If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Rockefeller Foundation has a unique opportunity to play a central role in fixing food loss—an eminently fixable problem. Just as we deployed resources to increase production when there simply was not enough food to feed humanity, we now have an opportunity—and an imperative—to ensure that the food that is grown is consumed. This is why the Rockefeller Foundation launched the YieldWise Initiative in January 2016.
As Special Advisor to the Managing Director (SAMD) you will play a major role in building the capacity of the Africa Regional Office (ARO) by ensuring it is appropriately setting, prioritizing, and following through on its goals.
Serving as a critical member of the ARO team, the SAMD supports the Managing Director (MD) across all of his responsibilities and ensures that the entire team is aligned and executing on a prioritized agenda.
You will help manage ARO external stakeholder relationships and take the lead on various projects.
The SAMD role offers the rare opportunity to work closely with the MD to drive real impact on a complex problem with a high level of strategic influence.
While drawing on an established project planning and management skillset, you are eager to support the work through continuous innovation.
The work will be fast-paced, often ambiguous, and spread across multiple, diverse projects simultaneously.
You are right for this role if you are deeply entrepreneurial and have significant experience providing strategic, advisory leadership and project management support to prioritize and advance an agenda.
This role is based in Nairobi, Kenya and is a fixed term three year contract.
Responsibilities for the Special Advisor Job
Support to Managing Director
- Working in collaboration with the Administrative Assistant, Associate Directors (ADs)/ and Regional Finance and Administrative Manager (RFAM), as needed, supervise the MD’s calendar of appointments, advising on essential and important engagements, both internally and externally.
- As the first point-of-contact for queries to the MD, provide both effective communication about our work and apply judgment to triage new contacts and manage competing demands.
- Serve as the MD’s proxy, develop and manage strategic oversight of the MD’s activities, and ensure appropriate follow through.
Managing internal processes
- Support a formal management system with ADs/RFAM and initiative teams.
- Manage the logistics of program team and all ARO staff meetings by setting agenda with MD and ensure parties are prepared.
- Support MD by preparing him for all senior level internal meetings, assuring strategic advice and follow up.
External representation and influence agenda
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders to manage the MD’s thought leadership plan and external representation.
- Manage relationships with critical stakeholders with prepared briefs for important meetings and coordinated follow up with relevant external and internal staff.
- Working with Regional Communications and Information Officer, assist in preparing documents for communications and the VPIS and/or President’s Office (briefing reports, talking points, input into speeches, articles, blogs, op-eds, etc.).
Projects coordination / management
- Drive special high-priority projects/initiatives as needed, includingDesign, coordinate and support special projects such as ARO CRM.
- Event coordination, both logistics and content.
- Support the initiative team members in follow-up and follow-through on project management.
Competencies for the Special Advisor Job
- Communication: Excellent interpersonal abilities; good listening skills; strong writing and verbal skills; assertiveness in presenting ideas
- Decision-Making: Ability to work independently while evaluating risks and opportunities; uses analytical and problem-solving skills; takes initiative and drives for results; able to prioritize
- Execution: Strong project management skills; meets deadlines; sense of urgency and responsibility; ability to multi-task and work under pressure; detail oriented
- Integration: Accesses functional and substantive expertise organizationally; demonstrates inclusiveness, collaboration
- Leadership: Thinks innovatively and creatively; displays negotiation skills
- Partnership and Relationship Building: Strong professional representation of the Foundation, interpersonal abilities, intercultural knowledge and appreciation, strategic partnership building
- Strategic Ability: Anticipates future opportunities and consequences, demonstrates innovative approach to work, ability to organize chaos into coherent plan
Qualifications for the Special Advisor Job
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs/Development, Public Policy, Management, Social Sciences
- Minimum of five years work experience in multiple sectors, preferably with project and planning experience in both for-profit and non-profit environments
- Track record in delivering results on time
- Experience in managing multiple large projects concurrently
- Working knowledge of French language desired
Compensation: The Rockefeller Foundation offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
The Foundation provides a very generous package of benefits.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Rockefeller Foundation career website on careers-rockefellerfoundation.icims.com to apply