Reporting to : Finance and Support Services Director
Grade Level : 17
Purpose of Position
To support the Finance Director in designing, developing and assessing organizational financial management strategies & systems that support grants acquisition and management of the grant program finances. The position supports the Finance Director in proposal development, budget formulation for all grant projects, financial reporting to donors for grants, ensuring compliance with donor regulations and ensuring the implementation of financial policies and procedures for effective resource acquisition, utilization and safeguarding of WVK assets.
The incumbent will ensure that grant programs meet community and donor financial accountability in line with World Vision’s policies and standards. The position will be responsible for managing ongoing relationships with the support offices, donors and other stakeholders for ministry effectiveness.
Grants Financial monitoring and reporting, 20%
- Ensure timely and accurate grants financial reports submission to donors and other stakeholders
- Ensure the analysis of grant expenditure for management action to help in monitoring the burn rate for grants and special projects.
- Provide leadership to the grants management team and field based grants accountants to ensure monitoring visits to projects are done frequently
- Ensure that all grants financial reports are prepared, communicated and reviewed with donors according to the agreed donor requirements.
- Ensure proper monitoring of grants by actively participating in monthly grants meeting with Operations Team
- Provide monthly updates to the Leadership team on grants highlighting high risk grants and actions taken to mitigate the risks
- Ensure the grants monitoring system is operational and information shared regularly
- Coordinate grant closeout procedures and ensure that phased out grants are in compliant with phase out guidelines
- Advise on grant supplier requirements and work with the procurement department to ensure compliance with the grants procurement guidelines.
Sub-recipient Management 20%
- Develop mechanisms to ensure all potential sub recipients are screened according to the donor requirements
- Coordinate the capacity assessment process for all potential sub-recipients
- Develop and coordinate the delivery of capacity building initiatives for identified sub-recipients as required
- Plan for and ensure that quarterly visits to Sub-recipients are done for compliance with donor regulations. Work with the Sub recipients to implement recommendations to address any areas that require strengthening
- Ensure that all financial reports from Sub-recipients are reviewed on a quarterly basis for compliance and accuracy
- Ensure that the accurate records and files are maintained for each Sub-recipient at all times
Leadership and Staff Management, 15%
- Ensure strong and positive leadership is provided to field finance/grants team and competent staff are hired
- Coordinate professional and personal development grants staff through adequate orientation, on the job coaching, identification of training needs and opportunities
- Ensure effective performance management as per WVI guidelines and standards
- Ensure staff capacity is developed to enhance efficiency in execution of duties
- Create an environment that enhances team development
- Ensure positive supervisory skills are developed
- Grant Financial risk management 10%
- Ensure all grant projects are audited according to the donor requirements.
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from audits and various donor accountability mechanisms are acted upon in a timely and effective manner in consultation with Operations Team.
- Ensure the grant operate within WV internal control systems to mitigate risks and ensure accountability that will result in good audit ratings
- Together with project grants managers and accountants support the FD in ensuring that all payroll grant charges are accurately captured through the LDR system.
- Work with the donors to develop Terms of reference for special purpose grant audits.
Ensure the grants budgets and financial plans meet donor requirements, 10%
- Advise management on and monitor grants budgets, funding requirements, expenditures and support the management in execution of the same
- Provide technical support in proposal budgets development to GAM and Operations teams
- Ensure myPBAS is updated and outstanding commitments followed up with the SOs
- Ensure grants budgets and expenditures are monitored and provide regular updates to operations leadership and Senior Leadership Team and ensure corrective actions are taken as necessary together with Operations
Capacity building and Strategic partnerships, 10%
- Ensure that professional and personal development of grants finance is done through on the-job coaching, identification of learning and training needs and opportunities
- Ensure that continuous capacity building on donor risk management and financial risk management for grants is done across the organization
- Communicate to WVK staff on partnership directions on grants management
- Conduct grant financial risk assessment and support the Finance Director in ensuring the implementation of the core risk mitigation measures identified.
