YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Human Resources Specialist provides human resource support services in one or more of the following functions, compensation, benefits, payroll, and recruiting. The position will report to the Human Resource Manager and will be based at the any of the following locations: Arusha-Tanzania, or Nairobi-Kenya
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for administering and maintaining HR systems, programs, procedures and plans according to HR policies and will provide assistance to all levels of personnel on various HR-related issues and requests within the TNC Africa Business Unit. This position provides support to the HR manager and maintains a high degree of confidentiality and a strong customer service focus. Using their specialized knowledge, the HR Specialist will deal with customers with high level of maturity, tact and diplomacy. Their key role is to manage all staff data including information on contracts and other related data, serve as the BU focal person on recruitments, onboarding and global mobility. The role must provide excellent customer service, demonstrate initiative, take ownership of responsibilities, and complete projects with positive results. The role will work closely with the worldwide Office talent acquisition team, training and development, and Global mobility teams to provide required HR support.
Responsibilities And Scope
- Responds to moderately complex employee/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of aspects applicable to the subject area.
- Recruitment administrator for Job description development, posting, advertisements, interview schedules and reporting, reference checks, documentation, hiring & on-boarding, tracking recruitment and validation of hire information.
- Custodian of employment contracts, offer & promotion letters, introductory period, separation processes and documentation and ensure communication on employee related matters on change of employment status.
- Maintains and updates HR tracker on recruitments, fixed employment contracts, creates and maintain the integrity of the staff personnel files by storing them in a confidential manner and ensuring that all documentation is available and up to date.
- Coordinate Employee medical and benefits enrolment, renewals, cancellations, negotiations, analysis and serve as Employee contact person on health benefits and insurance. Verify benefit entitlements for accuracy and liaise with the service provider for conformance to agreements and benefits standards.
- Coordinates employee welfare and wellness. In liaison with Operations Manager ensure safety programs across all offices in the region.
- Serve as the Business Unit U Liaison person for all WO office coordinated training programs.
- Coordination of global mobility on work permits, renewals and submission of documents.
- Works closely with Payroll Manager/Finance Manager to communicate payroll matters and provide necessary monthly payroll inputs.
- Facilitate administration of staff surveys to gauge employee satisfaction, engagements and feedback.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in conferences and educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Ensure the Africa Org chart is regularly updated.
- Perform all other human resources and administrative tasks deemed necessary for the smooth running of the human resources office.
- Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 5 years related work experience in area(s) of specialization or equivalent combination.
- Human Resource certified professional.
- Experience coordinating and leading projects.
- Experience responding to HR related questions and problems from employees/management.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: database management and spreadsheet software; constructing and producing reports; data input, manipulation, and analysis.
- Experience working with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Higher Diploma in Human Resource Management.
- Member of Human Resource Management body.
- Advanced understanding of employee contracting legal framework
- Experience working with integrated Human Resources Management Systems e.g. Peoplesoft.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Solid knowledge of word processing, database management, and spreadsheet software, with ability to construct and produce reports, data input, manipulation, and analysis
- Proven track record of maintaining employee confidentiality
- May require fluency in foreign language(s) to support global operations.
- Ability to travel.
go to method of application »
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Project Manager, WIO Blue Economy oversees and manages the implementation of a new project: “Strengthening the Blue Economy of the WIO through integration of ecosystem services and effective biodiversity conservation” including all aspects of protection, science, stewardship and community relations. The 5-year German government funded project is the focus of this new role, which will be a 5-year contract position with possibility of renewal, depending on funding arrangements.
The Project Manager will develop and lead a project-focused team working towards marine spatial planning and fisheries management goals within the region, with focus on Kenya, Tanzania, Seychelles and Mauritius. The role provides scientific leadership, project management and administrative oversight to support TNC’s conservation planning work. This position will report to the Africa Oceans Strategy Director and work closely with TNC’s Africa Fisheries Team and Global Oceans Team. The position will be based at TNC’s office in Mombasa, Kenya (Nairobi may also be possible location) and may involve significant domestic and international travel.
The Project Manager will be responsible for day-to-day management and implementation of the WIO Blue Economy project work plan, including direct supervision of several TNC project staff. The Project Manager will coordinate between TNC teams, local government agencies, partner organizations and relevant stakeholders to ensure the goals and milestones of the work plan are achieved. The position holder will provide technical and project support to Conservancy field operations and serve as the principle contact to government agencies, other conservation organizations, foundations and the Academic community. The Project Manager shall help define marine conservation priorities in the WIO region to align with the aims of the Africa Oceans Strategy, and build strategic, scientific, and technical capacity in the field. The Project Manager shall also maintain administrative and budgetary oversight for all project-related activity.
The role requires strong working knowledge of Marine Spatial Planning processes, as well as community-based and industrial fisheries practices in the region. The Project Manager will direct TNC work-streams related to MSP in Kenya, Tanzania and possibly Mauritius, and fisheries management initiatives in Kenya and Seychelles. The Project Manager will facilitate integration and representation of local community and stakeholder interests across all related TNC activities in the region.
This program of work is funded by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Government, and therefore the maintenance of communications and reporting with the funding body will be a necessary part of the role (in collaboration with the Africa Oceans Strategy Director). The country-specific MSP and related activities are to be implemented in cooperation with relevant government agencies and programmes and potentially embedded within government led initiatives (e.g. the KEMFSED World Bank project in Kenya), where coordination with local agencies will be essential in order to achieve common goals.
Responsibilities And Scope
- Coordinates work streams under the “WIO Blue Economy” project in Kenya, Tanzania, Seychelles and Mauritius, related to advancing MSP, area-based marine biodiversity protections and fisheries management.
- Establishes and maintains optimal performance standards for project implementation, and with respect to integration of related TNC and partner roles within relevant programs of work.
- Writes required reports for internal and external communications and required reviews or updates.
- Frequently makes independent strategic decisions related to project developments, partnership arrangements, national and regional policy support, technical capacity requirements etc., based on analysis, available information and context.
- Negotiates complex agreements in a political environment (e.g. stakeholder and community roles and representation in protected area and fisheries management).
- Is responsible for representing TNC’s Oceans Strategy and interests within the WIO region, including development of new partnerships.
- Supervises staff based within same (Mombasa) office as well as at remote locations.
- Frequent travel domestically and internationally, evening and weekend hours (in consideration of COVID-19 related travel restrictions).
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- BA/BS degree and 7 years’ experience in marine conservation practice or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fundraising experience, including identifying donor prospects and donor cultivation
- Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including finances and coordinating the work of other professionals and partners.
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and/or government agencies.
- Experience negotiating with a range of stakeholder interests.
- Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- MSc degree in a related field and 7-10 years’ experience in marine conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience influencing, developing and implementing conservation policy and plans, including through management of large complex multi-national projects.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in MSP, fisheries management and marine conservation science, especially as applied to the WIO region.
- Ability to develop practical applications of scientific concepts and technical innovations for conservation purposes.
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other regionally relevant languages.
- Politically savvy.