If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Article 19 is a British human rights organization with a specific mandate and focus on the defense and promotion of freedom of expression and freedom of information worldwide founded in 1987.
Senior Programme Officer Job Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of concept papers and proposals, work plans and timetables in coordination with the Fundraising and Compliance Officer;
- Attending meetings with stakeholders (funding and implementing) to discuss and develop joint interventions;
- Attending fundraising and negotiation meetings and;
- Assist in identification of new funding opportunities and partners.
- Development and execution of annual programme work plans
- Assisting partners to develop and implement national/regional campaign and advocacy strategies;
- Organising and facilitate capacity building workshops with partners;
Qualifications for the Senior Programme Officer Job
- At least 3 years experience in policy work, monitoring, advocacy and/or campaigning work in the human rights sector;
- At least 2 year experience of managing budgets and projects;
- Experience of working with partner organisations;
- Experience of working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Masters Degree level or equivalent with post-graduate qualification in human rights, law, African studies, international relations, political science, media, communication, or other relevant field being an added advantage. Knowledge
- Familiarity with human rights, freedom of expression and/or democratisation issues in Eastern Africa
- Familiarity with international and regional mechanisms for promoting and protecting human rights.
- Knowledge of politics and societies in Eastern Africa 3 Skills
- Able to operate on own initiative with demonstrable time-management skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili;
- Analytical and strategic planning skills;
go to method of application »
Senior Programme Officer Job Responsibilitieslates
- Contribute to an organizational fundraising strategy for grant-based income to support the overall strategic aims and objectives of the organisation
- Based on the strategy, identify fundraising targets through prospect research and recommend potential funding opportunities.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with existing and potential foundations and funders.
- Work closely with the fundraising officer in London and program staff in to support the development of fundraising proposals in keeping with the overall strategy.
- Lead on the development and production of grant proposals in the regional Office; persuasively communicating the organisation’s mission and programs to potential funders;
- Coordinate with relevant staff all application activities, including planning, writing, document gathering, communications and final submissions
- Work with programmes and finance staff to develop accurate budget information for all proposal applications
- Manage final submission, ensuring that all required paperwork is fully compliant with applications requirements and is submitted in a timely manner
- Design and manage a database to ensure all contacts and submissions are fully documented for reference purposes
- Maintain a calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports
- Follow up on all application submissions and gather feedback so as to continuously improve the effectiveness of fundraising operations
Qualifications for the Senior Programme Officer Job
- Masters Degree level or equivalent with post-graduate qualification in human rights, law, African studies, international relations, political science, media, communication, or other relevant field being an added advantage.
- Knowledge of human rights plus knowledge of key freedom of expression and information issues Experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in the design or development of M&E methods and approaches within the INGO or NGO or similar sector
- Demonstrable knowledge of funding application processes and contracts management, funding streams and cycles, particularly for European Commission and donor governments such as Sweden, the UK, USA, Germany, Norway and the Netherlands
- Ability to work collaboratively, building relationships across the organisation and with external stakeholders
- Proven experience with logical framework approach using global indicators
- Proven experience with planning and implementation of M&E systems
- Proven experience of working with staff and partners to implement M&E and reporting systems
- Experience of managing evaluations in conjunction with field officers
- Proven experience of writing reports as a result of M&E processes, to both external and internal audiences
- Experience of synthesising, summarising and providing clear analysis of a complex organisational reporting process Skills, Experience and Abilities
- Experience securing funds from private foundations, government and multi-lateral funding sources (e.g. the European Commission and the United Nations)
- Demonstrable experience in proposal writing and development
- Experience of networking and relationship building with a wide range of donors
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage conflicting priorities
- Proven ability to lead programmes of work with clear deadlines set to others within the organisation, and ability to motivate others to comply with deadlines
- Proven ability to work on own initiative and to play a leadership role within an organisation
- Proven ability to work under pressure and manage time effectively
- Knowledge of institutional donorsExcellent written and spoken English
- Proven experience and ability of adapting writing in English for different audiences
- Excellent interpersonal communication and influencing skills, including ability to build relationships with wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Proven ability to work with others not fluent in English language
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send a covering letter highlighting how they meet the person specification and a CV to: email@example.com . Closing date for receipt of applications: 14th December, 2016. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted