As a Director, you are responsible for leading a team who delivers the M4D learning agenda, thought leadership and data analysis for one or two M4D programmes. You lead on the development and delivery of high-quality, innovative and relevant research/data products to inform the mobile industry of key trends, insights and analysis. You also contribute towards shaping the overall strategic direction of the programme to ensure it delivers commercial value and socioeconomic impact. In this role, you manage a team of professionals in charge of delivering the learning agenda of the programme. This role frequently represents the GSMA at external events to share the insights and data from his/her programme.
Fixed Term - March 2022
About The Role
The team is seeking an experienced & dedicated director who will be responsible for leading research on financial inclusion and the development of mobile money across low- and middle-income countries.
We are looking for candidates who are familiar with mobile money and or the financial inclusion space
Key Responsibilities Include
Leadership of the Insights and Data stream to deliver programme KPIs and meet donor commitments:
- Overall accountability for delivering the data & insights vision and strategy in line with existing donor commitments
- Lead the process to produce the GSMA’s cornerstone State of the Industry Report (SOTIR)
- Oversee the development of infrastructure designed to ensure the security, integrity, and accuracy of our data
- Lead the process of commissioning and delivering insights on how mobile money is evolving toward a payment platform and what this means for the industry and for the most underserved communities
- Support the Head of Financial Inclusion & AgriTech in the strategic leadership of the GSMA Mobile Money Programme
- Reporting to donors and M4D leadership to capture programme progress and escalate and address any risks/challenges.
Partnerships and representation with internal / external partners
- Build trusted relationships with donors and programme partners
- Inspire and influence key programme stakeholders and partners from the mobile industry and financial inclusion space at large to support the data and insights team’s work
Leadership And Team Management
- Be a role model and provide strong leadership to the team, aligned with the GSMA’s values.
- Lead a multicultural; and high-performance team: ensuring and maintaining a strong team ethos, clarity in roles and responsibilities, alignment on strategy and programme priorities and awareness of KPIs and deliverables
- Proactively work with the Head of Financial Inclusion & AgriTech to ensure operational excellence and alignment with GSMA and M4D’s strategy
- Identify areas for synergies with other M4D programmes and work closely with them where relevant
- Maintain a culture of collaboration within the programme, and with the rest of the organisation to increase shared learning, create opportunities, maximise impact and increase value for money for our donor partners.
- Demonstrable experience in managing large datasets to deliver analytical outputs
- Strong understanding of research methods and a track record of delivering research that is rigorous, insightful, easily digestible and actionable
- Excellent analytical capabilities and can apply critical thinking to new topic areas and identify the most relevant points and key messages
- Strong familiarity with the mobile money industry and financial inclusion space including an active interest in the potential of digital financial services to contribute positively to local societies and economies in low- and middle-income countries
- Familiarity with the essential elements of data security and how to ensure they are implemented.
- Experience managing consultants and large research projects to deliver results
- Experience working with donors, the international development community or multi-lateral organisations
- Experience in leading and developing diverse and distributed teams
- Experience managing complex multi-stakeholder relationships and delivering multi-stakeholder projects, including mobile operator C-level executives
- Able to quickly grasp new concepts and ideas (given the level of innovation in our sector and the wider industry) and proactively communicate and work as part of a global team
- Excellent team-work abilities to support the team effectively and proactively and the wider GSMA in order to achieve collective programme and M4D goals
- Excellent communicator: able to express complex technical or commercial issues in plain language, without losing the important points
- Interest and ability to support professional development of team members
- Fluent and compelling written and oral communications skills in English