Reporting to the Logistics Coordinator, the incumbent will be in charge of the overall function of Motor Transport Capacity within Care Dadaab and will provide safe transport services for CARE Dadaab programs and support staff in the described Areas of Responsibility. The position will be tasked with developing and implementing effective Transport system within Care Dadaab with focus on the existing Transport Management Policies. S/He will also ensure that at all times CARE International is compliant with the traffic regulations in accordance with the Kenya Traffic Act Cap 403 Laws of Kenya.
In addition to these duties the Transport Officer keeps proper records of vehicle related documentation and shall promote optimized transport and logistical operations of the Sector with minimal impact on existing operating procedures to support the transportation management processes.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Fleet Operational Management & Reporting.
- Preparation of yearly transport operational plans.**
- Ensure maximized efficient vehicle operation, and travel demand management.**
- Daily allocation of duties to Head drivers and drivers.**
- Liaise with security office for online tracking and monitoring of CARE vehicle movements.**
- Preparation of Monthly, and periodic fleet Management reports in a timely manner.**
- Monthly submission of updated data on vehicle usage and status.**
- Monthly generation of effective fuel efficiency reports in accordance with CARE Vehicle**
- Management policy.**
- Ensure proper maintenance of all vehicle records, and other office documentation. **
- Fleet Maintenance & Usage.
- Planning and organizing for cost effective vehicle repairs, and maintenance in liaison with the Mechanical Services Unit.
- Maintain a master register for vehicle maintenance and inspection schedule to ensure timely service of fleet as stipulated in the periodic servicing manuals
- Ensure vehicle logbooks are accurately updated with right entries by the drivers.
- Report any transport related incidences and road accidents to the supervisor
- Ensure the requirements for vehicle safety and security are met as per CARE policies.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of active road accident prevention programs.
- Ensure all vehicles are cleaned, and safely parked at their designated parking lot by 6:00 pm.
- Approve fuel consumption for CARE vehicles under RAP.
- Supervision of Drivers
- Supervise and appraise all drivers under RAP.
- Plan and manage driver’s leave schedules.
- Conduct basic trainings for drivers on vehicle maintenance, safety & security, and road safety.
- Enforcement of organizational regulations on vehicle management and ensuring compliance.
- Ensure prompt reporting of vehicle accidents by drivers.
- Ensure proper vehicle handover from drivers to the Head Driver after an assignment.
- Management of Outsourced Transport.
- Monitor fuel consumption of the outsourced fleet on a weekly basis.
- Regular weekly checks of the vehicle drivers’ logbook particulars.
- Advise the Management on the operational condition of the vehicle.
- Ensure maximization and efficient use of the outsourced transport for logistical operations.
- Spending Authority: Ksh.4,000= (petty cash).
- Supervision: all CARE drivers under RAP.
- Decision Making: makes normal decisions.
Internal:· Care Dadaab/Nairobi Staff.
Mechanical Services Unit.
- UNHCR and other Agencies.
The position is based in Dadaab Main Office with occasional visits to the Camps and other program sites. This is a non-family work station. Hot weather is prevalent throughout the year with limited basic amenities. Road movement between the work station and Garissa as well as inter-camp movement must be under police escort (scheduled convoys), with strict adherence to safety and security instructions all the time. It is a six days work station with a compensatory time off according to CTO policy.
The incumbent shall reside in the CARE compound while executing official duties and shall obey and adhere to residential compound regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
Education: Minimum of Diploma in Mechanical (Automotive) Engineering, Logistics, or Motor Transport Management.
Experience: 5 years of relevant work experience, in managing fleet operations with a minimum of 20 vehicles.
Certificate: Proficiency in Computer Applications.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to manage diverse transport operations.
- Leadership: Strong negotiation skills and ability to influence others to reach consensus.
- Excellent knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to transport operations and related matters.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field of transport management and logistics, in order to produce the most cost effective transport options for complex logistical situations.
- Communications: Excellent communication skills.
- Planning & Organizing: Ability to coordinate the work of others and work under pressure.
- Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal skills.