Duty station: Kakamega with regular travel to Kisumu
Sustainet Group Limited (SGL) is a consulting company established in Nairobi in 2012. SGL offers development consulting services to facilitate effective agricultural market-oriented and private sector-led development to clients including governments, international development organizations and agro-businesses. As part of our compliance and operational support services (COSS) business, we provide logistic, event management, HR, finance, legal and other management ‘outsourcing’ services to international development organizations and agro-businesses interested in implementing projects and programmes in the region. We also operate the Shiriki House Office Community to offer an effective and collaborative co-working environment for development companies, projects and NGOs sharing our desire to foster commercially viable, environmentally resilient and socially inclusive rural development. We are headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya and operate a Country Office in Kampala, Uganda.
GFA Consulting Group is an international consulting firm based in Germany with a partnership arrangement with Sustainet Group Limited (SGL) for the provision services for the project “Soil Protection and Rehabilitation (Prosoil)” in the counties of Bungoma, Kakamega and Siaya in Western Kenya for GIZ, in close cooperation with the County Governments and WRMA. The project aims to improve agricultural production and climate resilience and reduce land degradation through the promotion of conservation agriculture and soil conservation technologies with farmers in the project areas.
SGL is recruiting a County Project Coordinator for Kakamega County for a period up to end of July 2021, starting 1st June 2020 ). The successful candidate will coordinate the implementation of this project in Kakamega County and support the overall project.
- Implementation of soil conservation and rehabilitation measures in close coordination with local, state and private service providers (especially advisory services), local water user groups and other initiatives (group-based approaches);
- Support the county authorities in agriculture and natural resource governance in designing and implementing their soil conservation and rehabilitation goals in exchange with local authorities at local and regional levels;
- Planning, design and implementation of biophysical soil protection and soil restoration measures at farm level;
- Coordination of the local NGOs involved in the implementation;
- Quality assurance in the implementation by third parties in accordance with the agreement on the technology packages to be implemented (Conservation Agriculture, Integrated Soil Fertility and Pest Management, Agroforestry etc.);
- Mobilization and support of individual and group initiatives to implement soil protection measures (adult learning principles);
- Promotion of participative processes in the planning and implementation of soil protection measures in water catchment area management;
- Activity monitoring according to specified formats;
- Support digitization and youth employment initiatives as part of the country package
- Education: Degree (Higher National Diploma or Bachelor) in a relevant subject (e.g. agriculture, rural development, natural resources management);
- General professional experience: 5 years of professional experience in the agricultural / rural development sector, as well as in advising local (user communities etc.) and / or municipal structures (e.g. technical services);
- Specific professional experience: 2 years of professional experience in advising agricultural authorities and working with the agricultural advisory service;
- Development cooperation experience: 3 years of professional experience in international development cooperation;
- Other: In-depth knowledge in the areas of soil protection, plant cultivation, access to and use of production resources (e.g. integrated pest management, organic and inorganic fertilization), water catchment area management or similar;
- Expertise in the adaptation of biophysical soil protection measures as well as mulch and ground cover systems (e.g. conservation agriculture) to the respective agro-ecological production systems; Expertise in physical and biological measures to protect against erosion and soil fertility.
Team member soft skills
- In addition to their professional qualifications, the team members should also have the following qualifications:
- Strong ability to work in a multicultural team with various employer constellations;
- Strong communication skills. Knowledge and understanding of the local cultural and social and economic conditions and language in Kakamega County will be an advantage;
- Socio-cultural competence: specific working experience with farmers, local groups and county-, ward- and village level government institutions of Kakamega county will be an advantage.
- Experience managing rural development projects with local partners, Partner and customer oriented, efficient action;
- Interdisciplinary thinking.
- Depending on Covid-19 related easing of home work and transportation restrictions by the Government of Kenya
go to method of application »
INVITATION FOR INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANCY SERVICES
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR SETTING UP A SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
A Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in Kenya with a mandate to operate within the Eastern Africa region, whose vision is to empower the society through facilitating the creation and enhancement of sustainable enterprises. The Organization targets the marginalised Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP) women, youth and men for economic and social empowerment through a participatory approach aimed at each lifting themselves out of poverty and vulnerability.
The NGO enterprise model is based on a philosophy of self-help, providing training, skills and support to enable poor people, particularly women and youth to build and sustain independent, market-based, economic activities. This provides for a higher level of income for them and their families, which in turn contributes to improved livelihoods.
The model is based on an overtime tried 4-step business model below:
- Social mobilisation
- Business training
- Access to credit
- Market Access
The NGO Seeks to set up a social enterprise to contribute to the alleviation of Poverty by facilitating the growth of start-ups from micro to Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). The main purpose is for them to be profitable and Sustainable to create productive employment opportunities in Kenya.
The overall Goal of the Social Enterprise therefore will be to Catalyze community and individual BoPs enterprises into profitable and sustainable SMEs creating jobs in Kenya, thus the Social Enterprise seeks to achieve the following specific Objectives:
- Growing start-ups from Micro to SMEs
- Accelerating SMEs to more profitability and Sustainability to increase their income and create more employment opportunities
Sustainet Group Limited is therefore seeking a highly qualified individual to assist in the process of Setting up a social Enterprise.
The Overall Objective of the Consultancy
The overall objective of the Assignment is to lead into identification, co-design and Develop social enterprise business plan and commencement processes.
The Scope of Work
The consultant will work closely with the NGO using a human centered design to set up a Social Enterprise through the following tasks:
- Understand and conceptualize the current NGO business Model
- Conduct a needs assessment in consultation with the key stakeholders to identify/fine-tune the enterprise development need.
- Facilitate brainstorming, ideation and design thinking sessions and process.
- Facilitate cross-learning by referencing five companies/organization that NGO can learn from.
- Spearhead the formulation of a business case and the business model for the social enterprise
- Develop the Social Enterprise business plan
- Sign-post NGO on the most viable entity to host the Social Enterprise
- Inception report that underscores the ToR.
- Needs assessment report,
- A robust business plan with a financial and business model that is sustainable
- The consultant should have a background in Social Enterprise building and facilitation.
- Understanding and experience in Social enterprise development that may include but not limited to aspects like blended business Models of; profit-purpose alignment, profit-purpose tension and profit–purpose neutral social enterprise models
- The consultant should have; a Master’s degree in social sciences, business related field, environmental resource management, supply chain/value chain management /climate change or any other relevant discipline.
- At least 5-10 years of prior work experience in the field of market development.
- Be able to demonstrate proof of experience in carrying out similar assignments elsewhere.
- Excellent writing, editing, formatting and oral communication skills in English.