To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Regional Head, East Africa.
Reporting to the Vice President, Program Innovation & Delivery. The Regional Head leads the development of a portfolio of regional countries. He/ She is responsible for grant making, driving local policy and establishing AGRA locally as a thought leader in Agricultural transformation. The role generates impact by influencing stakeholders to contribute to AGRA’s theory of change.
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to the other countries within the region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development of country and regional strategy.
- Lead the successful and timely implementation of country business plans
- Building and managing a team of 8-12 professionals in a matrixed reporting environment in Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda’s programmatic and operational functions. Supervising Regional staff to ensure execution and delivery of specific objectives.
- Identifying new stakeholders to influence and find opportunities for impact generation.
- Provide mentorship to the regional teams in the development and institutionalization of tracking metrics and success criteria.
- Building the alliance by engaging with senior stakeholders and high-ranking government officials.
- Influence stakeholders to adopt or contribute to AGRAs theory of change.
- Advising the Vice President, Program Innovation & Delivery on key challenges and opportunities for delivery and execution of the AGRA strategy.
- Representing AGRA at external events as required.
- Inspiring and growing teams, partnerships and collaboration among them to ensure achievement of AGRA strategy for East Africa.
- People development of existing staff, recruitment of new staff as necessary and managing team dynamics in order to create a high-performing team.
- Direct and provide coaching to relevant technical and administrative staff as required.
- Create and implement the operating budget for the countries within the region.
- Create and present performance reports to VPs, and other Divisional Leaders to inform day to day management decisions.
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- A PHD, Masters or equivalent qualification in a relevant field.
- Specialized qualifications in the field of evaluation such as accreditation through globally or regionally recognized evaluation professional associations.
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience with 8 years’ experience in implementing and managing multi country strategies and business plans in agriculture and/or economic development space.
- Demonstrated understanding of both the government and private sector policies and governance structures.
- Experience and proven capacity to communicate effectively with different counterparts (government authorities, heads of agencies, civil society, and the private sector) to align actors and build networks.
- Experience in managing complex initiatives with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships.
- Proven leadership ability to influence, develop and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach.
- Excellent organizational, and problem solving/decision making skills.
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic.
- A working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
go to method of application »
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
The AGRA State Capability Unit (SCU) works to strengthen the functioning of national and regional level agriculture sector system in 5 key areas: (1) improving country vision, strategy, prioritized plans and flagships; (2) improving enabling policy and regulatory environment; (3) strengthening implementation capacity and delivery; (4) strengthening sector coordination and execution of government programs, and (5) increasing mutual accountability. This work aims to strengthen state capabilities in Ministries of Agriculture and affiliated institutions to transform the agricultural sector across focus countries and is delivered mostly through AGRA staff time, consultancies, grants and meetings.
AGRA is seeking an intern to support the State Capability Unit to provide technical and administrative support for the unit to help drive its functions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Intern will work under the guidance of the State Capability Team with the following responsibilities:
- Undertaking literature review to collect and prepare (background) information and data in the areas of State Capability (SC) in AGRA.
- Reviewing and editing information in the appropriate format as required.
- Participating in the design and implementation of SC program activities, including preparation of concept notes and other documents as in close coordination with the SC team.
- Contributing to Monitoring and Evaluation of state capability activities in the AGRA countries working in close collaboration with the state capability team members, country teams and the Monitoring & Evaluation unit.
- Maintain, log, file and update records in the prescribed format for subsequent use.
- Contributing to the preparation of state capability related knowledge products such as technical reports, background papers, working papers, policy briefs, Monitoring & Evaluation reports, newsletters, blogs, and proceedings of meetings.
- Preparing correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on SC activities and operational matters, as required.
- Supporting the SC team in the coordination of Alliance for a Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) deal room activities in close collaboration the State Capability- AGRF focal point.
- Carrying out other specific operational and administrative tasks for State Capability program implementation as requested.
- Contributing to the organization of meetings and workshops.
- Performing other related duties as required.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant Experience:
- A degree in development studies, sociology, agriculture economics, economics, business management, agriculture (and/or fisheries, forestry) or any other related field.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Proven experience in writing of quality technical reports will be an added advantage.
- No work experience required but a demonstration of experience in extra-curricular or non-academic activities of value will be an added advantage.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and well-developed computer skills. Ability to effectively use information systems and databases to insert and retrieve data, make enquiries and edit results.
- Exceptional interpersonal and Teamwork skills.
- Working knowledge of English is required.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Desire to learn and grow professionally.
Terms of Employment
This is an internship position based in Nairobi, Kenya. The initial contract will be for a period of three (6) months and the successful candidate shall receive a monthly stipend during this period.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts) to [email protected] noting to quote the job reference number in the subject line.
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 24th July, 2020.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.