At Flying Kites in Kenya, we are igniting the potential of vulnerable children in our School and LaunchPad. We believe that education is vital to alleviating suffering, increasing gender equality, and promoting economic sustainability. Through our emphasis on leadership and community, our students are being empowered to build their best lives and positively impact their families and communities.
- Employee conducts his/her designated duties with care and to the required expectations.
- Work involves reconciling all cash accounts, in kind donations as well as bank statements.
- Manages salary payments and statutory deductions, compiles organizational financial reports.
- Has a very good and proven competence with Microsoft Excel and Quick books.
- Employee should be able to work reliably and regularly with the Executive Director and board via email and using online tools for data storage.
- Should have proven ability to file tax via E-slip, make NSSF, HELB and NHIF payments.
- Employee reports directly to the Executive Director but is supervised by the Country Director.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Flying Kites, is a children's home based in Njabini, Kinangop that cares for children who have lost their families or are about to lose their families and invests in families before they lose their children.
Flying Kites is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer aiming to gain a workforce more representative of the wider community.
Smoking is prohibited in the home and school premises.
This position requires the incumbent to work from Njabini, Kinangop apart from the few occasions when taxes require filing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Participating in and supporting the timely and accurate preparation of budgets.
- General book-keeping Tracking, recording and monitoring expenditure.
- Preparation of monthly and annual financial statements and reports.
- Ensuring that all accounting transactions comply with controls.
- Proactively advising the staff on financials.
- Compiling tax reports / statutory returns (NHIF, NSSF, PAYE) and ensuring that they are submitted in a timely manner
- Withholding tax, VAT reconciliation and filing of VAT returns.
- Working with both external and internal auditors when required.
- Establishing and monitoring accounting control procedures.
- Keeping accounting systems up to date and making best-practices recommendations to management.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- CPA certification
- 1-3 years minimum work experience.
- Degree required (preferably in accounting)
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks
- Fluent in Kenyan tax and accounting codes/laws
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills
- Able to use Microsoft Excel and Quick books
- Highest ethical standards and integrity
- Ability to foster and thrive in a team environment
The Headmaster of the Flying Kites School will be in a unique position to develop and lead a team of educators who can deliver a high-level of schooling. We are looking for a strategic-thinker to hire, train and oversee a staff throughout a phase of intensive growth as we transition from a school that is recognized on a district level to one that is competitive nationally.
Primary School Headmaster Job Responsibilities
- Assuming ultimate responsibility for the management and operation of the school in accordance with organizational goals, in addition to all legal and administrative policies and regulations
- Providing instructional leadership that creates, implements, maintains, and enhances excellence, scholarship, and achievement for all students
- Leading in the development, evaluation, and revision of curriculum and assuming responsibility for the implementation of approved programs
- Liaise with parents and stakeholders within the community
- Preparing and supervising the creation of the master teaching schedule and maintaining an efficient office system to support the administrative functions of the school
- Providing an articulated, consistent education for all students while encouraging staff to develop innovative strategies, techniques and activities
- Overseeing the evaluation of instructional materials, including textbooks, computer programs, library/media acquisitions, and other instructional materials
- Supervising the maintenance of individual student records and reports of pupil progress
- Directing the development of the school’s budget including staffing needs and instructional resources
Requirements for the Primary School Headmaster Job
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Must have extensive experience (3+ years) in a management role at a primary or secondary school
- Proven leadership ability in school administration, curriculum development, program evaluation, staff development, school improvement, and staff supervision and evaluation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A passion for education, social justice and children
- Be willing to reside in Njabini, Kenya
Psychologist/Therapist Job Responsibilities
- Work therapeutically with students in our primary school (both boarding and day scholars)
- Undertake psycho-social assessments to identify the needs of the student, taking into consideration trauma experience, social functioning and development
- Develop a therapeutic plan working with each individual, taking account of identified needs, cultural context and trauma background
- Provide 1:1 counselling to students
- Educate students on the possible effects of trauma
- Mediate conflict between students and/or teachers
- Provide direct support services to individual students, small groups, and classrooms
- Refer clients to appropriate health services or other services to address identified needs
- Work collaboratively with our teachers and dorm staff and be available to discuss learning, behavioral, familial and social problems
- Provide recommendations on behavioral management techniques
- Participate in team meetings as required
- Evaluate and advise school disciplinary practices for ‘at risk’ students
- Prepare appropriate documentation and reports and maintain client database information for relevant parties
- Complete written reports as needed or as requested by Director of Programs
Qualifications for the Psychologist/Therapist Job
- University degree in Psychology
- Certificate of Qualification (LCSW)
- Experience in assessment and counselling of children, adolescents and families
- Demonstrated ability to engage clients effectively
- Demonstrated knowledge of child and adolescent development, emotional disorders and behavioral challenges
- Ability to manage caseload independently and work collaboratively in team environment
- Ability to work in line with a trauma informed care approach
- Up-to-date Children’s Check and National Police Check (Cert of Good Conduct)
The creative communications fellow is responsible for developing the content that drives our fundraising, including photographs, case stories, interviews, social media content and correspondence for our child sponsorship program.
This fellowship will be based at our Home in Njabini, Kenya – and applicants must be able to commit to a minimum of 6 months on-site. A monthly stipend is available for the right candidate.
Communications Job Responsibilities
- Develop material to support fundraising efforts on social media and web-based platforms.
- Capture on-going video and photographs of our programs in Kenya.
- Engage with donors, volunteers and child sponsors on a regular basis.
- Contribute to the Flying Kites blog and marketing materials.
- Produce timely, bold and cutting edge material to help Flying Kites stand out.
Qualifications for the Communications Job
- Self-driven, creative, passionate and thoughtful person.
- The ability to meet targets and generate compelling material.
- Knowledge of Social Media Platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Google+) .
- Detail-oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills.
About the Team
We work hard to cultivate a motivating office culture that ensures our entire team performs to the best of their ability. We set targets, we celebrate success and we encourage each other to try new things everyday. We will do whatever it takes for the children we serve and you will not find a more exciting place to work. Our Kenya-based team is the real deal; we work hard everyday to ensure that the children we serve receive the best. Join us.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Send in your application by clicking the Apply button below