The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an Assistant Mechanical Technician: Boiler operator to be responsible for the installation, refurbishment, repairs and maintenance of the boilers, steam generator, steam systems pipe works and controls, Fuel systems, associated plumbing works, and other related facilities in the institute, to ensure that the facilities perform reliably, efficiently, cost effectively, and safe to use or operate. The job holder also coordinates with outsourced suppliers contracted to do projects and repairs of like nature.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
- Ensure boilers, steam generators, steam systems pipework and controls, hot water systems and fuel system works are done as per the laid down standards and protocols.
- Plan, and participate in coming up with specifications, interpretation of blueprints, construction, installation, commissioning, modification, maintenance, and repair of boiler, steam generators, steam system pipework, controls, and other related works.
- Prepare standard operating procedures for boiler, Steam generators, steam system pipework, controls, and other works to ensure proper care, usage and maintenance of these equipment and tools so to continuously provide services, promote improvement of workplace safety and other conducive environmental practices.
- Prepare and present weekly job card reports, status, closure, and analysis, pre-empt adverse trends and appropriate conclusions and recommendations for tasks under their charge.
- As delegated by the immediate supervisor coordinate with external service providers and contractors to ensure efficient and up to expected standard of service in daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually.
- Work with others to prepare the terms of reference and bills of quantities for various in-house and outsourced works.
- Carry out installation, operation, and maintenance of all the boiler, steam generator, steam system controls and pipework, hot water systems (associated plumbing pipework and controls, etc).
- Assist in carry out operation of other specialised plants, like, incinerator, cremator, and effluent treatment plant, etc.
- Ensuring that all preventive maintenance in boilers and other related equipment are in place. These are daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual, procedures in boiler, steam generators, steam systems and auxiliary equipment.
- Participate in the handling and transportation of related equipment wherever it is required in any section of the Institute.
- Assist in confirming specifications while the Institute is procuring of new equipment by providing technical specifications in plumbing, drainage, boiler, steam and other activities in relevant areas of their work.
- Updating the stores department on the spares to restock and which ones are obsolete.
- Perform any other related duties as may be required.
- Diploma in mechanical engineering (Boiler operations /technology/Plant option) with one year experience or Certificate in boiler operation/technology and high school certificate with 3 years’ working experience.
- Multiskilled person who can proof, and handle plumbing and drainage will be an added advantage.
- Willingness to progress in training and development is mandatory.
- Knowledge in reporting faults, execution, and resolution and closing of jobs through computer systems
- Team player and capable of working with minimum supervision
- Working knowledge of health, safety, environmental and security expectations.
- Innovative and creative in solving emerging challenges.
Closing date: 30 May 2022