval by before taking the final document on CD-R or flash-disk to the Press for printing;
- Supervise and monitor the distribution of the TOF magazine by distributors, subscribers including FCP’s Outreach field staff through the resource centres;
- Support and supervise contributors and other project staff in line with their responsibilities and contracts.
- Administrative Duties:
- Ensure LPO requisitions are made and payments made for all services rendered to ensure timely delivery of final products (printing of the TOF magazine, paying content producers/contributors, etc);
- Develop grant or award winning project concept notes and proposals including budgets for TOF Magazine, and any other related project activities;
- Report as required and periodically on schedule on the progress/performance/budget execution against the M&E framework and budget lines of the project;
- Collaborate with other active like-minded partners and organizations to leverage on BvAT dissemination channels and reach many farmers as per planned targets;
Education and Knowledge:
- Preference is to have someone with a master’s degree in Mass Communication, Development Studies, Broadcast Journalism or related field from a credited institution of higher learning. Candidates with knowledge in both communication and agricultural background are most preferred.
- At least 5 years’ progressive experience in agricultural or community communication development, publishing and agricultural broadcast/ journalism.
- Experience in handling publishing projects
- Experience in working with creative teams and printing firms to develop print resources such as magazines and booklets
- Experience in monitoring implementation of project activities
- Experience in writing winning project concept notes and proposals
- Specialized Knowledge and skills required:
- Information gathering, writing, editing and layout for magazine production combined with knowledge in photography. Knowledge of current trends in agriculture especially sustainable agriculture and organic farming.
- Excellent writer and editor with ability to interpret and communicate complex scientific ideas through simple messages and formats.
- Good understanding of the publishing process.
- Team player, good communicator (both written and spoken), excellent interpersonal skills, work under minimum supervision, self-motivated and go-getter, love/high regard for farming and farmer.
- Proven ability to work with multiple teams.
- Sound knowledge of project monitoring and evaluation.
- Networking and partnership building skills.
- Proficiency in using Windows Operating System as well as Microsoft Office applications (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Understanding of and personal commitment to ecologically sustainable agriculture.
- Willingness and ability to travel locally and regionally.
- Should be fluent in oral and written English and Swahili.
Method of Application
If you believe you are the right candidate for any of the above positions and can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the requirements, please submit your detailed CV and application letter indicating summary of your key qualifications and expected salary to email@example.com.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT)Similar Jobs
- Protection, Gender and Inclusion Senior Officer at International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
- Food Security and Livelihoods Specialist at ChildFund International
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer – Maternity Cover at Practical Action East Africa
- Job Openings at UNESCO
- Field Coordinator at International Rescue Committee
- Trips Facilitator at WE Charity
- Media Campaign CSEC Coast Project Officer (Kenya) at Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL)
- Job Vacancies at International Organization for Migration