If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Options Consultancy Services Limited was established in 1992 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marie Stopes International. We are a consultancy organisation providing technical and management expertise in the health and social sectors to governments and international development partners to transform the health of women and children. We provide information, expertise and influence to governments, health workers, NGOs and businesses to catalyse change so that health services can be accessed by the people who need them most.
The Grants Programme Manager leads the End FGM grants scheme, overseeing and managing grant applications, grantee relationships, due diligence, contract compliance, and reporting and outcome measurement. The Grants Programme Manager is responsible for identifying and co-ordinating capacity building support that effectively targets grassroots organisations with the potential to grow and achieve impact.
Summary purpose and objective of role
The Girl Generation seeks to inspire organisations and individuals, including youth, across the ten most affected countries in Africa and beyond, to end FGM in one generation. We also support grassroots organization through the End FGM Grants Programme which provides flexible funding to grassroots organisations in our ten focal countries working to end FGM in order to support their work in the area of communications, advocacy and campaigning to end FGM. The Grants Programme Manager is responsible for delivering the Grants programme efficiently to reach the set number of grants disbursed by the end of the programme, per year and per country envelope. They will work to implement and review guidelines for grant management of the programme including compliance, due diligence, financial and administrative requirements. The Grants Programme Manager will support the capacity assessment and capacity building of grantee organisations on social change communication and organisational/grant management; as well as closely track and monitor awarded grants in line with The Girl Generation’s M&E Framework and be responsible for narrative and financial reporting to the donor.
- Oversee and manage the grants programme
- Deliver the grants programme efficiently to reach the set number of grants disbursed by the end of the programme, per year and per country envelope and develop a pipelines of grant applications
- Work with the Assistant Grants Manager to implement and periodically review guidelines for grant management of the programme including compliance, financial and administrative requirements, making recommendations for alterations as necessary;
- Work with others in The Girl Generation team, to promote grants through The Girl Generation membership base and to other eligible organisations;
- Work with the Assistant Grants Manager to respond to applicant enquiries about the scheme and The Girl Generation in a fast and concise manner to ensure proper support to potential applicants;
- Oversee and manage the review of grant applications in consultation with others according to set criteria, ensuring applications are in line with applicant criteria, financially sound and in-line with the aims and policies of The Girl Generation;
- Ensure complete and timely narrative and financial reporting on the grant programme according to grants scheme’s requirements and guidelines, including providing substantive content for reporting to funders;
- Oversee the due diligence of grantee organisations in collaboration with The Girl Generation Country Programme Officers as per the scheme’s guidelines, including compliance to Options and funder policies and the management / mitigation of programme risks;
- Ensure grantees hold and abide by child protection policies and The Girl Generation Do No Harm guidance;
- Engage closely with The Girl Generation’s Communications Team to ensure that an effective communications strategy is in place to advertise and inform about the grants scheme and its achievements;
- Build positive relationships with current and future grantees and inspire them to allow for a high number of grant applications, successful implementation of grants, and to support the growth of The Girl Generation network;
- Support and train the Country Programme Officers to enable them to successfully deliver their responsibilities in relation to the grants scheme.
- Capacity building and learning
- In close consultation with the Social Change Communications Manager, develop and oversee the implementation of a capacity building plan to increase the grantees’ Social Change Communications capacity and their organisational management, including the management of grants, writing proposals and accessing funding;
- Continuously support grantees in cross - learning through The Girl Generation events, social media platforms and by other means;
- Support the Programme Officers or other team members to conduct or facilitate capacity building training for grantees.
- Monitoring and evaluation of grants
- In collaboration relevant The Girl Generation staff, closely track and monitor awarded grants with the Nairobi-based Finance and Administration Manager, Assistant Grants Manager, Country Programme Officers, MEL Manager and the Programme Manager;
- Work with The Girl Generation Programme MEL Manager and Technical Specialist on implementing the M&E Framework for the scheme, in line with the overall The Girl Generation M&E Framework;
- Monitor the achievements of the grants, documenting achievements of the grants and changes these contributed to in ending FGM; and this will include monitoring visits to meet with grantees.
- Liaise with the Global Director, Director of Operations, Programme Management and Business Support Services team in London to ensure due diligence and contracting processes meet organisational requirements;
- Contribute to the design and support the implementation of reviews, mid-term or final evaluations.
- Other areas of programming
- As a member of The Girl Generation team:
- Increase the visibility of The Girl Generation;
- Support the TGG Communications Team in sourcing positive stories of change from the grantees via regular reporting and grantee engagement;
- Support in the development of The Girl Generation amplification platforms – including writing and contributing to The Girl Generation blog, website and social media channels, if required;
- Represent The Girl Generation in meetings, at public events or conferences as required;
- Attend and contribute to The Girl Generation aims by working with others in the team on prioritising work plan areas;
- Support The Girl Generation in leveraging further funding for the programme, including supporting the Global Director in external representation, if required.
- Line management of Assistant Grants Manager;
- Ensure that all work supported by The Girl Generation is aligned with the programme’s Do No Harm guidance.
- The candidate will hold a professional qualification or degree in a relevant subject
- Significant experience in managing high-risk, innovative grants programmes, preferably in Africa and/or low resource settings with a proven track record in disbursing grants directly to grassroots organisations in remote and diverse contexts.
- Experience in leading complex projects across multiple countries and diverse audiences
- Experience in communicating and promoting grant schemes to various stakeholders
- Experience in setting-up processes and procedures, and communicating these to external audiences often in remote locations
- Experience in remote management of programmes
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Strong organisational and financial management skills
- Proficiency in English (French and/or Arabic also desirable)
- Options is an equal opportunities employer
- Candidates are required to have the right to live and work in Kenya
- Candidate must be willing and able to travel internationally, particularly to the ten TGG focal countries
Method of Application
Applicants should please send CV with a summary note of your skills and experience to Kit Catterson email@example.com. Candidates should state the role in the subject header