If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
is a non-governmental, non-profit making organization, engaged in the field of veterinary relief and development work. VSF Germany was founded as a students’ initiative in 1991 at the University of Veterinary Medicine Hanover and is now a well-known NGO working in the Horn of Africa. The head office of VSF Germany is located in the capital town Berlin. Since the beginning the organization has developed very dynamically. Nowadays VSF Germany works in about 15 projects in Republic of Sudan, Republic of South Sudan, Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia. VSF Germany’s work focuses on those people, whose livelihoods depend heavily on livestock. It is our goal to improve their living conditions. For them healthy animals do not only have a high cultural value but simply mean food security and income generation. In Germany VSF Germany has more than 230 members and focuses on informing the German public about the situation of pastoralists in developing countries.
Duration : 4 months (1st September to 31st December 2017)
Directly supervise implementation of SCOS-NK project including community entry process, beneficiary registration, cash transfer to beneficiaries and continuous monitoring/supervision
Field project activity implementation and supervision
- Directly supervise project inception/community entry process in close collaboration with local authorities, Community level institutions including Community Disaster Management Committees and Relief Committees
- Actively undertake selection and registration process of CTP beneficiaries with the support of field monitors and data clerks
- Follow up on cash transfer to beneficiaries to ensure cash is received as required.
- Handle all complaints related to CTP emanating from beneficiaries and continuous field level monitoring of implementation progress
- Directly supervise community mobilizers/field monitor engaged to assist in activity implementation
- Document specific success/case/interest stories for publishing and communication purposes.
- Develop specific activity progress reports and relay to the Field Coordinator.
- Participate in project coordination meetings representing VSF Germany at Sub County and county level forums as required.
- Respond to cross cutting issues affecting the community in cooperation with specific expert agencies.
- Represent VSF Germany in relevant meetings and working groups at County level
- Actively document the programme implementation process to generate lesson learnt.
- Feed into the development of the programme by actively participating in strategy sessions and providing feedback to the process
- Generate project activity progress reports
- Build the capacity of your direct reports through the provision of technical support, training and advice Conduct Performance and Development Review for the field monitors in a timely manner.
- Degree in community development/ social studies/ NRM from reputable University or any other relevant degree with at least 3 years experience in implementing projects with INGOs.
- Previous experience in implementing donor funds in both emergency and development projects in ASAL context.
- Demonstrate ability to supervise staff, monitor budget, self starter initiative and pro-activity will be highly desirable.
- Good knowledge of micro-soft computer packages including Microsoft word, Excel, SPSS and internet browsers
go to method of application »
The purpose of Field Veterinarian position is to effectively implement Animal Health component of Protection of livelihood assets, improved water access and enhanced conflict mitigation in Northern Kenya project funded by German Foreign Assistance office. He/she will closely collaborate with County veterinary department in implementing the project Animal Health component.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Engages primarily in the implementation of Animal Health *Protection of livelihood assets, improved water access a**nd enhanced conflict mitigation* *in Northern Kenya project* in accordance with project design, implementation plan.
- Engage with County and Sub County veterinary technical personnel and other stakeholders in design and field implementation of livestock treatments and vaccination
- Give technical guidance in drug procurement to ensure good quality drugs livestock are procured
- Directly supervise livestock treatment and vaccination component of this project and ensure proper documentation of the same for reference and analysis.
- Keep an updated database of all animal health activities.
- Provides technical assistance and support to other team members of the project.
- Makes sure that project activities are performed in line with the work plan;
- Ensure that summary of community meetings, seminars or workshops facilitated and or attended by project staff is well documented and shared with others;
- Together with the Project Manager, compiles activity specific reports for all animal health activities in accordance to organization guidelines.
- Together with the Project Manager, properly document the achievements and lessons of the project activities and share with concerned stakeholders
- In close consultation with the Project Manager, liaise with relevant government institutions, counterparts, NGO and CBO partners with the objective of effective implementation of the project activities;
- Establish an effective working relationship with government, non-governmental and community based organizations;
- Work cordially with local partners, authorities and leaders in reaching the beneficiaries.
- Keeps herself/himself updated about recent developments in assigned technical area and related issues;
- Facilitate trainings, workshops, experience sharing visits, etc that are related to the needs of target beneficiaries in particular Community Disease Reporters
- University Degree in Veterinary Medicine from reputable university and up to registration with Kenya Veterinary Board is a must.
- At least 3 years of professional experience and NGO experience will be an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of working with pastoral communities will be an added advantage
- Language proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy in MS-Word, Excel;
- Interpersonal communication and report writing skills.
go to method of application »
The purpose of Construction Supervisor position is to provide technical and professional support in the implementation of construction and WASH components of the project. S/he will provide technical support, supervision and guidance to Team Leader, Field officer and Field monitor who will be involved in the implementation of the project.
Key areas of responsibility:
- The Construction Supervisor will be a primary focal person for construction and WASH component activities of the project and responsible for planning, implementation and monitoring of the same.
- Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date data/information required for effective rehabilitation of shallow wells and underground tanks with a particular focus on creating safe water access for humans and livestock.
- Conduct and lead assessment in the Turkana West and Turkana North sub-counties to inform identification of wells and underground tanks to be rehabilitated / constructed by the project based on technical specifications and community priority needs.
- Develop technical designs and BOQ of shallow wells and underground tanks to be worked on and ensure their approval by Turkana County Department of water.
- Ensure quality materials are procured by VSF-G and /or the contractor(s) for the construction works on shallow wells and underground tanks.
- Ensure a high quality of built structures through close supervision and monitoring of the construction activities.
- Ensure new and rehabilitated water sources of the project provide quality water services to beneficiaries in accordance to existing standards
- Submit timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and final reports on WASH component of the project.
- Plan and conduct capacity building by trainings of Water Users Committees (WUC) and communities on management of these structures to ensure a sustained utilization of the water sources
- Support other livelihood activities of the project as directed by the Team Leader.
- Represent the project in WASH technical working group (WESCOORD) in Turkana.
- Diploma in water/civil engineering/construction engineering from a recognized institution
- A minimum of 3 years post qualification experience in construction with a focus on WASH structures/sector; underground tanks, hand pump shallow and capacity building.
- Proficiency in computer aided design (CAD) softwares
- NGO experience in Turkana County is an asset
- Extremely flexible and able to work independently (self motivated).
- Interest in and ability to work in a team.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills.
Method of Application
Interested persons should read and strictly requirements in the Terms of Reference and submit their CV and application letter not later than Friday, 4th August, 2017.
The proposals should be sent to: email@example.com
Please indicate “Project Officer – Northern Kenya” in the subject line if applying for Project Officer.
Please indicate “Field Veterinarian-Northern Kenya” in the subject line if applying for Field Veterinarian.
Please indicate “Construction Supervisor - Kenya” in the subject line if applying for Construction Supervisor.
Review of the applications will be done on a rolling basis and selection of the successful candidate will be made when suitable applicant is identified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.