TechnoServe (TNS) is a nonprofit international development organization founded in 1968. TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Fortification Manager Job Responsibilities
The FM will manage the implementation of the Food Fortification Program at the country level, working within the program resources and mandate to meet the objectives of their country plan. The FM will establish relationships with food processors and industry stakeholders and identify capacity building needs towards improving industry compliance, he/she will then work with support from PFS experts to define and execute projects that improve processor compliance to fortification standards. The FM will proactively review, make recommendations and report on programmatic activities to deliver TechnoServe’s strategic plan for Food Fortification in their country and as part of the broader regional program.
As well as identifying and supporting technical needs of food processors, the FM will also oversee the country team, which includes a senior business advisor (SBA), supporting complementary business needs of assisted food companies. Business support will include assisting processors with customized business planning, adoption of food fortification and food safety protocols, overseeing market studies, and developing customized processor marketing strategies, business operations and provision of other business advisory services. As the senior project staff member in country, the FM will oversee the activities of the country, managing the country finances and reporting their country progress; he/she will work in close cooperation with project partners and will receive technical oversight from the Regional Program Director.
- Work with selected companies to identify their challenges to adequate fortification compliance, support assisted companies with solutions to address these challenges and coordinate with experts from PFS partner companies as needed for additional technical advice
- Identify common fortification industry weaknesses and work with partners to support the design and delivery of sector wide training workshops to strengthen these gaps
- Review, monitor, and report on all programmatic activities including periodic progress, and financial reports, ensuring strict compliance with TNS’s objectives, strategies, policies and procedures. Make appropriate recommendations on the implementation plan
- Represent TNS and the fortification program at the country level, meeting with potential partners and stakeholders: food processing company directors and production managers, government institutions and regulators, technical industry experts, service providers and universities, complimentary programs, NGOs and related agencies
- Identify, review and select prospective companies for program support, champion the needs of selected food companies, familiarize them with the program offering and help them navigate the fortification regulation requirements as effectively as possible
- Assist the Regional Program Director and management unit in timely tracking of country expenditures, budget management and forecasting, HR recruiting and country staff management, monitoring and evaluation of program results and the development of country workplans
- Represent the country activities through reports, presentations, hosting of leadership, donor or stakeholder site visits and other communications as required.
Key Organizational Relationships
- The FM will report directly to the Regional Program Director on strategic issues related to work planning, targets, budgets, staff and program delivery
- The FM will receive technical oversight and support from the PFS Technical Lead with respects to training and technology transfer to assisted companies
- Kenya Country Director to align with country objectives, administrative and compliance requirements and to receive support and assistance from the local office as required
- Regional M&E manager to facilitate data capture and reporting
- Regional program accountant to reconcile program expenses, budget tracking and prepare for upcoming expenses
Skills & Attributes
- Food processing experience, preferably in staple foods, with an understanding of quality management, food regulatory compliance and fortification technology
- Strong project management and strategic thinking abilities
- Analytical mind and commitment to quality; rigorous approach with a high level of attention to detail.
- Highly level of integrity – present truthful information in an appropriate and helpful matter and keeps confidences
Core competences required
- Proven ability to work in an environment requiring collaboration with the private sector, government, and national and international organizations
- Strong negotiation and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Flexible, proactive, goal-oriented and with a willingness to travel in challenging environments.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, problem solving, and creativity
- Problem solving an decision making
- Organizing, planning and time management
- Team work/relationship – works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team with the full understanding of the role to be played as a team member or leader
Qualifications for the Fortification Manager Job
- At least 5 years of experience working in the food industry for either the private sector or in a senior management position implementing on behalf of a development program, with strong quality management experience a must
- Managerial experience, including supervision of staff, budget management and use of project management systems
- Bachelor’s in Food Technology, Nutrition, or food industry related fields; Master’s preferred
- Computer literacy with excellent Excel, MS word, Outlook, and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent command of spoken and written English is essential
- Working knowledge of Swahili is highly desirable
- Ability and willingness to travel both locally and abroad
Method of Application
- Please submit your application (by email only) to email@example.com with the position title placed in the subject line. Please include (1) Cover letter describing your interest, (2) Curriculum Vitae, (3) Salary history and (4) Telephone contacts of three professional referees. Please include all requirements in one document (pdf). Applications will be treated confidentially. Deadline for application is 16th December 2016. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.