Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
BasiGo is an e-mobility start-up looking to revolutionize the public transportation sector by providing public transport bus owners with a cost-effective electric alternative to diesel. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, our team is strategically composed of seasoned entrepreneurs who have spent over a decade working and innovating within electric vehicle t...
Read more about this company
You might like this job if:
- You believe electric transportation is the future and want to make it a reality,
- You’re passionate about managing risks, and balancing sustainability compliance without compromising the company’s ,ission and growth,
- You get excited about building systems, processes and policies from scratch. You thrive in ambiguity and can adapt to change.
Sustainability Strategy Development:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to formulate and execute the company's sustainability strategy, integrating sustainability goals into business operations including defining relevant impact areas, indicators and targets, and prepare a methodology that supports the goals.
- The sustainability strategy will also set the framework for BasiGo’s ESG strategy, integrating sustainability goals into business operations including, supply chain, and decision-making processes.
- Research and analyze industry trends, best practices, and regulations related to eMobility, sustainable transportation, and supply chain sustainability to inform strategic planning.
ESG Management Systems, Policies, & Compliance
- Perform internal and third-party risk assessments and develop and implement an ESG Management System including updating ESG policies, guidelines, and standards to ensure alignment with relevant stakeholder requirements (including regulatory and investor requirements).
- Carry out periodic audits (including contractors and supply chain) to assess compliance with relevant stakeholder requirements (including regulatory and investor requirements).
- Monitor and report on compliance with ESG policies, identifying potential risks and recommending corrective actions.
KYC, ABC, & AML Compliance:
- Perform a risk assessment and design, develop, and oversee the implementation of a robust set of policies & processes for KYC, ABC, AML, and Sanctions Risks. Ensuring compliance with local and international regulations and best practice. Ensure that BasiGo has appropriate measures in place to identify and mitigate suspicious and illegal activities as required by law.
Stakeholder Education and Engagement:
- Lead and collaborate with cross functional teams to develop and deliver training programs for employees, suppliers and business partners, to enhance their understanding of impact and ESG principles, compliance requirements, and their role in supporting sustainable practices within the supply chain and our operations
- Foster a culture of impact and ESG awareness, ethical conduct, compliance, and environmental responsibility across both locations by promoting employee engagement and involvement in relevant initiatives.
- Foster relationships with key stakeholders, including government agencies, local communities, NGOs, suppliers, and investors, to enhance understanding and support for the company's ESG and compliance efforts.
- Develop, manage, and raise awareness of BasiGo’s grievance mechanisms to relevant stakeholders, and manage grievance handling and reporting.
- Prepare and manage the company's sustainability reporting, ensuring accurate and transparent disclosure of impact and ESG performance to internal and external stakeholders.
- In collaboration with relevant departments, develop and implement methodologies to measure the company's environmental, social, and economic impact
- Conduct regular assessments to evaluate the effectiveness of sustainability initiatives across both company operations and the supply chain, proposing improvements based on findings.
Innovation and Collaboration:
- Stay informed about emerging trends and practices in impact, ESG, eMobility, supply chain sustainability, and compliance, sharing insights and recommendations with the leadership team.
Our ideal candidate would have:
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor's or master's degree in a relevant field such as Environmental Science, Sustainability, Business Administration, Risk Management, or related disciplines.
- Proven experience (+ years, 7-10 preferred) in ESG management, risk management, or corporate social responsibility. An added benefit if this has been within Africa and/or China, and in the transportation or renewable energy sectors.
- In-depth knowledge of international ESG standards reporting frameworks (e.g., GRI and ISSB)
- Strong working knowledge of IFC Performance Standards, ILO Standards, United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, and EDFI Principles for Responsible Financing of Sustainable Development.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Understanding of GHG protocol including calculation of scope 1, 2, & 3
- ISO management systems certification ( ISO 4500, ISO 14001 and or ISO 26000
Skills & Attitude
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret complex data to drive informed decision-making.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively across departments and engage with external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated project management capabilities, with the ability to lead and execute multiple initiatives simultaneously.