Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
The World Agroforestry Centre, is an international institute headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and founded in 1978. The Centre specializes in the sustainable management, protection and regulation of tropical rainforest and natural reserves.
The position also requires to establish and maintain close collaboration with Vietnamese government partners, most importantly departments and research institutes under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), private sector and stakeholders of other climate projects.
Duties and responsibilities
Under supervision of the Country Coordinator, the Climate Change Specialist cum Project Manager is expected to perform the following tasks and responsibilities:1. Project manager: Learning Center for Zero Emission and Climate Resilience in Northern Viet Nam (LEARN-VN) (2023- 2025)
- Provide overall project management, ensuring effective implementation of project activities, preparation of annual work and financial plans, communication, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and reporting;
- Provide scientific/techincal support to the prooject team and effectively coordinate all partners in the delivery of project activities, ensuring that partners adhere to quality standards in the course of project implementation.
- Ensure efficiency in the utilization of project resources and effective delivery of outputs;
- Provide scientific/techincal leadership in climate research and capacity development activities undertaken by the project;
- Manage national staff under supervision and provide guidance and coaching for staff development
- Prepare annual reports and other high-level communication materials required by BftW and ICRAF;
- Liaise with BftW, Thai Nguyen University of Agriculture and Forestry (TUAF) on matters pertaining to the project.
Climate researcher: Agroecology for resilient landscapes for the poor in Northern uplands of Viet Nam (A4P), funded by BftW (2021-2025)
- Lead Activity 3 on climate risk assessment, gender-specific capacity development on climate impacts with key farmers and local partners;
- Contribute to Activity 4 on assessment for climate change mitigation co-benefits in agroforestry systems and estimation of net carbon removal in the project area
- Contribute to other activities of the project where relevant.
Partnership, outreach, and program development
- Author peer-reviewed publication and ensure quality research outputs including scientific publications, policy briefs, project-related documents and extension materials;
- Pro-actively engage national partners, e.g. MARD, MONRE, private sector companies and research institutes
- Build and maintain partnerships with partners and donors
- Promote CIFOR-ICRAF work through conference presentations, blogs, organizing and attending workshops
- Lead or contribute to development of concept notes and proposals
- Serve as a member of management team at CIFOR-ICRAF Viet Nam office and contribute to the country program development and management where relevant
- Perform other tasks as deemed necessary
- Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in climate change, integrated agroforestry system, crop science, soil science, agriculture, forestry, Sustainable NRM, and/or related field
Proven publication records.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience after Ph.D., preferably related to agroforestry system, climate change, crop science, soil science, agriculture, sustainable NRM and/or rural development
- Experience in working with not-for-profit organizations and government institutions.
- Experience in project management.
- Fluent in English both oral and written.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Pro-active and independent way of working
- Strongly outcome-oriented
- Excellent writing skills in English and Vietnamese, including scientific writing
- Experience in proposal development
- Well organized and demonstrated ability in time management
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, verbally and in writing, in both English and Vietnamese.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multicultural teams
- Demonstrated ability to generate creative, practical approaches to overcoming challenging situations
- Demonstrated ability to manage a range of staff and consultants
- Good computer literacy (especially for modeling software)
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to see research and ideas having positive impact in practice
- Independent, rigorous, excellent social skills, and passionate and motivated by the social and environmental impact potential of their work
- Comfortable with public speaking and workshop facilitation
- Willing to spend time in the field
- Multi-tasking person and able to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Open to receiving feedbacks from others
The application deadline is 31 Mar, 2023