Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Supervises: Communications and Content Development Lead
Job Grade: TBA
Mission of the department: To support WWF-Kenya growth in strength and influence by leading the development and implementation of a well-defined, engaging communications and marketing strategy. Establish a strong & engaging WWF brand recognised and appreciated by priority audiences and partners. The purpose is to build a brand that people identify with for its strength in championing both the conservation of natural resources and the processes that support life, and sustainable development to meet the needs of the present without compromising the needs of the future.
II. Major Functions: The Head of Communications is responsible for establishing and managing WWFs brand development in Kenya while positioning the brand for overall resource mobilisation. The role will implement creative, innovative and engaging communications and marketing strategies; so that WWF-Kenya speaks with one voice and engages important audiences effectively.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Communications and Marketing strategy
- Ensure development and execution of a robust communications and marketing strategy to support the achievement of WWF-Kenya strategic plan.
- Lead the development of an engaging and compelling WWF brand locally with key stakeholders such as governments (national and local), relevant private sector, media, general public, influencers and decision makers.
- Provide leadership in Public Relations strategy development, execution and initiatives.
- Provide leadership for the planning and execution of all WWF-Kenya communication events and campaigns for brand building and public engagement.
- Leverage on emerging trends in the digital space in the execution of WWF-Kenya digital strategy.
- Co-ordinate the delivery of the digital communications strategy for WWF-Kenya to ensure that WWF-Kenya make the best use of technology for key communications activities (e.g. content development for web sites & intranet development, social media and online marketing);
- Build Strong networks and Partnerships that support both brand and resource mobilization.
- Support programmes to coordinate efforts to inform, educate and publicize WWF’s-Kenya work to resonate with the relevant audiences in collaboration with key partners.
- Provide oversight in designing, development and dissemination of key WWF-Kenya Communication Materials that support overall key messages for greater impact through a range of mediums and topics.
- Support in identifying suitable approaches and tools for knowledge identification and dissemination(lessons learned, success stories, best practice and innovations)
- Promote Brand Visibility by leveraging high name recognition, positive perception, and influence stakeholder goodwill for WWF-Kenya
- Communication for Conservation Impact
- Provide creative and innovative communication ideas and mechanisms to showcase results/outcomes from WWF-Kenya conservation work to our partners and key stakeholders.
- Position WWF-Kenya as a thought Leader in Conservation Matters by providing skillful Stakeholder mapping (Stakeholder Identification & Prioritization).
- Develop and execute strategies to deliver corporate, programs and brand communications, and provide compelling communication products and touch points that work across channels.
- Implement a communication and media strategy to advance WWF Kenya’s Conservation initiatives
- Build understanding and support for all WWF –Kenya programs among key internal and external stakeholders
- Strategic Partnerships & Media Relations
- Use communications effectively to protect WWF-Kenya’s reputation and to successfully manage crisis situations which occur for WWF-Kenya.
- Prepare talking points and speeches for the Board of Directors and senior leadership;
- Act as the lead for engaging the programme teams in communication activities (internal and external) and build the technical capacity for staff as internal spokes persons.
- Oversee the development and disseminations of IEC materials including print and electronic materials such as, logos, letterheads, newsletters, e-newsletters, banners, brochures; and annual reports.
- Oversee effective management of WWF-Kenya website, ensure its reliability with compelling messages and content curation.
- Development of WWF-Kenya public facing briefs/WWFs credentials to support engagement with specific Stakeholders e.g. donors and other partners.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop Communications plans that leverage on mainstream media as well as digital platforms.
- Knowledge Management and Content Curation
- Collaborate with the program teams on content development, utilizing content generated in telling WWF’s Kenya’s engagement with the communities and linking conservation impact to livelihoods.
- Provide leadership for the News Hub by overseeing knowledge management and content development and dissemination of Information.
- Leadership and People Management
- Provides leadership to the communications team.
- Coordinates setting of both departmental work plans and staff performance targets and undertakes periodic performance appraisals for communication staff.
- Management of Communications Assets and Budgets
- Develops annual budgets as per approved work plan, monitoring funds utilization and return on investments.
- Ensures prudent management and safety of communication assets and resources.
Required Functional Skills:
- University degree in Communications, Public Relations, Media Relations, or other related fields;
- At least 8 years of proven experience in communications or PR;
- A good understanding of the contextual realities of PR and communications for promoting brand.
- Professional membership to relevant communication professional bodies.
- Thorough knowledge of and practical experience in communications strategy, execution and measurement
Required Skills and Competencies
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organisational, planning, analytical and research skills;
- High ethical standards of behavior, good judgment, respect for others, confidentiality and attention to detail coupled with a positive attitude.
- Passionate about the environment and sustainable development.
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills.
- Energetic, proactive and capable of working independently as well as being an active member of the team.
Internal: Interacts with the Board, Chief Executive Officer, Senior Leadership Team, WWF Network, Program Managers and ALL staff on an ongoing basis.
External: Interacts with national and county governmental institutions, non-governmental organisations, academic institutions, the media, donors, specialists/consultants, and other stakeholders.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
Kindly apply with your CV and cover letter as one file with the Job Title of Position Applied for on the subject line to the HR & Administration Manager, WWF-Kenya: firstname.lastname@example.org to be received not later than 31st May 2020. We will not accept applications without a CV and covering letter.
Work permit restrictions may apply.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce.