The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world's environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
Job Opening number: 20-PGM-UNEP-139062-R-NAIROBI (X)
Staffing Exercise ID: N/A
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
The Programme Performance Support Unit leads UNEP’s work on programme monitoring, corporate performance reporting, monitoring, and reporting on implementation of UNEA resolutions and strengthening capacity for related evidence-based data management and reporting. Under the overall guidance of the Senior Programme Officer for Monitoring in Policy and Programme Division, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinates the monitoring and reporting process of the portfolio of UNEP initiatives, including providing a quality assurance of data reported, identifying issues requiring attention in the design and implementation of the portfolio, and proposing actions to improve internal business processes and delivery of results. Coordinates teams across the organization to ensure UNEP’s data reported meets the needs of different audiences and lead the preparation of programme performance reports for senior management and Governing Bodies.
- Contribute to the design and use of better business intelligence systems, processes and tools that UNEP requires to assist teams across the organization to access and utilize the data and information they need to effectively and adaptively manage their programmes and projects.
- Coordinates the teams in UNEP to strengthen staff capacities on how project implementation and supervision of their respective programmes/projects can improve impact. Lead teams to improve the design of initiatives, enabling better selection and eventual use of progress and performance data for adaptive management and ultimately better impact.
- Promotes the awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility for programme monitoring and reporting among all staff members through communication, training, learning and development activities.
- Strengthens UNEP transparency action through the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) engagement and the development and improvement of the UNEP Open Data Portal.
- Contributes to strategic planning exercises for the development of Programmes of Work and the Medium-Term Strategies, as well as strategic framework documents for the UN Secretariat in New York.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks relating to organizational performance in terms of achieving measurable results. Ability to communicate clearly links between the organization’s strategy to achieving results and its programme performance monitoring processes. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in understanding the progress and challenges of a complex environmental management portfolio. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate
- amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions, as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in development or environment studies or related social science field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) addtional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in project management in environment or development-oriented work, working across the programme/project management cycle is required
- Experience in data analysis and synthesis is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of any other United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: "Fluency" equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write,speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.