Main Job Purpose
The Research & Development Assistant Manager - Beauty & Personal Care East Africa will be participating in various innovation, renovation, Supply Chain support, savings & resilience projects. The role encompasses the ‘hybrid philosophy’ encompassing all relevant technical disciplines and makes no separate distinction between formulation, processing, or packaging. The role holder will support projects with relevant expertise, Research & Development data extraction, analysis and where appropriate data visualisation. The role holder will also support the roll-out of new or amended ways-of-working in data, specification management, and Research & Development processes across East Africa.
The role holder will operate locally at the interface of Research & Development with Supply Chain, and Research & Development with Marketing where their work is important for the Business growth ambition; to improve efficiency; and reduce complexity. Key tasks of the role holder will therefore be:
- Support the Beauty & Personal Care program for East Africa ensuring on time in full delivery.
- Actively support Beauty & Personal Care Country Category Business Teams in East Africa.
- Be an engaged project member for local initiatives across Beauty & Personal Care East Africa including 20/10 innovation projects, Supply Chain capacity building through third party or on-shoring projects, local supplier development (Raw Material, Packaging Material & 3rd Party Packers), resilience initiatives, and 5S savings opportunities.
- Support technical data for claims, compliance and activation.
- Support as necessary market insights & as appropriate monitor specific developments/ activities of competitors, Key Opinion Formers, etc.
- Interrogation of Research & Development data systems. Evaluation and visualisation of data analysis results.
- Support data enhancements for the effective operation of Product Lifecycle Management.
- Support strategic business programmes requiring Research & Development input, e.g., Digital 2.0, Connected 4 Growth Supply & Material Experts Teams operations, Project Flash.
- Participate in the wider Research & Development organisation and actively engage as part of the extended Research & Development community at line manager’s discretion.
- Comply with all business polices especially Safety Health Environment/Quality Assurance policies, and Code of Business Principles.
- Relevant science-based education. Degree in B.SC ideally Chemistry or Chem Engineering or its equivalent
- Experience working in a Beauty and Personal Care category is preferred but not essential.
- Curiosity in the latest innovation and technology is essential
Key Skills And Competencies
- Knowledge of project management skills and product development experience
- Understanding of process control, Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOP), Hazard Analysis Critical Control (HACCP) and safety management system.
- Knowledge of data management, ideally specifications.
- Good analytical skills.
- Team player with good communication skills.
- Influencing & problem-solving skills. Ability to work under pressure.
- Skilled in analysing risks and stakeholder management
Women and People living with a disability are encouraged to apply.
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.