About the HCD Exchange
The HCD Exchange is a community of implementers, funders, designers, and evaluators committed to advancing learning and practice related to the integration of human-centered design (HCD) and adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) in low-resource settings. The HCD Exchange was launched in 2018 and is entering its next phase. Over the next two years we are excited to expand the community of partners and actors who are reaching and engaging youth effectively through HCD to improve ASRH programs and outcomes. Together, we will continue to build interest in human-centered design as an approach for ASRH, generate tools and learning across the community and build capacity and networks that advance our practice in this new and exciting area of global health. Our Youth Leadership Hub will guide our work and catalyze partnerships with young people and youth-focused service providers and advocates.
About the HCD Exchange Hosts
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) and inSupply Health, Ltd. have joined forces to host the HCD Exchange and engage the ASRH/HCD community in advancing practice and building a robust ecosystem of dedicated actors. JSI is deeply committed to improving the health of individuals and communities, working for over 40 years in partnership with people, their communities, organizations, and governments to advance health outcomes and build responsive health systems. inSupply Health, Ltd. an East African JSI affiliate, cultivates locally grown solutions and builds capacity to strengthen health systems and supply chains and to improve people’s access to quality, affordable health services and products in Africa. inSupply’s team of African professionals co-design solutions with clients and communities, embedding HCD approaches in implementation models and deploying innovative methods for reaching youth, such as gaming platforms. inSupply also empowers young professionals through internships and placements.
The HCD Exchange is co-funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, William & Flora Hewlett Foundation and Children’s Investment Fund Foundation
JSI and inSupply Health are recruiting a visionary and motivated leader to join our team as the Director of HCD Exchange.
You are a global health professional and have extensive experience working in ASRH in low resource settings. You have a passion for increasing the voice and ideas of youth in health programming and other youth-focused reproductive health services and organizations and understand the value of inclusive approaches like HCD. You are an African professional with strong roots and ties in the global ASRH community and are passionate about making connections and providing opportunities for current and new partners and actors. You are curious and open-minded. You strongly believe in the mission of the HCD Exchange and are a person who can help shape a vision and make it a reality.
Leadership & vision
Youth service, voice & action
- Build a small team to lead and facilitate the HCD Exchange
- Lead the HCD Exchange Community of Practice, including the Advisory Board and develop the Investors Segment
- Demonstrate visionary and catalytic leadership and purposeful management skills, ensuring high quality and timely outputs and building and sustaining momentum for the HCD Exchange
- Listen to and engage with key stakeholders and leaders in development and global health to build up the ecosystem and inspire commitment to investing in and practicing HCD-led ASRH programming
- Manage the complexity of community-driven investments and respond to emergent community, technical, and funding priorities.
- Make connections to other donors and organizations that might be interested in supporting HCD approaches to improve ASRH outcomes
- Coordinate with donors of the HCD Exchange to assess whether the initiative is achieving its outcomes
Community building within the HCD Exchange
- Create the vision for, support, and advance the HCD Exchange Youth Leadership Hub
- Lead the ASRH technical and youth engagement and program elements of the Exchange with support from the HCD Exchange team members and technical advisors
- With support from HCD Exchange collaborators, form and execute a responsive, effective, user-centered Community of Practice that values the contributions and assets of all members
- Create networks of people and organizations for cross-community learning and opportunities for collaboration
Generating and sharing evidence
- Frame, prioritize, and meet capacity needs with HCD Exchange members and the HCD/ASRH community
- Inspire HCD/ASRH online and in-person technical and learning tools and field-based learning tours
- Create a space within the HCD Exchange to identify evaluation needs, match evaluation opportunities with the right evaluators and experts and share evaluation results
- Share learnings with the global health community about whether and how HCD approaches are improving ASRH programming and outcomes
- 10+ years of experience in sexual and reproductive health and family planning programming, with at least 8 years in adolescent SRH program design or policy
- Interested in hiring a local citizen from sub-Saharan Africa; East African strongly preferred
- Commitment to youth involvement and experience with youth programming, and empowering youth voices and actions in the global south
- Demonstrated experience managing projects with local and regional staff and activities; strong expertise in operationalization and transforming complex ideas into practice
- Demonstrated experience working closely with international donors in global health, preferably in partnerships or collaborative initiatives
- Strong global connections with the ASRH community, and in East Africa in particular. Ability to generate excitement for collaboration and engagement within the ASRH community
- Strong management facilitation, performance management, communication, and people skills including experience in negotiation, influence and advocacy
- Excellent written and spoken English language. French language proficiency a bonus
- Knowledge of/experience applying HCD principles and methods and/or experience with social and behavior change approaches
- Success with fundraising and building coalitions of funders, governments and supporters
- Experience with communities of practice highly desirable
- Ability to travel at least 30-40% regionally and internationally
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online.