About the Project
The purpose of conducting CSOs capacity assessment is to appreciate the efforts directed towards gender equality, economic empowerment of women, human rights, gender and NRM as per sustainable development goals and in line with country integrated development plans One of the key activities of the project is the capacity building of local CSO’s in project locations of Wajir East and Wajir South sub-counties to champion human rights, gender, NRM and livelihood issues. Any capacity building measure to these partners are best informed by conducting in-depth capacity assessment on individual civil society organizations so that precise development support is prioritized and tailored accordingly.
Therefore, IRK is looking for the service of a consultant to conduct an organization capacity assessment for 4 selected CSOs in Wajir and subsequently develop a capacity building plan on the same.
To develop a comprehensive assessment report on each of the 4 CSOs inclusive of recommended prioritized development plan.
Scope of Work (Some of the Key areas that the consultant would need to focus during assessment include):
- System reviews within the organization i.e. Grant Management, HR policies and Procedures, IT, complain and feedback mechanisms, security operating procedures
- Program development, programming, delivery, resource mobilization and organization continuity
- Partnerships and relationships
- Organization principles, values and culture
- Organization governance and leadership
- Financial systems, procedures and internal controls (audited accounts), management letters and recommendations
The assessment is expected to utilize methodologies well aligned with the tasks at hand. The methodology will involve collection of primary data from pre-identified CSOs. Additionally, a participatory methodology involving organization board of governors, senior, middle and junior staff during the exercise, on-sport check and review of last 3 years relevant organization documents.
- Development of an inception report highlighting details of the deliverables and methodologies, detailed tools, and instruments (First the inception report will be approved by IRK before allowing any assessment). The agreement with the consultant can be terminated if the inception report is not approved). This would include all practical operational tools that would be deployed in the assessment, the work plan including assessment and report deliveries.
- Questionnaire Testing – the consultant will be responsible to test the tools of the assessment. Refinement will be checked after field testing;
- First Draft Assessment Report – The outline for this delivery could be agreed in the inception report. But it should meet the assessment objectives put in the TOR. The timing frame could also be included in this TOR, as well.
The Organizational Capacity Assessment (OCA) should be completed within a maximum of 10 working days from the commencement of the task. The consultant should submit the detailed breakdown of the evaluation timetable based on the following major activities as a guideline or suggestion:
- Development OCA design & tools and methodology approach
- Review of documentation
- Contact of assessment to four organizations
- Data analysis and report writing
- Preparation and submission of the first draft report
- Meetings with IRK and assessed organization management on initial findings and recommendations
- Incorporation of comments and finalization of the OCA report
The consultant should:
- Possess excellent assessment skills and must have experience with local CSOs dynamics in Wajir County/North Eastern Kenya.
- Agree with IRK team (management, technical leads and MEAL team) on the methodology of the assessment.
- . Produce a work-plan of the task with doable agreed timelines
- Lead on the assessment process and outputs
- Draft and finalize data collection tools
- Collect and analyze data
- Submit the draft assessment report to IRK
- Submit the final assessment report incorporating comments and inputs from assessed organizations and IRK
- Facilitate the work as per the specified activity and time frame in the outline above
- Provide relevant project documents to the consultant
- Effect payments according to the agreement
- Provide timely feedback on the report from all relevant staff members.
Interested candidates in the position are expected to provide the following documentation:
- A technical proposal with detailed response to the TOR, with specific focus on addressing the scope of work and methodology to be used
- Sample of previous works on Organizational capacity assessment or related work, etc.
- Initial work plan based on methodology outlined, and indication of availability
- A financial proposal detailing the daily rate expected, all relevant transportation costs, accommodation costs, etc. and initial work plan
- CVs of individual consultants/interested consulting firms profiles including a minimum of 3 traceable, recent and relevant references
- Team composition with a lead consultant, and a CV of each person to be involved in the assignment, including relevant experience
Interested applicants to submit a request through the following email: Procurement.email@example.com
with clear subject line Tender Reference: IRK/CON/FSYD/002/2020
Completed applications should be submitted not later than 23rd February 2020
Selection of the consultant(s) will be based on:
- How well the proposal meets the requirements set out in the Terms of Reference.
- Relevant skills and experience.
- Value for money. The consultant should clearly demonstrate technical capacity to successfully complete the stated objectives with minimal supervision from IRK. The consultant should clearly demonstrate the ability to present data in an objective, concise, precise, and easy to understand manner.