Reporting to: Senior Programme Manager
Remuneration: competitive salary commensurate with experience and with benefits.
The Programme Officer will be responsible for providing the day-to-day project management and administrative support for a range of individual projects within our Nairobi office.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
The responsibilities of the Programme Officer will cover all aspects of project management, including contracting, financial and logistical processes, documentation as specified below, with responsibilities growing as his/her capacity develops:
- Project Management and Administration
- Overall responsibility supporting implementation of individual projects to help ensure timely delivery of high-quality project deliverables, in coordination with the Team Leader;
- Undertake risk management of assigned projects, escalating to senior management when appropriate;
- Lead on project tracking including on team input days, deliverable deadlines, invoicing schedules, finances, etc.;
- Maintaining and updating project folders and management documents, spreadsheets and databases, ensuring that all relevant information is saved in a clear and accessible manner;
- Contributing to the establishment of new and improved project management processes, policies and procedures;
- Training staff and consultants on project management policies and procedures;
- Reviewing, drafting and managing client and consultant contracts;
- Communicating and building strong relationships with consultants and clients;
- Supporting the Senior Programme Manager in ensuring the development and implementation of systems for project management, and other tasks as required.
- Financial management of individual projects to ensure that spending is in line with contracts while managing any variances and providing financial forecasts to the Finance Manager and Senior Program Manager;
- Monitoring and ensuring compliance with the client contract and invoicing schedule;
- Reviewing consultant and staff invoices and expense claims;
- Preparing and raising client invoices in a timely manner;
- Keeping project related financial documentation up to date.
- Planning and coordinating project field missions with staff and consultants;
- Identifying services required for field missions and adhering to agreed budgets;
- Facilitating travel arrangements for staff and consultants, e.g. accommodation, visas and flights;
- Drafting country briefing manuals and ensuring they are kept up to date.
- Supporting with documentation of best practices on key projects
- Supporting Blog development for Development Pathways Website;
- Production of quality quarterly and end of project reports.
- A university degree in a relevant area, e.g. international development, international relations, business management, or project management;
- Excellent organisational skills with the capacity to work with little supervision;
- Time management skills, with the ability to work under pressure, manage own workload and prioritise tasks;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate appropriately and professionally with people at all levels and from diverse backgrounds;
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili;
- Excellent numeracy skills and proficiency with excel;
- Impeccable attention to detail;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Commitment to social justice, gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Previous experience in project management;
- A Master’s degree;
- Proficiency in another language such as French, Portuguese, Arabic, Somali etc.
Terms of Employment and Benefits
Recruitment will be at the junior level and is a permanent and full-time post. Along with basic salary, the successful candidate would receive an attractive package of the following:
- Comprehensive medical insurance for the whole family (spouse and children), which includes in and out-patients, dental and optical;
- Group life insurance;
- Company group pension;
- 26 days holidays which excludes public holidays;
- Company laptop.
The successful candidate may be expected to travel overseas on work-related assignments, up to a maximum of 4 weeks spread over a year.
Equality and diversity are at the core of Development Pathways’ values. In the selection of our staff, we are committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
We invite interested candidates who meet the requirements to email their applications to email@example.com
Applications should include:
- A one-page cover letter explaining why you are applying for this position, and how your recent relevant experience and skills meet the requirements for this position;
- A Curriculum Vitae (maximum of two pages) specifying your qualifications, education and relevant work experience.
If successful, we will expect the names, email addresses and daytime contact numbers of two referees, one of them being your current line manager/supervisor (please do not send this information with your application).
Closing date for this post will be 9 March, 2020.**
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a successful candidate may be selected prior to the closing date. Candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to complete a brief assessment and to participate in an interview.
Due to the h