The ELCA is a community of faith that shares a passion for making positive changes in the world. Our faith is built around a strong belief in God as made known to us in Jesus Christ. Through worship, service, and education, we practice our faith, grow our relationship with God and experience God's grace in our lives.
We also work hard to put our faith into action. In today’s complex world, we strive to make a difference in practical, realistic ways.
The Communications Consultant is responsible for fostering and maintaining relationships with the media, partner organizations, national, and international institutions, governmental officials, staff of the Kenya Evangelical Lutheran Church (KELC) and membership. They are fostering greater awareness about KELC and facilitating opportunities for KELC to increase its visibility to the public and to the partners. The duties of the Communications Consultant shall cover the areas of communication, project management and development issues and the duties are outlined below:
- Planning, organizing, and directing overall communication strategies and public information activities for KELC;
- Managing, planning, directing, controlling and implementing an proactive communication program to enhance the reputation of the KELC and visibility of the field;
- Overseeing internal and external communications and presentations, in close relation and consultation with the leadership of KELC and its departments and committees;
- Overseeing the KELC's digital communication, including the content for the Website, social media, and newsletters;
- Developing, maintaining and promoting an ongoing service for members and interested external organizations that circulates updated news about KELC, its membership, development areas, progress and also to co-ordinate, oversee and attend press activities, such as press releases and events in which the church has an interest or stake;
- Maintaining extensive and positive relationships with national and international media, partners and well-wishers;
- Developing and implementing annual strategic communication plans that include goals, activities, materials, and performance indicators;
- Providing detailed reports of communications activities, including return-on-investment analyses;
- Supporting communication goals of KELC regarding national and global advocacy around issues relevant to the church, disciplinary and cross-disciplinary debates;
- Participating in strategic planning of the church with stakeholders and the Executive Board of the church;
- Identify communication needs and goals of KELC. He/she will conduct a periodic needs assessment to understand how KELC communicates internally and externally and identify gaps and opportunities;
- Develop and implement a master 'branding' plan for KELC with input from key expert members;
- Develop and implement annual plans that include goals, activities, materials, and performance indicators. Annual plans should be discussed with key KELC leadership;
- Produce content for distribution through several information channels and platforms. Content could be gathered through several mechanisms. The Communications Consultant should work with the Youth Department of KELC, its journal editors and editorial teams to pick noteworthy and newsworthy items and reflections that should go into KELCs website, social media and newsletter. Also, the Communications Consultant should work closely with KELC officers to identify relevant events and opportunities. The Communications Consultant should maintain an updated database of experts on various technical areas (e.g. health, disaster response, fundraising, media/information policy, environment, politics, race, ethnicity, religion, war/conflict) in order to contact them to address press inquiries and participate in various venues and events.
- Manage and handle several information channels and platforms (from live interviews to press releases to social media);
- Coordinate/provide logistical support to members/groups/divisions organizing local, national, and international events primarily aimed at raising the visibility of KELC;
- Develop and maintain KELCs website and online presence through social media etc. Promote the visibility of KELC through relevant journals, publications, media appearances and links to key institutions and people;
- Monitor appearances of KELC and its members in media, as well as participation in forums focused on funding, church affairs etc;
- Mentor and build capacity in other people within KELC who shall take over the running of the department upon the expiry of the term of the candidate;
- Travel as assigned by the supervisor or designated superior.
- Interpret the mission and ministry of companions back to the ELCA through newsletters, blogs, and visits to ELCA congregations and members.
- The Communications Consultant will be based in Nairobi.
- The Communications Consultant reports directly to the Bishop of KELC and will work closely with KELCs Youth Coordinator.
- The Communications Consultant is a position combining the roles of communication, projects management and church development roles. This person will be responsible for spearheading strategic direction initiatives and planning, coordination, and management of the KELCs integrated communication and publicity, public relations, project management and development affairs.
- The Communications Consultant will work with both external and internal actors and constituencies to promote the field of communication, self-sustenance and good management of KELCs projects. In addition, the Communications Consultant will create and communicate, in constant consultation with the top leadership of KELC, the organization's messages and ensure overall continuity of institutional brand consistency and image.
- Moreover, the Communications Consultant will support KELCs staff and board in developing and maintaining strategic partnerships with external partners, organizations and funders. The Communications Consultant will also develop and implement initiatives that would serve KELCs membership, and thus increase the benefit of being a member.
- A minimum of a bachelors degree in a relevant field, including public relations, journalism, communication, or marketing, project management, development studies;
- A minimum of three years professional experience, ideally with some experience with nonprofit, religious or para-church organizations but any other areas will be considered and discussed;
- Excellent communication skills, particularly when dealing with international or multilingual audience;
- Ability to handle multiple projects under time and resource pressure;
- Be detail and results-oriented, and have strong knowledge of budget processes and evaluation of outcomes analysis;
- Working knowledge of media operations and expertise in the field of public relations and release of information for publication;
- Ability to develop communication strategies related to organizational policies in collaboration with a diverse team;
- Familiarity with the field of communication;
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the application of theories, principles and practices of communication as they relate to public information services;
- Knowledge of the latest advances in effective use of digital and social media for effective corporate communication, including (ideally) online communities, search as engine optimization and other digital marketing and communication tools;
- Ability to develop and maintain strategic networks of people and institutions to disseminate KELC-related news and information to;
- Multilingual skills.
Terms and Conditions
This position is supported under the terms of ELCA Global Mission Expectations and Support for Long Term Global Personnel. Those provisions include: international transportation, transportation related to work assignment, pensions and major medical coverage, assistance with schooling for children through high school, housing and cash salary which is adjusted according to the goods and services differential for Kenya
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Evangelical Lutheran Church in America career website on elca.atsondemand.com to apply