If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Islamic Relief is an international NGO, established in 1984 in the UK, Seeking to promote sustainable Economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and development activities. We aim to help the needy regardless of Race, Religion, Color and Gender.
In consultation with Senior Education Officer, the holder of the position will have overall responsibility on supervision of National teachers and Assistant education officers, monitoring and evaluation of refugee education activities in IFO refugee camp and Ifo 2 east and west camp.
He reports to the Senior Education Officer.
Education Officer Job Key Responsibilities
- Check on Work plans of National Teachers and AEO’s and ensure implementation of the same.
- Assign duties appropriately to National Teachers and AEO’s according to their JD.
- Guide and Support National Teachers as they train and mentor education supervisors, head teachers incentive teachers, and school management committees in order to ensure quality delivery of programs.
- Work closely with M&E and SMP supervisor for the timely production of SMP reports.
- Ensuring that the implementation of Islamic Relief’s Education projects promotes capacity building to the maximum degree possible with local communities, the Education system, UNHCR, local NGOs, CBOs, and government staff and agencies.
- Should adhere to CPP (Child Protection Policy)
- Ensure timely production of reports by collecting reports from education officers and forward them to senior education officer for compilation into one report.
- Document programme learning and disseminate lessons learned to key stakeholders in the field.
- Support National teachers to identify areas for development and jointly plan capacity building opportunities
- Ensure education team’s strengths are identified and recognized for programme and individual development
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Senior Education Officer, M&E Officer, Area Manager or other key Management Staff.
- At least 3 years of progressive experience in primary education programs for refugees or rural communities.
- Experience gained within an international humanitarian NGO will be an added advantage.
- Strong analytical and administrative skills in the management of education/programs consisting of primary education.
- Experience in report writing and excellent computer skills. Experience in Training of Trainers/Facilitators skills (TOT & TOF) an advantage
Qualifications for the Education Officer
- Degree – Bachelor degree in education.
- Proven knowledge on integrated Early Childhood Development training, curriculum development, implementation and educational administration.
- Proven academic or on-job training and understanding of the Project Cycle model in managing humanitarian assistance.
go to method of application »
Community Health Coordinator Job Key Responsibilities
- Establish a plan of action for all outreach activities and make it understood by camp outreach nurses. This includes planning and monitoring of outreach activities.
- Coordinate through camp outreach nurse; the activities of CHW’s, TBA’s and community volunteers in providing community based curative, promotive, preventive health and nutrition services.
- Promote and coordinate activities for community mobilization and participation in their health welfare especially on safe motherhood, IYCF, FP and postnatal care.
- In coordination with Nutrition coordinator, have a joint planning for nutrition surveys and health campaigns (e.g. measles) jointly undertaken for effective and efficient resources management as well as improve coverage while saving the refugees time to do other livelihood activities.
- This includes effective implementation of SFP/TFP and feeding activities defaulter tracing.
- Prepare budget proposals for outreach activities putting into considerations the total amount available in grant agreement and other competing activities.
- Organize and attend training for staff and incentive workers on emerging health issues for better disease surveillance and control.
- Coordinate integrated Disease surveillance and Response activities
- Coordinate the defaulter tracing system in the camp.
- Ensure timely reporting of all disease of public health concern and timely collection of required specimens
- In liaison with the DPHN organize timely collection of vaccines for IFO camp from Garissa and Central KEPI STORES in Nairobi.
- Data collection and timely writing of monthly outreach related reports/statistics.
- Compilation of biweekly and monthly outreach sitrep reports.
- Supervise, coordinate and oversee the operations of IFO camp outreach Nurses. This includes ensuring that their activities are coordinated and outreach resources availed equitably.
- Supervise the implementation of community based care and activities.
- Supervise CHWs.
- Liaise with the MoH for EPI supplies and joint mass campaigns and vaccinations for childhood illness. This includes joint campaigns and mass education.
- Represent IRK- inter-agency (including with MoH) meetings on issues relating to outreach or otherwise as directed by the Health coordinator.
