PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The position of Training of Trainers Advisor will manage the implementation of an interagency project meant to provide support across partner agencies in East and Southern Africa. World Vision is an active member of the interagencyTraining of Trainers (TOT) Working Group (WG), which is a working stream within the sector-wide Learning & Development (L&D) Collaboration Group. WVI has made a significant contribution to the development of the TOT framework leveraging previous WVI internal work in this area. Save the Children, another key member of the WG submitted a proposal to fund a pilot TOT Programme, to IKEA with which they have a 10 year funding agreement and receive tranches of funds every three years for various L&D initiatives across the Save the Children partnership.
The aim of this project is to build a wider pool of high-quality expert trainers in the humanitarian sector. These trainers will a) enable the continued roll-out of our highly-regarded capacity building programmes; but also, b) deliver short, bespoke, ‘unpackaged’, modularised versions of these for Country Offices at scale using our expanding bank of humanitarian training curricula. This is to ensure that high quality learning programmes can take place at all levels but especially, the field level. This position would build the capacity of staff to facilitate humanitarian learning across organizations and across the two regions.
- Design and Implementation:
- Adapt TOT curriculum to the East Africa Region (EAR)/South Africa Region (SAR) context.
- Plan, design and deliver the Training of Trainer workshops following the framework and roll out of bronze, silver and gold training activities.
- Monitor and coach all learners in their learning requirements (building a learning portfolio) in order to certify them and oversee their advancement from one level to the next.
- Liaise and plan with silver and gold trainers to identify opportunities for skills building and matching them as coaches for less skilled learners.
- Work with INGO partner, Humentum (https://www.insidengo.org/iert) who will provide the online facilitation component to ensure that it is adequately delivered and learners are monitored for progress.
- Identify opportunities where the TOT can be leveraged against other L&D opportunities in the region to maximize impact (among NOs, inter-agency forums, L&D regional networks).
- Engage and build interagency relationships with a goal of promoting the TOT project.
- Identifying potential trainers and potential trainees through liaising with other agencies among NOs, inter-agency forums and L&D regional networks.
- Liaising with the Global ToT Manager and WAR ToT Advisor to update and share experiences and networking opportunities.
- Monitor Project Effectiveness and Key Learnings:
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the project (through observation and follow up) and capture key learnings for dissemination to partner agencies.
- Make recommendations to change or adapt the project based upon key learnings.
- Work with Global ToT Manager and WAR ToT Advisor to collate lessons learned in the four regions (East, South, West and Central Africa) and share in appropriate NGO fora (i.e. Interagency L&D Working group, Africa Humentum conference, Localization Summit, etc.)
- Any other duties as required.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, organizational development, international development, learning and development or other related field.
- Excellent training and facilitation skills (both face to face and on-line) that come from a deep understanding of adult learning methodologies.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of how to design and deliver learning programmes.
- Well organised with a proven ability to build own credibility and authority with others.
- Excellent project management, problem-solving and organisational skills, gained through managing complex cross-organisational projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills – verbal, written and distance communication – at a standard appropriate for giving feedback or presenting information at a senior level.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to bring out the best in people from a range of backgrounds and cultures.
- Exceptionally high standards of customer service with proven experience of delivering highly professional services to stakeholders.
- Minimum of 5 years in development/humanitarian sector including at least three years in a project coordination capacity.
- Significant experience of working for an International/National NGO.
- Extensive experience developing, promoting and implementing learning and development programmes using a competency based approach to building capacity.
- Experience designing and delivering blended learning training and workshops to mixed ability and mixed language groups.
- Proven track record and work experience in cross cultural operating environments and working with cross-cultural teams effectively.
- Experience using a standard core curriculum and adapting it to specific contexts (i.e. regions and countries) to ensure key learning outcomes.
- Systems thinker; the ability to integrate the competencies framework into organizational systems and processes.
- Understanding and practical experience with emergency business processes and industry standards related to disaster management.
- Problem solving, negotiation and contracting skills.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and influence at a senior level.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages (French would be a strong advantage).
- Formal qualification / certification in training and facilitation would be preferable especially using a blended learning approach.
- Experience utilizing online learning to deliver training.
- Coaching/mentoring skills.
- Advocacy and networking skills/ Experience engaging in cross or multi-agency groups.
- Experience engaging with key L&D networks within the region.
- Ability to travel internationally (within the region).
- Commitment to WV’s mission, values and approach.
- Experience delivering remote/online learning programmes with strong collaborative components.
The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally maximum 30% of the time.