Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust is an organization operating in rural Rarieda District. The organization began as a grass-root CBO in 2003 to assist orphaned children and youth through community empowerment. Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust has since developed into a dynamic organization, focused on empowerment and development, both within the community and the organization.
Purpose Of The Position
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the Management Team, the Finance Manager will provide efficient, timely and accurate financial management information and expertise to enable timely management, decision-making and safeguard the company’s assets from loss arising from fraud or error.
Finance Manager Job Major Duties And Responsibilities
- Manage projects financial records including updating Project books in QuickBooks e.g. Bank and petty cash books, ledgers and journal.
- Manage preparation, co-ordination and control of budget including budget forecasts and budget tracking.
- Manage cash flow projections and actual cash analysis.
- Manage cost centers for business units.
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliation of all bank accounts.
- Ensure monthly trial balances and final accounts are correctly done i.e. income and expenditure & balance sheet.
- Ensure that Finance staff maintain check and cash payment vouchers files.
- Oversee banking of staff salary checks in their individual bank accounts.
- Manage payroll and statutory deductions.
- Ensure monthly financial reports are compiled according to donor specifications.
- Review and send accurate and timely financial reports to donors and trustees.
- Oversee office petty cash management, i.e. receipts and disbursements.
- Ensure timely petty cash projections and daily cash count.
- Ensure timely preparation for Audit and effective implementation of recommendations.
- Ensure that RWMT does not suffer any financial or material loss through fraud and error by ensuring that cash and all assets are safeguarded by closely monitoring and maintaining an adequate system of internal control.
- Ensure adequate insurance for all premises, furniture and equipment.
- Ensure that RWMT complies with all the legal, regulatory and audit requirements, including submitting relevant reports to the management.
- Ensure safekeeping of all unused check books.
- Oversee the implementation of inventory checks and stock movement procedures.
- Ensure maintenance of Fixed Asset register.
- Ensure quarterly procurement schedule is aligned to quarterly budgets.
- Ensure timely payments of procurements for project supplies and equipment.
- Ensure that Inventory Goods Received Notes are correctly received and signed.
- Ensure that periodic inventory counts are undertaken.
- Authorise all internal and external requisitions before issues or cash disbursements for procurement is done.
- Oversee weekly and monthly inventory reporting
- Teach and guide beneficiaries in various organizational development and financial literacy/management
- Provide quarterly budget vs actual reports for each Programs Team
- Take part in mass issues of items from the inventory e.g. sanitary towels, mosquito nets, school uniforms and clothes to OVCs.
Governance and Management
- Ensure adherence to RWMT’s Financial Policy and Procedures Manuals, generally accepted accounting standards and statutory reporting requirements.
- Attend workshops and forums as organized by the donors or RWMT.
- Filing annual returns with Kenya Revenue Authority.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the Executive Director, Trustees and management from time to time and which are related to the achievement of RWMT’s mission and vision.
- Actively participate in the Saturday Psycho-Social Support Program for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and build the community’s capacity to eventually run the Saturday PSS on their own.
Knowledge & Skills Required for the Finance Manager Job
(The knowledge, skills and abilities may be required through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior experience or on-the-job-training).
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in finance or other relevant disciplines
- Must hold a professional qualification such as CPA, ACCA, CFA, or CA.
- Detail oriented and well-organized
- Requires strong interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and administration skills.
- At least seven (7) years’ experience; three of which should be in management position
go to method of application »
Purpose Of The Position
This post will require the incumbent to dramatically grow the organization’s income over the next three to five years, finding and keeping profitable donors for organizational sustainability and scale-up of its charitable activities.
The Grant Writer will mobilize resources from a host of sources including but not limited to domestic and international donors, local corporations and governments.
This staff member will collaborate creatively with staff and beneficiaries to help conceptualize and establish new fundable projects, as well as source funding to perpetuate those projects that are on-going.
Grant Writer & Fundraising Coordinator Job Major Duties and Responsibilities
Streamline organizational processes to increase donor sources
- Write concept notes, project notes and/or funding proposals to potential donors and ensure their timely submission.
- Identify and respond to all relevant “call for proposals” in a timely manner.
- Develop a resource file of funding proposal templates from major donors, as well as create RWMT templates to leverage when new potential grants arise.
- Create and manage a donor database with all contact information and records of previous engagements.
- Investigate all possible means of receiving funds from various sources including but not limited to: online donations, cash/cheque donations (received in local and in foreign currency), credit card-generated donations, M-pesa, etc
Coordination of the organisation’s fundraising program
- Develop, in consultation with the staff, Program Manager and Executive Director new ideas for fundraising activities to generate revenue for the organization.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for implementation of the organisation’s fundraising strategy, including annual fundraising calendars, to guide RWMT’s pursuit of donor funding in support of identified
- projects, in line with RWMT’s vision, mission and strategic plan.
- Full event management of fundraisers, including event budgeting, venue coordination, guest invitation and registration processes, speaker and VIP support, on-site troubleshooting and event follow-up.
- Create and manage a network of local and international fundraising volunteers.
- Boost the profile of the organisation and ease-of-access for potential funders by regularly updating and enhancing the organisation’s Website and Facebook.
- Improve and update organisation’s communication materials.
Networking and donor relationship-building
- Improve and update organisation’s communication materials.
- Recommend potential donors abroad (namely from Europe and the United States) with the goal of drawing funds from foreign sources into the organisation.
- Assisting the Management Team and Executive Director in management of correspondence and organizational contact with donors and potential donors.
- Actively participating in relevant meetings, conferences and other functions.
- Making connections with donors through various channels including social media, coordination of site visits, use of local Kenyan and international media.
- Identifying opportunities for RWMT staff to participate in projects and activities with other stakeholders to strengthen RWMT’s network in the Kenyan development community.
- Keeping abreast of international donor trends and opportunities and acting as advisor on the same.
- Keeping abreast of international donor trends and opportunities and acting as advisor on the same. Actively participate in RWMT’s strategic planning process to ensure proposed development initiatives are integrated into the fundraising strategy.
- Collaborate with the Management team to identify budget gaps, and to develop new demanddriven project ideas, for which to apply for funding.
- Co-facilitate trainings with relevant staff to participate in the grant management cycle (training in simple proposal writing, the basics of conducting donor-funded projects, anti-corruption education, responsible handling of donor funds, simple report writing instruction, etc.)
Qualifications for the Grant Writer & Fundraising Coordinator Job
(The knowledge, skills and abilities may be required through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior experience or on-the-job-training)
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Communication or other related fields.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience, at least three (3) of which must be in the African development or not-for-profit sector, with at least some experience working directly with grassroots organisations operating at the community level working with vulnerable and at-risk populations including people living with HIV, orphans/vulnerable children, women and the rural poor.
- Proven track record soliciting donor funds from international sources, including skills in networking, donor relationships and experience with the requirements of international donor organs (i.e. USAID, DFID, United Nations, European Union).
- Excellent critical thinking skills and an ability to act in an advisory capacity to the organisation’s Management team.
- Ability to build budgets and plan project funding and supervise financial reporting to donors.
- Experience with the project management and grant management cycles.
- Comfortable with public speaking and meeting/training facilitation; able to represent the organisation in a professional manner in public and in meetings.
- Ability to bridge the cultural divide between representatives of European and/or American donor agencies and the Kenyan organization.
- Excellent English-language skills; an additional international language would be an asset.
- Excellent writing skills; with the ability to tell a story in a clear, engaging and persuasive way.
- A flair for producing documents for donors, the media, stakeholders and the general public, including experience with the basics of graphic design, careful attention to detail, quality reports, press releases
Method of Application
Interested candidates are requested to email the following to, firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd February, 2017.
- Cover Letter, stating the position for which you are applying, along with current remuneration or last remuneration, if currently unemployed,
- Three paragraph motivation statement and why you feel you meet the requirements,
- Three references and
- An updated C.V.
IMPORTANT: All four (4) above mentioned steps must be followed. Applications not following all steps will automatically be disqualified.