REPORTING TO Principal Investigator – Functional reporting, Programme Director – Administrative reporting (HIV, PROGRAM HIV, TB and Malaria )
Sustainable Laboratory Quality Systems for HIV/TB Epidemic
PHYSICAL LOCATION Amref Kenya Country Office
Implementation of Sustainable Laboratory Quality Systems (SLQS) in the Republic of Kenya under the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) will provide technical assistance (TA) to the Kenya Ministry of Health (MOH) Division of National Public Health Laboratories (NPHL), National VL/EID referral laboratories and other relevant National Health departments to Provide quality laboratory network systems that support timely, efficient and reliable services along the clinical cascade for HIV/TB patients. Sustainable Laboratory Quality Systems programme will coordinate and support activities at the National level, cascade to the counties and site level will be done by lead clinical implementing partners. The objective is for HIV/TBrelated diagnostics to achieve the UNAIDS 95-95-95 goals and epidemic control.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
The Project Director will provide strategic, managerial, technical leadership and management oversight to the project in line with Amref Health Africa policies and in compliance with USG and CDC rules and regulations. The Project Director will serve as the principal liaison to the relevant agencies and CDC. The job holder will ensure timely and efficient achievement of the projects objectives by coordinating partner activities, planning, stakeholder meetings, budgeting and program implementation. The project Director will be responsible for ensuring compliance and monitoring quality of program implementation
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to achieve programmatic and financial sustained outcome and targets
- Develop and maintain strong working relationship with CDC, KNBTS, NASCOP, NHRL, Counties and other stakeholders Participate in national laboratory Committee of Experts (CoE) meetings providing thought leadership on sustainable approaches for implementing laboratory services.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure performance results are met or exceeded in an efficient and effective manner;
- Collaborate with and build strategic partnerships with a diverse set of stakeholders;
- Develop and implement innovative and sustainable approaches to strengthen health programs
- Ensure compliance of project implementation to the terms of the award
- Represent Amref and Project’s progress, achievements and lessons learnt to CDC, MoH, Counties, and other key stakeholders in meetings, conferences and relevant for fora.
- Collaborate with clinical implementing partners to strengthen clinical laboratory interface at national and county levels
- Guide the analysis, synthesis and reporting of outputs and results in collaboration with the M&E team
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track budget
- Write and /or review project outcomes and publication
- Develop laboratory proposals for funding
- Build laboratory capacity in Amref for sustainability
- Closely monitor project progress towards achieving the set targets
- Manage project and team, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities; monitor project deliverables and activities; ensure deliverables are accurately completed within deadlines;
Education & Knowledge
PhD in Medical Laboratory Science, Public Health or related field.
- 7 years’ experience in project management, planning, monitoring and evaluation preferably in health programs, at least 5 years of managing laboratory programs at national levels;
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills to effectively implement complex and politically sensitive international health projects;
- Demonstrated expertise in HIV/AIDS prevention (particularly support testing for surveillance, prevention, treatment and care of HIV, TB, and related opportunistic diseases);
- Demonstrated success managing and leading technical and administrative teams for USG funded programs – CDC experience strongly desired;
- Experience in client relationship management, developing program work plans, developing program budgets, managing program implementation, and managing and supervising staff;
- Proven ability to work with senior government and donor officials;
- Demonstrated experience collaborating and implementing programs with private and nonpublic sectors;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage diverse teams and ensure high performance;
- Ability to develop and manage relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including government officials
Skills and Competences
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multicultural team.
- Able to work under pressure and on multiple tasks.
- Dynamic, self- motivated and able to demonstrate initiative
- Portrays knowledge in basic principles of human resource management
- Strong team
- Excellent networking skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity Strategic
- Conflict management skills
Deadline for submission: - 12th December 2020.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.
go to method of application »
REPORTING TO Programme Director
GRADE/JOB GROUP C3
The Communications and Advocacy Advisor, will be responsible for planning, execution and oversight of all CHReaD consortium related communication needs with a specific focus on R&D knowledge management, information sharing and documentation to inform advocacy efforts, policy and practice.
- Build strong relationships with media so that CHReaD efforts receive the best coverage for advancing their goals
- Elevating the voice and expertise of influencers and champions by polishing opinion pieces at key moments, prepping them for interviews, and providing ongoing guidance and support.
- Leveraging trends in media coverage, key announcements, new evidence and high-level conversations to further work of CHReaD and Heath R&D in general
- Identifying strategic moments and opportunities, and new champions to influence target stakeholders and amplify CHReaD goals and objectives
- Getting coalition members on the same page through careful coordination, relationship management and message alignment
- Getting partners, influencers and decision-makers in the same place by overseeing high-level events, including identifying invitees and speakers, and developing agendas or presentations
- Building new coalitions of support for an issue with dedicated outreach, organization and relationship management
- Following and tracking trends in health R&D policies and funding opportunities to continuously innovate on CHReaD strategy and approaches
- Working with key experts, take the lead in media engagement activities and training to raise the profile of CHReaD as well as showcase BMGF support towards strengthening health research and development in Kenya
- Take the lead in sourcing, drafting and disseminating timely and regular content for various Amref and CHReaD communication platforms which include: the CHReaD and Amref websites, social media platforms, newsletters, annual reports and other information, education and communication materials
Academic and Professional Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in communications studies or Social Sciences required and Master’s degree in a related field
- At least 6 years of experience
- Experience managing partnerships to achieve ambitious results
- Communications, public relations or journalism experience
- Public health, global development or campaign experience
- Experience interpreting scientific literature and data for a lay audience
- Strong analytical, writing and verbal skills for communicating with a broad and diverse audience.
- Understanding of the health research and development process, including clinical trials and regulatory path.
- Experience working with media to develop in-depth stories on complex health topics
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-partner environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organisation
- Ability to plan, manage and work in high-pressure situations under tight deadlines
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Strong organisation skills and attention to detail