Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
In 2009, the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP), an African-led, regional non-profit policy think tank, was established to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in the areas of population change and sustainable development, and health systems strengthening in Africa. The purpose of AFIDEP’s work is to contribute to s...
About The Project
AFIDEP, together with other partners, is implementing a five-year global project called Building Capacity for Integrated Family planning and Reproductive Health (FP/RH) and Population, Environment and Development (PED) Action (BUILD) funded by the U.S. Agency for international Development (USAID) through the Office of Population and Reproductive Health (PRH) in Washington D.C. The other consortium partners are Leadership for Environment and Development Southern and Eastern Africa (LEAD SEA); PATH Foundation Philippines Inc. (PFPI); FHI 360; and Pan-African Climate Justice Alliance (PACJA).
BUILD is designed to leverage the interconnectedness of Population, Environment and Development (PED), to spur strong political commitment, sustained financial resources, and accountability for voluntary family planning (FP) and reproductive health (RH) in low-and middle-income countries (LMICs). BUILD seeks to amplify the PED approach for transformative action across disciplinary, geographical, sociocultural and sectoral divides encompassing population dynamics, health, environment, climate change, resilience, livelihoods, food security, education, and governance.
The project is being implemented from 4 regional hubs in Eastern Africa (Kenya), Southern Africa (Malawi), Western Africa (Cote d’Ivoire) and Asia Pacific (Philippines).
About The Position
Our organization is seeking a dynamic and experienced Grants Manager with international experience in cross-sectoral development policy, research, advocacy and programming to manage the BUILD project. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and supporting the day-to-day administration of the project’s grants pool and ensuring compliance with USAID regulations and best practices.
The position will be based at AFIDEP’s Nairobi office.
Grants Design and Solicitation
- Work closely with project leadership and technical staff in the activity design process including, but not limited to, supporting the development of Notification of Funding Opportunities (NOFO), facilitating the process of evaluation of grant applications to ensure adherence to grants management policies, and advising on appropriate grant mechanisms and creative, and compliant, uses of grants. Work with partners to develop grant budget estimates and review for allowability, allocability, reasonableness, and consistency, as well as compliance with applicable USAID regulations and AFIDEP’s policies.
- Assess administrative and financial capacity of grant applicants.
- Incorporate learnings, best practices and innovative approaches into grant design so as to build on previously tested uses of grants.
- Ensure proper negotiation of the terms and conditions for grant agreements, ensure the proper type of grant selected, review and select the correct standard and as applicable provisions, work with grantee and technical team to finalize grant agreement for approval, and draft approval documents necessary to requests approvals from USAID.
- Generate and review all aspects of grant agreements at kick off meetings, and during implementation, with grantees, including schedule and facilitate meetings to define roles, responsibilities, and timelines for grantees.
- Work as a problem solver with the technical team to learn, adapt and improve throughout the grant design and solicitation process.
- Identify with the Finance Manager and technical teams appropriate special award conditions and/or necessary capacity building for the grantee to strengthen the results, minimize risk, and ensure compliance.
Grant Activity Management
- Work with grantees, AFIDEP Finance Team and broader BUILD Team to ensure that activities are implemented in accordance with activity design and terms and conditions of the grant. Provide guidance in the implementation of the grants activities, including closure and disposition plans.
- With direction from the Project Director, serve as the focal point for a portfolio of grantees. Share information with grantees ensuring cohesion and supporting collaborative engagement. Attend meetings and events hosted by partners. Provide updates to and collaborate with BUILD staff on grant monitoring.
- Monitor submission of grant deliverables and reports. Coordinate with other members of the team for review and approval. Monitor and track procurement activities for in-kind grants and delivery status of goods/services.
- Develop and build the capacity of local organizations and grantees to ensure successful implementation and compliance with the grant agreement, as well as to support their sustainable development as an organization.
- Ensure complete backup documentation for payments to grantees is submitted to project’s finance team.
- Troubleshoot grants management challenges with grantees, technical staff, Finance Team, Project Director and USAID as requested/as needed.
- Track any leverage, contribution, or program income as required in the grant agreement and ensure compliance with audit requirements for grantees, as appropriate.
- Ensure timely and well documented close-out of grants, ensuring completeness and quality of grant files.
Compliance and Reporting
- Ensure compliance with approved AFIDEP and USAID regulations, policies and procedures, systems, internal controls, and applicable local laws and tax policy.
- Ensure that all grant activities are properly documented from the start of implementation to grant close-down using AFIDEP operations and grant management systems etc.
- Document and share learnings with the project team to ensure best practices and improvements are incorporated into future grant programming.
- Perform regular spot audits of grant files to ensure completeness, accuracy, and compliance.
- Support the delivery procedures and policy training, guidance, and interpretation for program staff as well as grantees, in consultation with the Project Director as appropriate.
- Support and use grant budget/funds monitoring tools.
- Submit progress and status reports as required.
- Track overall grant fund amounts in total, by buy-in, and by grant, including both awarded and obligated amounts.
- Work with the Project Director and MERL team to ensure the grants and their impact is aggregated, validated and disseminated.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business discipline e.g. Finance, Accounting or related field. Masters Degree in a similar field, MBA, ACCA or CPA (K).
- 8+ years of experience working in international development and grants management, with experience in USAID grants management preferred.
- Experience in the administration of large, complex USAID-funded grants under contracts, and contracts is required.
- Proven expertise in process management and creative problem-solving.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of USAID rules and regulations and ability to flexibly and creatively apply these rules and regulations for tailored fit-for-purpose procurement processes and contracts or agreements.
- Ability to identify time sensitive demands & inquiries and respond effectively.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer relations (both internally & externally); provides sound business judgment and contractual oversight.
- Strong client and stakeholder management skills across all levels
- Excellent organizational skills with a willingness to take initiative and be proactive in the procurement process.
- Excellent communications, facilitation, and negotiation skills.
- Excellent writing, speaking, and reading skills in English. Proficiency in French is an added advantage.
- Ability to work in a fast-moving, fluid team setting with multiple stakeholders.
To apply for this position, please submit a detailed CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org including the position title “BUILD Project – Grants Manager” on the subject of the email by 15th December 2023. In your cover letter, please highlight your relevant experience and qualifications, and explain why you are interested in this position. Your CV should include three relevant referees. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.