Afrobarometer is a pan-African, non-partisan research project that measures the social, political, and economic atmosphere in Africa through public attitude surveys implemented by national partners in about 35 countries. Its goal is to give voice to ordinary Africans in policy-making in order to strengthen democratic governance, so communicating its survey findings to the policy community and beyond is a core objective of the Afrobarometer Network. The purpose of this position is to promote the visibility, use, and impact of Afrobarometer data by supporting, mentoring, and monitoring national partners in about 10 countries to design and implement a range of communications activities.
For the successful candidate, the position will be an opportunity to develop and implement creative communications strategies while learning about social science research, building international networks of media and policy actors, and helping to strengthen research capacity and democracy in Africa.
The Afrobarometer communications coordinator for East Africa region, to be based at the Institute for Development Studies (IDS), University of Nairobi, Kenya, will be responsible for managing and supporting network communications activities of national partner organizations in about 10 countries in eastern Africa.
S/he will support, mentor, and monitor partners in planning and implementing communications activities to promote the visibility, use, and impact of Afrobarometer survey findings, such as conducting dissemination events, giving presentations, writing press releases and analytical papers, conducting social media campaigns, and developing working relationships with media and policy actors in government, civil society, and academia. S/he will support Afrobarometer in developing and implementing a continent-wide communications strategy.
- Manage the flow of NP and network communications activities and outputs in a fastpaced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Work with Afrobarometer NPs to develop tailored national communications strategies that include media/stakeholder analysis, timely and relevant dissemination plans, and outreach and follow-up activities to promote continuous stakeholder engagement.
- Work with NPs to ensure the planning and execution of timely, high-quality resultsdissemination events and publications in accordance with contract requirements.
- Review, edit, and finalize NP dissemination materials such as press releases, PowerPoint presentations, summaries of results, and analytical papers to ensure that content is of acceptable quality and that form matches Afrobarometer templates/formats.
- Consistently improve the capacity of NPs to produce these materials.
- Proactively identify opportunities for Afrobarometer and its partners to: o Inject data into emerging and ongoing policy debates by tracking current events in partner countries, engaging with relevant policy actors and media, etc. Examples: “Hot” issues in supported countries, international/national observances, platforms for engagement with key government officials, media leaders, civil society organizations working in relevant areas. o Build and strengthen partnerships with stakeholders, policy actors, and potential donors at local, national, regional, continental, and global levels.
- Train (where appropriate) and monitor NPs in media and presentation skills.
- Help NPs initiate and maintain a social media strategy.
- Serve as liaison between supported NPs and Afrobarometer regional/central staff, including providing regular updates about progress and challenges in NP dissemination/communications efforts. Ensure timely reporting via the Afrobarometer M&E system and periodic reports.
- Assist the Afrobarometer communications team in developing and implementing a continent-wide communications strategy.
- Help Afrobarometer expand its database of journalists, civil-society, academic, and policymaker contacts.
- Provide public briefings and media representation on behalf of Afrobarometer, and support presentations/interviews by other network members.
- Promote Afrobarometer by creating high-quality communications outputs (e.g. press releases, blog posts, infographics, photographs, videos, podcasts, interviews, etc.)
- Support Afrobarometer social media campaigns and work with the digital media officer to ensure that website content is up-to-date.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
- Bachelor’s degree and preferably post-graduate studies or degree in journalism or communications
- At least three to five years of related work experience, or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media systems
- Thorough knowledge of media relations strategies
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Experience in networking with policymakers such as members of parliament and local government leaders
- Strong management skills:
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously, set and meet deadlines, ensure that NPs do the same
- Ability to manage own work with little supervision
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills and demonstrated ability to work in a multi-national environment
- Fluency in English; proficiency in French and/or Portuguese not required but a major advantage.
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation communication skills
- Experience with, or demonstrated aptitude for, basic data analysis
- Experience with, and interest in, use of social media
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology
- Demonstrated skill in the use of Microsoft Office Suite; experience with SPSS is desirable but not required; experience with video-editing software is an advantage but not required.
- Willingness to travel frequently in the East Africa region, and occasionally beyond
- Other information
- Short-listed applicants will be asked to complete writing, presentation, and basic numeracy tests.
- This is a one-year, fixed-term appointment with potential for renewal.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Method of Application
Application letter with CV should be sent by Friday 22nd November 2019 to Afrobarometer Project Manager for East Africa region at email@example.com