- In liaison with camp doctors/head nurse/nutrition coordinator, and through camp outreach nurses, coordinate the outreach activities for disease contact tracing and mapping for effective disease control.
Minimum Requirements for the Community Health Coordinator Job
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public health, Environmental health or Diploma in Nursing with added advantage of more than 2 years’ experience in Community health programme.
go to method of application »
The programme includes a strong focus on disaster risk reduction to reduce the vulnerability of rural livelihoods to external shocks and the effects of climate change, as well as the strengthening of organization advocacy capacities to influence public rural development.
The successful candidate will need to understand and take on Islamic Relief’s values and commitment to pastoral communities’ economic empowerment.
Lastly they will need to show strong self-awareness, interpersonal skills, and self-motivation, with the ability to deliver results and work well under pressure and to be flexible in demanding situations.
The Project assistant will be responsible for the day to day engagement with the project implementation stakeholders and farmers in Mandera to ensure project results and realized in an effective manner as per the project documents and donor guidelines and expectations.
Livelihood Project Assistant Job Key Responsibilities
Project Administration and Operation
- Implementation of the Securing Water for Food (SWFF) project in accordance with the project requirements and work plan.
- Organize and execute Farmers/Group Saving and Loans Associations (GSLAs) capacity building in line with the IR training manual.
- Monitor GSLAs economic activities initiated through the project for technical advice and link them to other private sector players for partnership.
- Mobilize savings among GSLAs and ensure group rule including weekly meetings are followed by all the members.
- Collaborate with local entrepreneurs and stakeholders to identify market opportunities for farmers participating in the SWFF project.
- Build the business capacity of the targeted GSLAs for easy access of available credit facilities for start-up capital and expansion of business ventures.
- Work with local partners in advocacy efforts around strategic issues affecting farmers in Mandera and ensure their participation in the county government processes.
- Keep abreast of political, economic and social developments priorities in the area of operation and report the same to the line manager for appropriate action.
- Identify existing and emerging challenges facing the community and recommend suitable sustainable innovative approaches of addressing the gaps.
- Link with other related interventions run by IRK and other partners in Mandera to ensure synergy and avoid duplication of activities.
- Work with the project staff in the development of other sustainable development Programmes appropriate for the target location.
- Monitor and mentor the field GSLA promoters
- Compile all projects monitoring information on a regular basis and documentation of lessons learnt from field visits and project activities.
- Report regularly to the line Manager on general progress including learning, participation in project activities and other relevant matters.
- Work closely with relevant government department that are charged with Agribusiness agenda both at the sub-county, county and the national government level in Mandera.
- Maintain service-oriented culture to achieve service excellence objective.
- Prepare and conduct community sensitization forums/meetings with community groups.
- Document lessons learned from training activities, community meeting and assist in preparing training reports
- Represent IRK in Food Security and Livelihood forums in the assigned area.
- Participate in Food Security Advocacy forums in Mandera County.
Design, Monitoring and Evaluation activities
- Participate in the development of appropriate tools for monitoring and reporting including Detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and M&E Plans.
- Participate in regular lessons learned feedback sessions with the project team
Essential Skills & Qualifications for the Livelihood Project Assistant Job
- Advanced Diploma on Agriculture, Agribusiness, entrepreneurship, economics or any other food security related field.
- A Bachelor’s degree in similar fields is preferred and will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of at least Three years’ experience in sustainable livelihood, Group saving schemes and enterprise development Programmes targeting vulnerable groups.
- Vast experience in youth livelihood Programmes –planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Knowledge of the key issues/challenges and trends with regard to sustainable livelihood in pastoral communities.
- Excellent command of the most common methodologies to identify, execute and monitor GSLA activities, with proven record of achievements;
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Flexible, with ability to work and handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to provide continuous input on the organization’s processes, implementation of new systems etc
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work hands-on, independently, and within a team
- Strong communication (written & spoken) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as a part of a team.
- Valid motorbike driving license will be an added advantage
Method of Application
Send in your applications to Hr.firstname.lastname@example.org