APHRC seeks to recruit an Economist to work in its Education and Youth Empowerment unit.
The candidate will work primarily in a partnership project between APHRC and the Center for Global Development (CGD)—a US based organization whose mission is to reduce global poverty and improve lives through innovative economic research that drives better policy and practice by the world’s top decision makers.
- Lead the design of aspects of research projects or research projects in a way that allow high quality economic analyses including costing analyses.
- Design and lead research teams in the EYE unit (this may include coordination/ supervision of preparatory work, data collection, analytical work and reporting for research projects in the unit).
- Support economic analyses and/or costing analyses for various projects in the EYE unit on a need by need basis.
- Contribute to scientific writing, and production of technical reports, journal articles, policy briefs and blogs.
- Liaise with partners and/or collaborators to ensure unit deliverables are met.
- Contribute to the education policy dialogue and sector policy including making recommendations on strategies and policy options.
- Interact with APHRC clients at the funding and policy levels, organize and manage policy development and evaluation papers in collaboration with other researchers and our partners.
- Make significant contributions to global, regional or sub-regional or national signature issue studies.
Experience and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
- Proven sense of initiative, results orientation, teamwork and leadership qualities, including ability to work effectively across sectors.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak persuasively and to present ideas clearly and concisely to different stakeholders. Should speak and write well in English language; ability to speak and write in French language is an added advantage.
- Experience in education sector knowledge (early years of education, primary, secondary, tertiary education, and private/public education systems).
- Strong quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting development related issues as well as costing analysis, e.g. cost effectiveness and cost-benefit analysis).
- Demonstrated experience of working with statistical packages (E.g. R, STATA, SAS, SPSS, etc.).
- Experience and familiarity with generating, use and analyzing education datasets – primary/secondary data; small and huge datasets is an added advantage.
- Strong skills in economic analyses of education policies and/or emerging phenomenon.
- Strong practical experience and skills in impact evaluation designs of education and/or youth training interventions.
- PhD in Development Economics or closely related field.
- Good record of publications on relevant areas in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft packages (e.g. MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Excel) among other essential packages for a researcher.
- Successful candidates may be appointed at postdoctoral level (0-2 years after PhD), Associate Research Scientist (3-5 years after PhD), Research Scientist (6-11 years after PhD) or Senior Research Scientist (12+ years after PhD) levels depending on experience and track record.
go to method of application »
APHRC invites applications for a Data Analyst, in its IDRC-RECAP project.
This project aims to assess the extent and nature of marketing of unhealthy foods to children, the gaps, barriers and facilitators in developing and implementing nutrition related non-communicable diseases (NR-NCDs) policies as well as legal feasibility of policy interventions related to NR-NCDs and the economic burden of NCDs in Kenya.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Develop the project’s pre-analysis and analysis plans.
- Compute sample size and power calculations for the study.
- Data cleaning and analysis including doing all required consistency checks for the project.
- Document data sets according to the Center’s guidelines on data documentation, archiving and sharing.
- Extract data and prepare analytical files.
- Perform exploratory and advanced statistical analysis of data.
- Participate in training of fieldworkers.
- Support the coordination and supervision of data collection activities.
- Participate in the development, review and translation of research tools, data capture and entry platforms.
- Contribute to manuscript development, literature reviews, and technical reports and grant proposal development.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Demography, Epidemiology, Public Health or equivalent.
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing large datasets (e.g. STATA, R softwares).
- At least 2 years working experience as a data analyst.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of data/information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent communication (written and spoken) and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in GIS data analysis and/or economic analysis will be an added advantage.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application in English, and include:
- A letter of application;
- A statement of research interests and goals (1 page); and
- CV with contact details of three referees
through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons.
Interested and qualified? Go to African Population and Health Research Center on aphrc.org