Reporting To: Programme Manager
Staff Reporting: Project Officer, Marketing Officer, Project Assistant, MEAL assistant, Procurement Assistant, Finance Assistant.
Base Location: Garissa County 90% - 10% Nairobi
The Project Coordinator is responsible for representing IRKs interests in at the Field/County with local authorities, donors, beneficiary communities and other key stakeholders. He/She is responsible for leading and managing IRK operational team at the county level office. As the most senior representative for IRK at the county office, he will be responsible for representation to the local authorities (County Government) and to donors, and for coordination with other NGOs and UN agencies. He/She will also be responsible for coordinating the implementation of all IRK projects/programmes within the location and ensuring adherence to quality and accountability commitments.
- Programme Strategy and Planning (10%)
- Support in shaping the overall strategy for the programme as articulated in the country business plan and strategic plan.
- Ensure IRK’s mission, values, and the programme objectives are communicated amongst project staff and facilitate input from project staff in the strategic planning process.
- Assist the Programme Manager in defining required team composition and organizational structure for the project team in accordance with the IRK staff grading structure and funding.
- Promote understanding of and ensure the appropriate use and adherence to global and National Standards relating to Livelihood programming
- Provide leadership in undertaking of needs assessment in line with priorities of the programme and community needs.
- Programme Development & Implementation (40%)**
- Provide technical insight on best practices and approaches to the programme delivery
- Active contribution in concept note and proposal development for the programme growth.
- Provide leadership in identification of potential funding sources/donors and plan for engagement meetings at County level
- Support in resource mobilization/ funding diversification that supports the field office programmes
- Initiate innovative sustainable projects around emerging thematic issues in line with the funding trends and donor interest
- Facilitate monitoring of the project with project staff, to review project progress, review beneficiary feedback, identify corrective actions required, and capture learning
- Has overall financial oversight and monitors the Project budgets in consultation with the Project Managers/officer and finance staff at the Field Office
- Promote and encourage an openness to welcoming feedback from beneficiaries and communities, and learning from staff
- Provide leadership in the development and submission of (internal) monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, and annual programme reports to MEAL Unit for review and sharing with the donor
- Ensure project staff always uphold the Do No Harm approach to programming and comply with IRK policies and guidelines
- Attend relevant coordination meetings and build strong productive relationships with key project stakeholders
- Provide regular technical support/backstopping/supervision during programme/projects delivery processes
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times
- Support programme/project reviews - drawing key recommendations, lessons learnt, best practices, technical advances etc.
- Ensure timely development and submission of quality donor reports
- Monitor and assess implementation progress, identify barriers and constraints, and work collaboratively with teams to devise solutions.
- Programme Compliance and Safety (20%)
- Responsible for security management for the project team in Garissa county including writing and updating the location-specific Security Plan with support from country focal person, ensuring staff are fully briefed and trained on the agreed security measures appropriate to the area, staff understand individual and collective responsibilities for safety and security policies and ensuring incidents are reported, critical learning is recorded and corrective actions taken.
- Report all security issues to the country security coordinator.
- Responsible for health and safety for the project team in the designated area, ensuring policy/ guidelines is understood by staff, and any accidents/incidents are recorded appropriately.
- Responsible for the induction of project staff posted to the area, with the support of the HR office, ensuring their familiarity with IR mission, values, Quality Standards, policies and Programme objectives and their individual responsibilities in upholding these standards and policies.
- In conjunction with the HR Coordinator and HR staff, ensure HR policies and procedures are understood by the project team and implemented.
- In conjunction with the Finance Manager and finance staff, ensure financial management is in accordance with IRK financial policies and guidelines.
- In conjunction with the Logistics coordinator and logistics staff, ensure logistics systems (procurement, transport, storage, communications, buildings management, asset management etc.) are in accordance with IRK Procurement/ logistics systems and policies.
- Ensure project completion, filing and archiving procedures are implemented.
- Capacity Building & Team Management (10 %)**
- Oversee the administrative functions for the Programme/project team, line managing administrative staff in the area of operation
- Ensure staff performance management system is effectively implemented across the Programme teams, with objective setting, probationary reviews, regular catch ups, 6-month performance & Annual appraisals and exit interviews, carried out for all staff.
- Support the implementation of IRK’s staff development policy, including personal development planning, across the project teams in a way that is consistent and transparent.
- Conduct disciplinary and grievance procedures, as required, in conjunction with the programme manager and HR Coordinator.
- Hold regular team meeting through a consultative, transparent, honest, and supportive communication structure to develop and build a vibrant team
- Networking and Partnership Development (20%)
- Active participation and engagement with donors (institutional, UN & IPs) meeting, briefing session, Funding Information Sessions.
- Establish and sustain effective relationship with the Government (National & Counties) and other NGOs for coordination, compliance with regulations & policies and synergy building.
- Represent IRK at all relevant technical forums, Clusters, Workshops and Meetings and contribute to technical interactions and discussions on the same.
- Facilitate relationship building with IRK partner organizations and collaborative work in accordance with the IRK Programs.
- Fulfil any additional assignment as deem necessary by the organization and/or as assigned by Line manager
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required
- Advanced Degree in Agricultural Economics, Agriculture, Development Studies, Project Management, Community Development, or any other food security related fields
- Minimum of at least for five years’ experience in micro credit or working experience in irrigation farming sector preferably in the NGO in ASAL environment.
- Be able versed with the GAP, FACT and BASIS procedures
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
- Conceptual understanding of participatory approach and sustainable development
- Proven people management and communication skills leading a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrable experience in supervising managing coaching and training others
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements**:
- Must have a ‘hands on’, practical mentality, be self-driven and very motivated.
- Must be well organized.
- Able to take initiative and work independently.
- Remarkably high attention to detail.
- Must be flexible and willing to adapt to a fluid situation.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and good command of English.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Experience in working in complex and hardship areas context
- Knowledge of local language- Kiswahili & Somali an added advantage
- Willingness to travel to remote areas of Northern & North Eastern Kenya
Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications, experience, names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts. The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line. Send your application to Recruitment.email@example.com by Thursday 24th December 2020.
Please note that this is an urgent recruitment, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis