About the project
The Women Voice Leadership project uses feminist organizational development and movement building approaches and aims to be a support facility to the existing women’s rights movement in Kenya. As such, CARE acts as a convener and facilitator, providing space and technical assistance to Women's Rights Organizations to grow their own strategies, resources and programming. By the end of the project, it is expected that selected WROs are stronger, more sustainable and provide a better quality of programming to their constituents. The three goals of the project are:
- To strengthen women’s rights organizations’ (WRO) internal governance, management and fundraising capacities;
- To strengthen WRO technical programming skills in areas such as women’s rights, gender based violence, sexual and reproductive health and rights and women’s economic empowerment; and
- To strengthen networks and coalitions within the Kenyan women’s movement.
The purpose of the Women's Voices & Leadership Gender Officer position of CARE in Kenya is to ensure the WVL program achieves on the Gender Equality outcome results and is of high quality, mainstreams feminist approaches, and documents and utilizes learning and knowledge from within and outside of CARE Kenya to develop/design and improve programs to achieve high impact. The holder of the position will provide technical and coordination support and 2 guidance on gender transformative and feminist approaches to gender equality results and ensure initiatives are informed by gender analysis, gender strategy and informed by desired gender equality result changes that seek to empower and increase voices of women’s rights organizations and their constituents
Tasks and responsibilities.
R 1: Supporting development and implementation of WVL project Gender Equality outcome results (40%) Tasks
- Coordinate and take a leading role in the development and implementation of the Project Gender Strategy using collaborative methods to work with WROs.
- Coordinate all Gender result activities for CARE Kenya under the WVL Project to ensure the project achieves its gender outcomes.
- Oversee the development, update and implementation of the gender analysis and strategy to deliver on the Gender Equality results including support to the Principal partners WROs specific gender equality outcomes outlined in the Capacity Building plans.
- Ensure mainstreaming of feminist MEAL approaches in the MEAL system design and implementation with support from the WVL MEAL Coordinator and CARE Kenya Program Quality and Accountability Manager.
- Facilitate participatory processes with project’s Principal WRO partners for the development and implementation of the gender strategy.
- Support gender related tools development, testing, and management that will ensure timely and user-oriented gender related data collection and reporting.
- Promote and support the dissemination of gender related Program information among the Program team.
- Represent CARE Kenya and the WVL Project in various gender meetings, networks and opportunities to support the project.
- LiaIse with the gender advisors in CARE Canada, South Sudan and Cote d’Ivoire to share models, tools and best practices for the project.
R2: Reporting, Documentation, Knowledge management and Learning support (25%)
- Coordinate and guide partners in their gender equality results reporting and documentation responsibilities. Ensure that the reporting meets the evidence and communications needs of WRO partners.
- Review project gender equality outcome results achievements against indicator targets with a view to strengthening reporting, planning, implementation as well as decision making.
- Keep up to date project gender related data and reports for reference by the program team as well as other stakeholders.
- Provide gender outcomes data for internal and donor reports as well as internal documentation and reporting systems (e.g. CARE International PIIRS).
- Take lead in documentation of lessons learnt and best practices as well as dissemination on the same.
- Provide technical support in filling in the Gender marker accurately during reporting and designing new projects for layering on the existing ones.
R3: Capacity building of staff and partners and technical Support on Gender Equality Results outcomes (35%) Tasks
- Facilitate the active participation of Principal WRO partners in the design and implementation of the WVL gender analysis and gender strategy.
- Together with Principal partner WROs, design and implement a gender outcome capacity strengthening strategy based on a participatory capacity assessment and capacity strengthening and building plans.
- Guide and support the Principal partner WROs technical staff, in the implementation of the Gender strategy and any other agreed gender equality results in line with the WVL Program proposal/Design.
- Coordinate Principal WRO partners staff and provide updates to CARE staff on progress made on WVL project in regard to the gender results outcomes and contribution to WRO strategic goals as well as CARE CO Strategy and CI 2020 Program Strategy.
- Provide input in the design of new layering initiatives to ensure the gender needs of impact groups are addressed in accordance with WVL Program and CARE Kenya’s Programme approach.
- Support in conducting gender equality targeted evaluations, including design, support in data collection, management and analysis working closely with the MEAL Coordinator.
- Contribute to the development of the WVL project annual operating plan, ensuring alignment of the gender equality results with program approach and achievement of annual target indicators.
Qualifications and experience required
- Degree in Social Sciences, Gender and development studies or other relevant discipline coupled.
- At least 5 years’ experience in coordinating position in gender equality outcome results delivery and program quality in development programs in at least two of the following areas: gender equality, women’s rights, organizational strengthening, or feminist movement building.
- Excellent written, verbal English and presentation/communication skills.
- Demonstrable ability to develop and implement gender transformative results outcomes, systems and plans, and applied knowledge and understanding of feminist approaches and principles.
- Experience in using collaborative, consensus based and approaches to build partner skills and knowledge, provide training and foster effective and participatory decision making amongst partners meet evolving Project gender equality results outcomes.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple gender programs/projects in both the public and NGO sectors.
- Experience with and understanding of relevant donor frameworks and reporting systems.
- Experience in writing Funding opportunities Concepts and Proposals
- Strong gender related technical skills, including ability to understand the different and complex dynamic affecting / supporting adequate delivery on the gender equality results.
- In depth understanding of underlying causes of poverty, vulnerability and gender inequality in Kenya with good knowledge of the political, economic, social and technological environment is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Kenya’s women’s Rights movement.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The position is based in Nairobi
CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS (internal & external):
- The Gender Officer reports directly to Women's Voices & Leadership Program Manager
- Apart from the direct report, the Gender Officer will work closely with the WVL Project MEAL Coordinator and WVL Project Grants Coordinator & Principal partner Women’s Right Organizations’ staff.