OVERVIEW OF WESTERN KENYA SANITATION PROGRAMME (WKSP)
The Western Kenya Sanitation Project (WKSP) purpose is to create a financially sustainable, transformative, replicable, and locally owned sanitation marketplace in the target counties of Western Kenya (Busia, Bungoma, Homa Bay, Kakamega, Kisii, Kisumu, Migori, and Siaya).
It is expected that, ultimately, customers must be able and willing to pay for products and services – a key point being to eliminate the need for subsidies or donor support. The two objectives and four sub-objectives to achieve this goal are:
- Objective 1: Increased access to and uptake of market-based improved sanitation and faecal sludge management (FSM) products and services.
- Objective 2: Increased access to and uptake of market based improved menstrual hygiene management (MHM) products and services at the household level.
- Sub-Objective 1: Analyze the Market System, the Target Market, and the Business Enabling Environment for Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Sub-Objective 2: Identify, Implement and Scale Pilots to Strengthen the Sanitation Market System.
- Sub-Objective 3: Identify, Implement and Scale Pilots to Strengthen the Market for Menstrual Hygiene Management Products.
- Sub-Objective 4: Strengthen the Enabling Environment.
Through the achievement of the above objectives, it is expected that in five years, the target counties will have laid the groundwork for a financially sustainable, transformative, and locally owned sanitation market place, where customers can easily find and procure the products and services that they need and where enterprises are motivated to improve products and services and to invest in marketing and sales.
The Access to Finance Lead will provide leadership in the Access to Finance portfolio of the programme.
- Participate in development of programme logical frameworks and M&E plans
- Ensure that WKSP achieves its objectives and performance targets
- Ensure that WKSP adhere to Amref, RTI and USAID programmatic policies and operational guidelines
- Participate in continuous monitoring and evaluation through quality data collection, analysing and dissemination.
- Take lead in engaging private sector participation in Market Based Sanitation and Menstrual Hygiene Management
- Ensure timely and quality reporting while adhering to set standards
- Participate in documentation and promotion of innovative financing in programme implementation
- Promote networking with the various stakeholders – relevant County Government Departments, private sector partners and communities.
- Participate in the preparation and review of annual work plans and budgets
- Facilitate partnerships with micro-finance institutions to offer innovative and sustainable sanitation loan products
- Participate in all programme advocacy forums
- Provide support in the design and roll out of innovative sanitation and hygiene business models.
The Western Kenya Sanitation Programme is an ambitious partnership programme between RTI, Amref and PSI with its prime being RTI. It has programme teams drawn from the three organizations. It is expected that the team members must be able to work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment – with one team – one project concept. The ideal candidate should be highly motivated, entrepreneurial, resourceful, flexible, independent, energetic, with excellent communications skills, cultural sensitivity and has demonstrated experience supporting technical assistance projects.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Environmental Health/Science or other relevant fields.
- Post graduate training in related field will be an added advantage.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Seven (7) years’ experience in implementation of urban/rural sanitation and hygiene promotion in Kenya.
- Experience in project planning and management
- Clear understanding of rural/urban sanitation and hygiene policies and guidelines within Kenya including market-based sanitation approaches
- Experience in facilitation of partnerships with micro-finance institutions for innovative and sustainable sanitation loan products
- Experience working with County Governments
- Have strong analytical and networking skills
- Ability to work independently
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with people from all backgrounds
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Willing to travel across the county of deployment