APHRC is implementing a member-driven initiative in education dubbed the Regional Education Learning Initiative (RELI). RELI brings together several institutions working towards improving learning outcomes in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
RELI’s long-term goal is to empower its members to become more effective and influential organizations in improving education outcomes in the region.
To this end, APHRC seeks to recruit a Data Scientist to establish an online repository of data and evidence for RELI members.
The position will be based at APHRC, Nairobi, Kenya, and may include some travels from the home country to specified meetings in other countries in Africa.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Facilitating a discourse on data extraction, access and sharing protocols with RELI members, MEL mentors, and the funder;
- Data cleaning and harmonization including conducting all the required consistency checks for data from various partners and studies;
- Creating automated systems for data harmonization and consistency checks;
- Documentation of data sets from various partners according to agreed guidelines on data documentation, archiving and sharing;
- Perform basic and advanced statistical analysis of data;
- Developing an interactive data platform on the RELI website complete with data archiving protocol/architecture, programming the protocols, data cleaning etc.;
- Participate in evidence sharing sessions with select regional bodies to inform regional and global discourses on education and enhance RELI visibility;
- Write technical reports on data issues; and
- Participate in proposal development and review.
Key Competencies, Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in computer science, statistics, economics, machine learning, or other related technical disciplines;
- At least two years of experience in mining, processing, cleansing and quality assessment of data from diverse studies and organizations;
- Experience in data analysis using STATA, R, SPSS and data documentation software’s such as NESTAR;
- Experience in visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders and the use of relevant data science tools kit;
- Ability to regularly report and synthesize emerging information;
- Good communication, presentation, and teamwork skills.
The appointment will be for a one –year period renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding.
go to method of application »
As such, APHRC seeks to recruit a Senior Communications Officer who will coordinate the initiative’s communication efforts; the appointment will be for a period of 10 months.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Maintain, update and actively use social media tools and sites (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) for regular initiatives of the implementing partners.
- Coordinate input and develop content for the IAI webpage in collaboration implementing partners.
- Develop content and lead in the design of policy briefs, fact sheets and other advocacy collateral in liaison with implementing partners.
- Manage media relations, support the delivery of press opportunities – press releases, radio and televised interviews of immunization champions, implementing partners, staff and other stakeholders.
- Provide technical guidance on how to use media and communications to advance upcoming technical and programmatic activities.
- Support the implementation of the communications plan including the development of newsletters (internal, external).
- Attend regular communication, technical and other meetings assigned, and provide input based on lessons from past media and communications activities including social media.
- Participate in, and provide direction on communication for regional and international days related to immunization.
- Lead the production of any documentation that will be used for publicity, visibility and advocacy. Assist in creating short videos and vignettes, from previous work including accounts from immunization champions, implementing partners and other stakeholders to bring out key messages for advocacy.
- Follow immunization policy discussions and political priorities and share the information with the IAI network.
- Research on innovative methods to monitor policy influence and keep track of progress made by the country networks through their advocacy efforts.
- Conduct monitoring and impact evaluation of communications activities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, communications, public relations or related field;
- Five (5) years of post-qualification work experience in communications and public relations in an international organization;
- Understanding of graphic design and desktop publishing, including Microsoft Publisher, and Adobe or Corel suites;
- Visual media skills including use of still and video camera; ability to develop video storyboards and basic editing;
- Proficiency in MS Office, content management systems and social media platforms;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written;
- Proficiency in French is an advantage.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons.
Interested and qualified? Go to African Population and Health Research Center on aphrc.org