Job Reference: SA/ERC/03/2021
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position Senior Advisor – Enterprise Risk and Compliance.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, theSenior Advisor – Enterprise Risk & Compliance is responsible for providing advice to AGRA divisions on best corporate risk governance and compliance practices, compliance to USAID and other donors’ guidelines on issues related to procurement, contracting, sub-granting, financial disbursement and management. The Senior Advisor -Enterprise and Risk will also track reporting guidelines and advise on related donor awards rules and regulations. S/he will serve as an advisor to the COO, Country Managers, and other key AGRA staff in headquarters and country offices on issues related to best corporate risk governance, procurement, contracting and financial disbursements and management, with an emphasis on flow-down provisions to AGRA grantees in both the private and public non-profit sectors under the award.
Additionally, S/he will also generate necessary reports and ensure that document provision and retention are in accord with USAID and other PIATA partner requirements as well as review and track annual work plans and other reports for their correspondence with and in accordance to USAID and other PIATA partners’ rules and regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and review a consolidated register of risks across the institution. Update the Enterprise Risk management plan when necessary.
- Lead the design and delivery of the AGRA’s consolidated compliance framework. In addition, develop annual compliance plans and periodically revise the compliance plan As required.
- Ensuring that at the start of new awards, implementation teams have a donor contract management plan with clearly defined roles and responsibilities, understanding of compliance requirements.
- Lead the review of the donor partner’s awards to AGRA and undertake biannual information requests with AGRA’s program leads for each award to monitor adherence to compliance requirements.
- Upholding AGRA’s own policies and procedures for restricted funding, and compliance with relevant regulatory and statutory requirements.
- Ensuring that at the conclusion of every award, AGRA teams have a clear understanding of the terms and conditions for contract close out including submission of final reports, award-specific audits, appropriate record storage, systems specifications, and asset disposal.
- Recommend appropriate policies changes to ensure the AGRA’s ongoing compliance with relevant legal and regulatory requirements; donor compliance and best practice for the sector.
- Frequently provide suggestions to AGRA systems, controls and conduct of business; to align to the relevant donor policies and standards.
- Support new business development / resource mobilization efforts in generation of new proposals, budgets and identifying matters of risk for management attention.
- Support Finance unit processes associated financial fiduciary reports and institution audits.
- Review and implement applicable Enterprise Risk and Compliance training programs to ensure the strengthening of a risk and compliance aware culture in AGRA.
- Provide training, capacity support, documents review and technical assistance to staff at head office and country offices to ensure operationalization of donor compliance, donor awards/ contract management, efficient donor reporting, risk management and restricted funding considerations as applicable.
- Serve as the point of contact for donor awards and maintain the compliance documents repository.
- Providing a help desk function to provide expert advice in areas such as donor compliant budgeting, financial management when using development funds, different donor procurement of goods and services considerations, partner sub-granting, anti-terror finance, and other areas of donor compliance depending on the nature and source of restricted funding.
- Co-Implement together with other divisions and units on areas of concern in relation to compliance and risk management matters.
- Advocate for AGRA’s compliance to the rules and regulations and contractual mechanisms.
- Influence compliance to the statutory obligations, corporate policies, procedures and systems. Builds risk awareness through trainings and advise on compliance requirements within the organization.
- Build relationships with relevant stakeholders and coordinate the risk and compliance function.
- Advocate for compliance within the organization through continuously educating the key stakeholders at AGRA on key regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Advise on the mitigation of any compliance issues that may arise in the life of the Project.
- Lead in the development of waiver and approval requests for procurement of restricted commodities, international travel and other approvals.
- Advise the Chief Operating Officer on areas where momentum in grant progress can be accelerated.
- Engage with the contracting officers in USAID’s Office of Assistance Acquisitions and country missions as needed.
- Support good corporate governance through formulating and developing legal strategy and plans to ensure the policy guidelines are implemented and adhered to.
- Assess grant burn rates, the award and disbursement of grant funding in a timely manner with emphasis on responsibility determinations.
- Plan for the updating of the grants manual and management handbooks for procedural compliance as needed.
- Deliver on other support functions as deemed necessary by the Chief Operating Officer.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Business Administration, Accounting, Law or a related field and/or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience overseeing donor awards administration and including US Government Acquisition and Assistance awards, given its centrality as a lead resource partner in the PIATA Global Development Alliance.
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience of sub-awardees, including oversight of flow-down provision compliance, branding & marking compliance, and compliance with travel and other provisions, as well as oversight of exceptions to provisions.
- Experience in the application of best corporate risk governance and compliance practices within an international donor funded organization.
- In-depth, practiced knowledge of USAID rules and regulations.
- An understanding of risk and compliance in the context of development organizations operating in Africa.
- Experience of making risk-based decisions in a complex operating environment with multiple competing demands.
- Ability to work in a fast paced multi-cultural and fluid environment.
- Ability to take a broad view of organizational issues and objectives and to evaluate operational risks in the context of other risks.
- Strong quantitative analytical skills.
- Results-oriented, accountable, with proactive leadership skills.
- Ability to lead by example and drive change.
- Determined, hard-working, individual who is prepared to work around barriers that arise in the course of an initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and groups of people.
- Ability to move from program concept to on-the-ground reality.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you deserve this opportunity, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the internship reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by March 30th, 2021.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer