Reports to Director of Program Strategy Development and Innovation
Direct reports – No direct reports
- Business development unit
- Director of Program implementation and quality
- Technical Advisors
- Global and Regional functional and thematic leads
- Regional Gender and Inclusion Specialist
- Program Unit (PU) Managers, Project Managers and PU staff
- Functional departments Heads at KCO
- Member of the e-CMT
- National and County authorities especially relevant ministers in the country e.g. Gender, Health, Youth, Planning etc.
- Other leaders of like-minded INGOs and forums in the country
- Donor and foreign missions
- Civil society organizations
- Youth and youth-led organizations
- Donors and foreign missions
- Generation Equality
- Gender Technical Working Group
- Youth and girl-led organizations
Level of contact with children
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
- Based in a typical office environment whilst in the Country Office.
- Where required, periodic travel to program units and occasional international travel.
Accountabilities and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Guide the strategic planning, design, and implementations of gender-transformative programmes in the organization – 30%
- Gender transformative programming: Lead in the integration and effective implementation of the gender transformative programme approach in alignment with Plan Kenya’s Country Strategy and Plan International’s Global purpose on ensuring that root causes are addressed effectively in the programming work;
- Develop and implement minimum standards, technical frameworks and strategies on gender-transformative programming and inclusion, and align these to Plan Kenya’s new five-year strategic plan and our Global ambition; (Reference the Management Standards amongst other relevant documents)
- Ensure that all PIK staff and implementing partners understand the importance of gender programming and inclusion approach and how it relates to them in their contexts and that they are fully involved in its implementation, and contribute to the ongoing research, development and implementation as well as dissemination and sharing of best practices and innovative approaches to maximize performance and sustain achievements in gender-transformative programming;
- Ensure successful design and implementation of gender-transformative programmes in Plan Kenya.
- Provide technical support to all Programme Units on gender transformation project management, while ensuring timely corporate online update of the Gender Marker as required.
- Ensure that agreed monitoring and evaluation activities of regional gender equality at all levels in the organization are high quality and are widely disseminated, including but not limited to the baseline survey, mid-term reviews, and final evaluations.
- Build close links with the Project Managers of the Young influencers and other global networks for girls to secure participation for Plan-led advocacy with girls.
- Contribute to the development of business products to mainstream gender and address root causes of gender inequality in Plan operating areas.
- Ensure that Plan’s Global Policy and Strategy on Gender Equality are effectively used to guide Plan’s work on gender equality across the country programme.
- Conduct a Gender Equality Self-Assessment on a regular basis (every three to five years) and develop Gender Action Plans based on the GESA results.
- Support advocacy with external policymakers and other stakeholders on key issues related to girls’ rights and gender equality in the Country Programme to build Plan’s profile as a thought-leader in this area.
- Work closely with the Advocacy and Influencing Advisor to proactively identify and utilize opportunities for high-impact advocacy and policy engagement on gender equality and girls’ rights.
- Contribute to the development of Plan’s communications and media work on relevant gender equality and Inclusion.
- Represent Plan’s positions on gender equality and Inclusion to key external audiences at the national, regional and global levels, as needed.
- Develop networks and relationships with key decision-makers and influencers for gender equality, Inclusion, and girls’ rights in the country.
- Build Plan’s profile as a respected thought-leader and high-level contributor on girls’ rights and gender equality issues.
Technical Support and Capacity Building on Gender Transformative Programming and Inclusion for Programme Quality (30%)
- Build the capacity of Plan’s program staff and partners in Plan to design, implement and monitor gender-transformative programs based on Plan’s programme and influencing commitments.
- Support field offices’ initiatives to build staff capacity around gender equality across programmes in all thematic areas.
- Manage Plan’s Gender Equality Capacity Building Program in the country programme, including monitoring of progress and performance, and working with senior management to ensure that program staff have the capacity (knowledge, skills and tools) to effectively support Plan’s gender equality programming priorities.
- Ensure that the programme and influencing commitments on Gender Equality are utilized by Plan staff in designing, implementing and monitoring gender-transformative projects.
- Together with the Learning and Knowledge Management Specialist, facilitate the development of a knowledge base for internal and external use by staff and partners.
- Provide technical support to Human Resource (HR) Manager on integrating gender equality into the performance management systems and organisational policies and practices across the Country Office.
- Responsible for leading on the conducting internal and partner GEISA assessments and working jointly with the partners and Technical Advisors to develop customized plans, that include a monitoring and evaluation plan for organizational improvement;
- Lead in the identification of programs and projects needs for technical assistance and plan for tailor-made technical support sessions including partners’ capacity to monitor and adapt to the changing operational environment;
- Collaborate with the technical team to conduct joint-field visits to link organizational
- development initiatives with the wider organisational goals for quality service delivery and impact;
- Monitor the organizational capacity levels and assess the extent to which the capacities change/fluctuate in the cause of program implementation and address the changes accordingly;
- Participate in technical review meetings and provide advice on institutional development;
- In liaison with the Technical Advisors, Grants Team and other core staff identify and optimize opportunities for improved gender transformative programming and inclusion and learning amongst different partners;
- Support the strengthening of the capacity of PIK staff in terms of gender transformative programming and inclusion in line with the Plan International global guidelines and other related policies;
- In collaboration with Monitoring Evaluation Research and Learning team, monitor and report on all relevant information regarding the gender transformative programming and inclusion made by PIK;
- In collaboration with Monitoring Evaluation Research and Learning team lead in knowledge management and learning on gender-transformative programming and inclusion;
- Provide technical support to partners for the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the quality and innovative programming, including grant-financed initiatives that strongly mainstream gender transformative programming and inclusion.
