The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is currently recruiting a Finance Officer (FO) for a two-year, FCDO-funded project entitled the Kenya Elections Support Programme (KESP). The program is expected to build upon electoral reforms previously supported by FCDO/DFID in Kenya to contribute to a credible, peaceful and inclusive 2022 general election in Kenya. The program will support:
- Meaningful electoral reforms early in the electoral cycle and effective coordination between relevant institutions;
- Improvement on standards achieved in the 2017 election, and incorporation of lessons learned for more effective planning, management, strategic communication and stakeholder engagement to build public trust;
- An enabling environment that leads to more women, youth and persons with disabilities (PWDs) turning out to vote and elected to representative posts; and,
- Strengthened domestic election observation and monitoring.
- The FO will provide office financial, administrative and operation support to the IFES-Kenya field office. Specifically, FO will support the Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) with the day-today management and operationalization of IFES-Kenya’s financial and administrative systems.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The FO will assist the DFA with the processing and execution of all financial transactions, expense tracking and record keeping, day-to-day office administration, management of local contracts and purchase orders, and other general support to program activities. Furthermore, the FO will assist with/be responsible for:
- Preparing local procurement packages and ensure procurements and expenditures are in accordance with FCDO and IFES policies and regulations.
- Collecting office bills and making payments for regular office expenditures via credit card or IFES’ payment processing system.
- Ensuring that all deposits and expenses are supported by appropriate documentation as required by IFES policy and donor regulations and are allocated to the appropriate budget category/chart of accounts.
- Preparing vouchers in QuickBooks and preparing of checks for all project expenditures into QuickBooks accounting system.
- Preparing, in close cooperation with the DFA, monthly financial reports with supporting documentation for all accounts, to be sent to IFES Headquarters as required.
- Preparing end of month bank reconciliation and processing monthly payroll including withholding and payment of the necessary taxes to the authorities.
- Forecasting field office monthly operational costs for cash flow management and preparing monthly wire transfer requests when necessary.
- Reviewing petty cash custody and reconciliation as required.
- Processing VAT exemptions for all applicable payments.
- Tracking local employees’ vacation and sick leave accruals and usages.
- Supporting the preparation of program events.
- Overseeing the day-to-day management of all suppliers/vendors and managing all contracts/leases.
- Providing supervision and mentoring to team members as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the DFA and/or the CD.
SKILLS and SPECIFICATIONS:
- Demonstrated professional experience and knowledge in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), budgeting and fiscal control principles.
- Familiarity with FCDO rules and regulations on financial management and procurement.
- Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- Ability to complete tasks with limited supervision;
- Excellent reporting and document handling skills;
- Excellent communication skills in order to be able to work with IFES program and administrative staff to identify and resolve issues.
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality.
- Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment.
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness.
- Ability to handle sensitive issues and address inclusion matters with integrity
EDUCATION and QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Management or related required.
- 4 years of experience working with international NGOs on implementation of international technical assistance programs.
- Experience working on FCDO-funded or other donor-funded programs.
- Demonstrated professional experience and knowledge in financial and administrative management.
- Relevant skills in automated accounting software systems and database spreadsheets.
- Proficiency in Word, Power point, Outlook and Excel.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Professional level of oral and written fluency in English required.
TRAVEL: Travel may be required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job