The International Youth Foundation (IYF) is seeking a Technical Director who will provide technical oversight for an anticipated USAID-funded, five-year, multi-million dollar project that aims to support evidence-based and evidence-producing county-level models that empower youth and connect them directly to social and economic opportunities to improve their livelihoods and well-being. The project will enhance county-level youth-serving systems; form partnerships between US and Kenyan higher education institutions to develop their capacity to generate and use data to expand evidence-based and evidence-producing programs, practices, and policies related to youth; and use county-level models to strengthen systems to better engage youth and connect them to social and economic opportunities.
Kenyan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply. Hiring for this position will be contingent upon IYF securing funding from USAID for this activity and USAID’s approval of the candidate for this position.
- Provide overall technical oversight of the project, ensuring that all interventions are high quality and evidence-based so that the project achieves its goals and objectives.
- Develop the program's overarching vision and work-plan in collaboration with the Chief of Party, project leadership, USAID, IYF/Baltimore staff, and key stakeholders, including the Government of Kenya at national, provincial and local levels; higher education institutions; and young people.
- In collaboration with project leadership, develop annual implementation plans consistent with program goals and objectives.
- Build the technical capacity of youth organizations, higher education institutions, and local government. Develop and implement capacity strengthening plans. Develop tools and guides to facilitate knowledge transfer. Provide technical training and support.
- Build and maintain relationships with the public sector, private sector, civil society, community-based organizations, local communities, local government, and donors.
- Work with project leadership to support continuous program learning and ensure integration of monitoring and evaluation data into management decision-making and policy advocacy.
- Produce effective written reports and oral presentations on the program, including preparing periodic reports, providing updates on challenges facing the program, and articulating the program’s success in meeting deliverables.
- Represent IYF and overall project interests at local, national and regional meetings, workshops and conferences and promote the program at the national level.
- Supervise staff as assigned, including providing regular professional support and coaching to supervisees, assessing their performance and recommending improvements they can make to achieve their annual objectives and the project's goal in general.
- Perform other duties as requested.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- A graduate degree in a relevant field such as education, international development, and non-profit management.
- Eight years of relevant experience in leading programs focused on research, youth services, workforce development, livelihoods, and/or private sector development, with at least four of those in Kenya or countries similar to Kenya.
- Demonstrated success working at the community level assessing challenges, creating and implementing solutions, and achieving measurable results in development projects.
- Technical leadership experience on complex youth development programs funded by USAID or other donors.
- Experience cultivating relationships and collaborating with a variety of stakeholders including youth, government ministries and officials, NGOs and donors, evaluators, and community-based institutions, preferably in Kenya.
- Demonstrated experience with facilitative and partnership approaches, to include youth, higher education institutions, government, and the private sector. Significant experience in designing and facilitating interactive meetings and workshops.
- Strong understanding of the Kenyan economic, educational, and youth contexts, with a network of relevant contacts in the country.
- Experience developing and implementing effective capacity building methods.
- Spoken and written fluency in English and Swahili required; fluency in other Kenyan languages a plus.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
go to method of application »
Scope of Work:
In a quest to improve brand visibility for TIKO Kenya and to serve TIKO Actors. Triggerise Kenya invites proposals to provide consultancy services for the development and maintenance of the website.
The scope will include planning, requirement gathering, design, development, testing, commissioning and migration of the data from the existing site to the new portal where required.
Details of the scope of work include the following:
- A detailed outline of website targeted users, roles and actions on the page.
- Redesign of the website in terms of layout, look and feel, usability etc.
- Establish a media section, videos and podcast section within the website.
- Design online forms for relevant activities.
- Set up a user-friendly blogging system which can assist with publications and newsletters.
- Search engine optimization that will help with marketing and advertising the Scheme and its assets.
- Map locations and contacts
- Training for end user i,e administration and content uploading admin.
- Ensure the website is compatible with all popular browsers and the ability to run on handheld mobile devices that will allow the website content to flow seamlessly
Schedule of Work
- It is expected that the supply, installation, testing and commissioning of the website/portal will be completed within the agreed period following engagement.
- Service provider is required to submit a phased schedule of works to enable critical activities to proceed with minimal interruptions.
- The Service provider is expected to adhere to this schedule or within variations as may be agreed with the Triggerise.
- The Service provider must guarantee completion of the redesigning of the website and Commissioning within the specified schedule.
- Should the Service provider fail to complete the redesigning of the website and commissioning within the specified schedule, the Triggerise may consider cancellation of the contract at no extra cost if the Service Provider fails to make attempts to remedy the problem within one week of notification.
The proposal should include:
- Technical Proposal see attached brief
- Financial Proposal
Experience, Skills and Ability of Service Provider
Bidders’ track record which includes
- Past experience in similar work of this nature. Portfolio of previous web design work with links. Each assignment should include an outline that indicates, staff involved, duration of the assignment, contract amount and service providers involvement.
- Proposed Team members to undertake the assignment accompanied by brief CV's that indicate experience.
- The ability of the bidder to fulfil TRIGGERISE's requirements
Score: 30 points
Technical Approach and Execution Plan
- Proposals must contain the details of the proposed approach to be adopted in order to deliver the service in accordance with the Scope Of Work
- An execution plan with clear timelines.
Score: 30 Points
- Competitive rates for the consultancy service.
Score: 20 Points
- Did the bidder submit at least three relevant and contactable clients that were serviced in the past 36 months.
Score: 10 Points
- Proposals should clearly indicate whether or not bid participants have the capacity to meet the requirements of the Scope of Work
Score: 10 Points.
Total Score: 100 Points
Academic/ Professional Qualifications and experience of lead web developer.
- Contractor must be a legal entity registered in Kenya
- Contractor must be a reputable company with prior experience in the field
- Proven and solid knowledge and experience in providing similar service to reputable organizations
- Solid knowledge on web security and website design & hosting service
Provide any other relevant information that will add value to the proposal.
Use the emails(s) below to apply
Applicants for the Technical Director position should please submit your CV in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Kenya – Technical Director" in the subject line.
Applications/submissions for Website Designer are requested to submit their proposal documents (technical & financial) proposals to the Demand Generation Lead, Triggerise Kenya Ltd via mail email@example.com by 23rd July 2020.
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Kenya; this position is a local hire position in Kenya. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.