- Coordinate the grant start up workshops in liaison with operations
- Coordinate major donor regulations training workshops
Networking and Coordination, 10%
- Maintain effective communications and pro-active relationships with Support Office partners and donors.
- In coordination with the Finance Director work closely with regional and ADP staff in the implementation of Partnership initiatives and enhance knowledge sharing within the department.
- In the spirit of twin citizenship, contribute to knowledge sharing and collaborative learning through internal avenues such as the Grants technical communities of practice.
- Perform any other duties as requested by the supervisor
- Adhere to WVI key policy documents – mission, core values, and covenant of partnership.
- Attend daily devotions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Have a Master’s Degree in Finance/ Accounting/ Business Accounting
- Holder of a Finance Degree (Bachelors of Commerce in Finance/ Accounting/ Business Administration)
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in finance and accounting; with a good understanding of project management cycles in a complex, international development organization. 5 years should have been at a managerial level.
- Qualified Accountant (CPA (K)
- Proficiency in Computer applications (Excel, Sun systems, Word etc)
- Grants Management Knowledge
go to method of application »
Position location to be determined by home country of successful candidate within an African Country where WVI is registered to operate.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
VisionFund International is implementing a US$6.7m multi country grant funded digitalization project in 6 MFIs in the Africa Region. The project is focused on improving efficiency and effectiveness in the use of technology and standards focusing on Core Banking Systems, Mobile Money, Digital Field Applications, Data Warehouse and Hardware. Under general direction of Regional Head-Africa, the IT Change Manager will provide strategic oversight of all aspects of the Weberg Grant funded project over the entire project life cycle. The role will coordinate the activities of a multi-country project team to deliver efficiently and efficient technologies in line with grant requirements.
Program & Project Management:
- Drive and actively manage IT Change programs (IT implementation PLUS the business process changes that accompany it) with local business and IT management in VisionFund MicroFinance Institutions (MFIs).
- Mentor and coach MFI project managers on the ground through their IT Change programs.
- Guide local MFI business managers through necessary process changes due to IT implementation.
- Define and demand IT Change program reporting standards for MFIs.
- Provide regular IT Change Program reports to [Donor Management team name] in the format requested.
- Escalate in a timely way, any project delays or risks for swift resolution/mitigation
- Develop MFI Project Reporting Templates.
- Make consolidate reports on project Implementations for Region.
- Act as contact person for the donor, Vision Fund and key stakeholders and respond to queries as needed.
- Consultation with Subject Matter Experts:
- Consult with experts in VFI Digitisation and Operational Change team on best-practice implementation of relevant systems and technologies.
Monitoring Project Budgets:
- Ensure that accurate Budget Monitoring Reports are produce for each project.
- Coordinate with all stake holders to ensure all budget information are captured in time.
- Make consolidated report on budget spending for region.
- Alert region and DOC team in case of delay over or under spending.
- Ensure that project spending will not be made without proper approvals of all stake holders.
Managing Project Procurements:
- Participate in procurement process of services and goods needed for project implementation.
- Participate in building TOR for requesting service from vendors and providers needed for project implementation.
- Ensure that VFI Procurement polices are followed when procurement process for project taking place.
- Coordinate with all stakeholders in process of procurement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience of managing IT Change projects, dealing directly with stakeholders and IT teams.
- Ability to manage and influence multiple simultaneous projects and stakeholders.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English (required) and French (desirable).
- Ability to positively influence senior management.
- Analytical problem-solving skills.
- Remote working with multiple departments/organisations in multiple countries.
- Strong self-motivational skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business
- Certified qualification in Project Management (eg PMP or Prince2).
- 5+ years experience in the retail banking or micro-finance industry.
- Fluency in spoken French would be an advantage.
- Certified qualification in business process re-engineering (eg Six Sigma) would be a bonus.
- Experience implementing donor funded projects/programs.
- Home or office based (if VFI has a local office).
- Ability to travel internationally (20%) is required, when it is necessary and permitted.