Resource mobilization and programme development (25%)
- Incorporate lessons from Plan Kenya’s technical experiences in gender transformative programming and inclusion into high quality thought leadership and innovative pieces, positioning PIK activities for industry engagement and participation in practitioner networks;
- Actively participate in resource mobilization efforts to deliver on gender-transformative programming and inclusion in innovative idea generation and business development processes as appropriate.
- Develop tactical and strategic relationships with key funding agencies and private sector, implementation and other partners, including advising the Country Office on appropriate fund-raising approaches;
- Provide strategic leadership for the identification, up-scaling, and resourcing of effective models and methods for strengthening gender transformative programming and mutual learning, including CSOs, community-based organizations, children and youth organizations, as well as informal civil society group and networks.
- In collaboration with the grants and BD staff provide technical support to partners in proposal development, reporting and overall donor compliance;
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) 5%
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Leads the orientation of programme staff to ensure that they are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding, PSHEA and GEI Put in full policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
- Ensures that Plan Kenya contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data
Risk Management & Financial Responsibility (5%)
- Monitor programme performance and budget utilization and guide on corrective measures where needed;
- Coordinate and support programme quality and delivery on gender-transformative programming initiatives and projects audits and adequate application of management response across all impact areas.
Other duties (5%) – Any other assignment within the scope of work.
- Courageous, taking a lead, challenging self and others to achieve the purpose, safeguard others, and role model values, inside and outside work. Responsible for my work and learning, striving to improve. Self-aware, resilient, and constructive in embracing change. Striving to achieve a significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. Challenging myself to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
- Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work and keeps keep knowledge and skills up to date.
- Collaborating with team members, colleagues and partners in finding creative solutions to problems by sharing information, experience and ideas and actively seeking their input.
- Respecting all people, appreciating differences and challenging inequality in programmes and the workplace. Supporting children, girls, and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. Empowering other staff to give their best and develop their potential.
- Achieves desired outcomes and finds innovative solutions by using the expertise and creativity of others and adopting a coaching approach with the people they manage or advise.
- Creates space for reflection and uses external evidence and internal evaluation to identify what and how we need to improve and then to support others through change.
- Understanding Plan International’s purpose, priorities, values, and approaches in our work context. Adhering to relevant policies, processes, practices, and standards, and being pro-active in continuing technical and professional development
Business Management competencies
- Manages legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety, and Security
- – Managing activities and resources including skills in strategic thinking, planning and organizing, financial planning and monitoring, negotiation and programme and project management
- – Managing people and information including skills in assessment and coaching, evidence-based management, communication skills, both speaking and writing and digital working, including personal digital skills
- -Managing resources and delivery: -Knows the resources required for their role. Manages their own workload, avoiding under or overcommitting to delivery activities; -Works according to a budget and uses the relevant financial systems.; -Works according to principles of data protection; -Understands how information is used for reporting and decisions making; – Seeks to continually improve personal working practices.
- -Programme and project management: -Aware of the programmes that Plan International delivers directly and through partner organizations. -Aware of the program and project management procedures relevant to their role.; -Complies with financial procedures and controls relevant to their role; -Seeks opportunities to reflect on and learn from all work.
- -Digital working: Identifies ways to use digital to improve the effectiveness of work activities. Understand how digital enablers can contribute to achieving Plan International’s purpose. Utilizes the digital tools available in line with privacy and safeguarding guidelines.
- -Evidence-based management: Understands the importance of high-quality data and the implications of poor data. Understands what data Plan International needs to inform decision-making. Interprets a range of sources to inform evidence-based decisions relevant to their role.
Technical expertise, skills, and knowledge
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- Minimum Bachelors and preferably a Masters in gender studies, social sciences, or related courses;
- A minimum experience of 7 years in implementing program management or community development work and mainly in implementing Gender transformative work especially while working with girls and youth;
- In-depth knowledge of the links between gender equality, children’s rights and NGO development and humanitarian programming practice;
- Demonstrated understanding of gender rights issues in both development and humanitarian contexts;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in conducting gender analysis and its application to child-rights programming;
- Experience designing, implementing, and evaluating high-quality programmes with demonstrated impact on improving gender equality or girls’ empowerment;
- Excellent understanding of relevant policy-making processes and institutions on gender equality;
- Commitment to Plan Kenya’s position on promoting girls’ rights and gender equality and integrating all these aspects in their day to day work;
- Knowledge of the regional context would be desirable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate complex concepts around gender equality and empowerment clearly and concisely and apply them in practical situations;
- Demonstrated facilitation and training experience;
- Demonstrated experience coaching and mentoring field-based program staff using a variety of methodologies (workshop-based training, appreciative inquiry, etc.) on integrating gender-sensitive approaches and considerations into day to day fieldwork;
- Strong project management and leadership skills;
- Ability to build internal and external networks across countries;
- Able to collaboratively develop guidelines and standards;
- Proactive self-starter able to work to deadlines;
- Promotes innovation and learning;
- Inspires trust and support from others;
- Provides vision and direction;
- Result oriented, good interpersonal and communication skills including influencing and negotiation;
- Culturally sensitive;
- Flexible, adaptive while maintaining strategic and longer-term focus;
- Demonstrably committed to Plan’s goals and values, in particular with regard to equity and justice;
- Commitment to Plan values and willingness to abide by Child and Young people Safeguarding Policy and hold others accountable;
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.