If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Heshima Kenya is an international nongovernmental organization based in Nairobi, Kenya dedicated to identifying, protecting refugee children and empowering unaccompanied and separated refugee children and youth, especially adolescent girls, through our specialized shelter, education and advocacy programs.
The organization has been rebranded to RefuSHE.
Child Protection & Case Management Coordinator
This role is responsible for all aspects case management and child protection including design and enforcement of strategy, policy and implementation of related activities. This position will ensure that the planned interventions are technically sound and encompass the best international standards related to case management and child protection.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership in planning, implementation, monitoring case management and, child protection activities and policy
- Coordinates and oversees initiation of Best Interest Processes for individual cases through BIAs, BIDs, making arrangements for alternative care, family tracing/reunification, coordinating home visits as well as reviewing and recommending case management services/ support
- Supervises and provides technical support to the case management team in the implementation of child protection and case management activities including organizing monthly case committees and conferences
- Coordinates the expansion of case management and child protection programming in close collaboration with the Associate Director, DoP and the other team members
- Receives and coordinate referrals, arranging action and reviewing services for the persons of concern in line with the organization safe shelter and girls empowerment policies and criteria
- Oversees the maintenance of accurate, confidential and up to date documentation of all cases in the Safe House.
- Works directly with children and their families as may be required to. Develops, promotes, strengthens and implements the individual child/family development plans that promote child welfare and protection from harm alleviating suffering
- Supports the care of children where their living arrangements are at risk of breakdown including conducting BIDs for separation and alternative care placement/arrangement
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field of case management and child protection by liaising with UNHCR, Children department and attending child protection network meeting/events
- Ensures that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration with partner organization.
- Participates in the production and publication of child protection and case management information communication materials as well as updating the program team on the current trends in CP and case management
- Reports any child protection concerns related to staff, partners or consultants to the Associate Director as well as recommending appropriate action on the matter(s).
- In coordination with other program teams, formulates, coordinates and conducts quality research and policy analysis on child protection issues addressing the determinants of the SGBV and child violations in regards to unaccompanied and separated minors mostly
- Actively contributes to identification of new funding opportunities, proposal writing and strategy development
- Actively supports the Associate Director and the DoP in drafting of program reports adhering to set timelines
- Undertakes other responsibilities/duties not outlined above which are commensurate with a role of this nature in the humanitarian sector and which have been discussed and agreed between the line manager/superiors and the post holder.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- A University degree in the social sciences, preferably in social work, community work, sociology or other related fields. A master’s degree in humanities will be added advantage
- Excellent professional track record with at least four years of experience in coordination of case management/child protection within NGO or government sector
- Experience in coordination of child protection / humanitarian program implementation among refugees especially unaccompanied and separated minors will be preferred
- Experience working in the UN Agencies or other international development organization, and field work experience will be an advantage
- Good knowledge and understanding of international child protection and case management standards, policies and practice issues.
- Strong proficiency in budget management, grants management and reporting.
- Proven experience supervising and providing case management services and support
- Strong writing and analytical skills, including ability to communicate technical matters to a range of audiences.
- Outstanding skills in team work and leadership, and comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- At least 2-3 years of staff management experience, including staff capacity development and performance appraisals
- Good coping strategies in stressful situation maintaining calmness and soberness
- High integrity and sense of responsibility
- Fluent in spoken and written Kiswahili and English.
- Somali language or Amharic advantage Proficiency in Micro soft Office
Method of Application
Your application should be sent to the address below indicating the position applied in the email subject by close of business Thursday 21st February 2019. Applications should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format and given your sir name) with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of three referees, one of which should be your current supervisor.
Please note that RefuSHE does not charge any fees for receiving or processing job applications. RefuSHE is an equal opportunity employer.
NB. All applications should only be sent through the email provided:
P.O Box 63192 – 00619 Nairobi Kenya
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.