The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Regional M&E Coordinator Job Responsibilities
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Support and contribute to the development and implementation of M&E systems, including M&E SOPs, guidance and tools within the region
- Participate and advise on programme design and proposal discussions, including theory of change development, log frame design and budgeting for M&E
- Support programme staff in planning for and executing M&E best practises, including data collection methodology & tools, data management, analysis and usage
- Support the implementation, dissemination and use of evaluations, reviews, assessments and monitoring data in programme development, adjustment or review
- Contribute to organisational learning through supporting specific analysis, lessons learned and reports in the region
- Capacity building and training of M&E and programme staff on M&E technical and conceptual areas
- Advise and support M&E and programme staff (regional & country office) in executing M&E plans and utilizing systems
- Contribute to the design of M&E staffing structure and resourcing, including collaboration with programme staff to identify and plan for M&E needs
- Liaise with and advise country office, regional and head office M&E Staff.
- Support the roll out and implementation of NRC M&E frameworks, plans and standardization of data collection methods, tools, templates and guidelines; regionally and at country office levels
- In collaboration with regional programme and core competency advisors, support deployment and use of M&E guidance and tools for primary programming sectors in the region
- Work with countries and support in monitoring of project activities, ensuring that activities are carried out as planned or adapted to changed circumstances
- Support countries in the region with tools and appropriate methodologies for assessments of beneficiary needs, so that results are actionable and easily communicated
- Support the evaluation of projects including mid-term, final or impact project evaluations, ensuring that activities are effectively and responsively addressing beneficiary needs
- Provide hands-on technical assistance to country offices in the region by contributing technical inputs to or reviewing M&E components of project proposals
- Contribute actively to an M&E learning community within NRC, support efforts to enhance M&E systems and standards across the organization
- Coordinate with M&E staff at HQ, other regions and peer organization in developing best practices, facilitate lessons learned and coordination
- Consolidate output and outcome data from programme reports to inform NRC reporting. Map capacity building needs in the region and support training of programme and M+E support staff on M+E technical and conceptual areas
- Support M&E and programme staff in implementation of mobile data collection system and other initiatives within the region.
Qualifications for the Regional M&E Coordinator Job
- University degree preferably in statistics, operations research, quantitative analysis, public policy, economics, or other social science fields, with advanced training in rigorous empirical research and evaluation methodologies
- Experienced professional with a minimum of 8 years working at a senior level of M&E design and implementation.
- Experience required in contemporary qualitative, quantitative, and mixed method evaluations involving major international donor programs
- Thorough familiarity with principles and current approaches to M&E using both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Demonstrated significant experience in monitoring and evaluation for large and complex programs, providing specific, sound, and rigorous M&E technical assistance
- Extensive experience in developing baseline research, logic models, data collection and analysis, mid-term evaluation, and outcome evaluation
- Understanding of donor expectations and trends in M&E
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring, and other formal and non-formal methods
- Solid experience of work with windows based computer software, SSP, GIS, excellent at excel and use of Digital
- Data Gathering (DDG) technology
- Experience in conducting M&E activities in highly insecure context and for programme using community based approach (including data collection, statistical analysis, qualitative research, outcome monitoring and dissemination of results)
- Experience in designing survey and research tools, organizing and delivering training workshops, managing community mobilization and advocacy activities for local non-governmental organizations
- Ability to work closely with field based national staff and experience in various staff training
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Coping with change
- Working with people
- Handling insecure environments
Duty station: Nairobi
Contract period: 12 Months with possibility of extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi.
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
M&E Coordinator Job Responsibilities
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Support and contribute to the development and implementation of M&E systems, including M&E SOPs, guidance and tools.
- Participate in programme design and proposal discussions, including theory of change development, log frame design and budgeting for M&E.
- Support programme staff in planning for and executing M&E, including, data collection methodology and tools and data management, analysis and use.
- Support the implementation, dissemination and use of evaluations, assessments and monitoring data in programme development, adjustment or review.
- Contribute to organisational learning through supporting specific analysis, lessons learned and reports.
- Capacity building and training of programme and M&E support staff on M&E technical and conceptual areas.
- Supervise and mentor M&E support staff in executing M&E plans.
- Contribute to the design of M&E staffing structure and resourcing, including collaboration with programme staff to identify and plan for M&E needs.
Specific Responsibilities of the M&E Coordinator Job
- Support the establishment of minimum standards and plans, standardization of data collection methods and tools at consortium level, consent, privacy and security,
- In Conjunction with Consortium Partners, develop and maintain systems to collect and analyse information on outputs, outcomes and impact of the SPARK program.
- Ensure quality, consistency and adherence to SPARK consortium set standards and best practices for M&E across all partners, including data quality and use
- Support M&E Capacity gap assessment, develop and implement capacity building plan, and establish common quality control and assurance mechanisms for partners in all phases of the SPARK programme
- Work collaboratively with SPARK consortium partners to develop M&E plans, M&E Matrices, plan for M&E activities, budgets, timelines etc.
- Facilitate and support activities related to: setting up a vulnerability assessment approach (including gender / disability), beneficiary criteria selection, targeting methods and tools; needs assessment, development of log frame indicators, baseline, end line, midterm/final evaluations, dissemination and use of lessons learnt for the SPARK programme.
- Standardize all partner’s digital data gathering, analysis, documentation of best practices, support Information management and sharing and for advocacy purposes among the consortium partners internally and externally
- Support the development of common approaches for beneficiary feedback and complaints mechanisms and provide recommendations for how these mechanisms can be set up and managed.
- Undertake regular field trips to the project area, to ensure that the Consortium M&E system is functioning as required. This may involve providing training or capacity building to Consortium M&E and programme staff and predominantly means identifying issues impeding the successful deployment of our M&E strategy and proposing adequate solutions
M&E Coordinator Job Qualifications
- At least 5 years experience in an international NGO preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting, including M&E capacity and systems development
- Minimum of a higher education degree in social science, economics, business administration, management, or related field. Prior experience in monitoring and evaluation is required.
- Knowledge and experience in developing data collection and analysis tools is an asset and experience in developing data management software will be an added advantage
- Considerable experience in overseeing the implementation of M&E and accountability activities at field level.
- Prior experience of M&E training and capacity building. Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods.
- Previous experience of conducting organisational capacity assessments and designing training/capacity building strategies would be advantageous.
- Good knowledge of participatory approaches and humanitarian accountability frameworks.
- Knowledge of mobile-phone based data collection systems is preferred (Kobo, ODK).
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree in Social science
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Advanced English Language level
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is a plus
- Strong computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Familiarity with MS Access or other database software is desirable.
- Proven presentation, training and facilitation skills
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.