If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Médecins sans frontières (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases. It was founded in France in response to the Biafran War. The organization is known in most of the world by its localized name or simply as MSF; in Canada and the United States the name Doctors Without Borders is commonly used. In 2015 over 30,000, mostly local, doctors, nurses and other medical professionals, logistical experts, water and sanitation engineers and administrators provided medical aid in over 70 countries. These doctors and nurses decided to volunteer their time to solve issues of world health. Private donors provide about 90% of the organization's funding, while corporate donations provide the rest, giving MSF an annual budget of approximately US$750 million.
General Objective and Job Environment:
Reporting to the Nairobi Branch office Director and functionally to the Head of the Supply Unit, s/he will contribute to identify and develop East, West Africa and Middle East Regional Supply Opportunities in close collaboration with the Displacement Unit (DU), the cells and Kenya Supply Unit (KSU)
S/he will have an operational role providing support to the mission and will be ready to be deployed to implement actions responding to specific supply needs. (Market assessment, launching of emergencies, reception of big cargos, coaching of new staff…)
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
1-Operational field support
- Undertake regular field visits and provide off-site technical support to missions in terms of local procurement, purchasing, and to lesser extent storage and distribution related issues
- Is available to boost the supply chain capacity in the field when needed (emergency support, coaching of new staff…)
- Lead and support improvement efforts for specific OCBA missions, and for OCBA regional/global or intersectional initiatives. Improvement efforts can be related in first place to local procurement and purchasing, and to lesser extent storage and distribution related questions. Efforts can comprise analysis, guidance in decision taking, stakeholder management and implementation (-planning).
- Participate in the annual planning to provide advice on supply and anticipate future needs, to ensure a proper supply plan for logistics-related products.
- Maintain partnership and collaborative relations with regional NGOs and MSF sections in supply activities, including distribution and storage capacities.
- Focal point of all procurement for OCBA missions which are out of MSF standard
2- Regional supply chain and supplier management support
A – Regional Procurement Support
- Lead the relation with KSU, e.g. the link between KSU and the missions, cells, Displacement Unit and HQ Supply Chain Unit.
- Identify opportunities in the region to increase the use of KSU resources
- Monitor and evaluate supplier performance with KSU, based on KPIs and follow-up of improvement initiatives
- Seek for supply opportunities to increase the effectiveness in the use of the potential of the region
b – Nairobi Branch Office
- Implement MSF OCBA standard supply chain procedures at the Nairobi Branch office.
C- Supply support Displacement Unit
- Support the Displacement Unit in suppliers’ identification and negotiation.
- Ensure that new products define by Displacement Unit and technical referents at regional level are available for all the missions
4. HR and Capacity Building
- Conducting briefing /debriefing for supply chain responsible related staffs.
- Draw -with head of supply unit- systematic coaching Plans for supply chain responsible staffs in OCBA missions.
- Participate as facilitator for supply chain modules in Co weeks or trainings.
Education and experience
- Degree in Procurement/Logistics
- Strong Procurement background including suppliers negotiation, with at least 3 years’ experience
- In-depth knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Field experience with MSF or other NGO is a must
- Fluent written and spoken English and French. Arabic and Spanish are an asset
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness and Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Initiative and Innovation
- Capacity to Negotiate
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Based in Nairobi MSF office with frequent visits to the filed (40 % of his/her working time) and occasional visits to Barcelona HQ and Europe.
- Minimum commitment with the position of 3 years
- Full time work.
- Annual gross salary: 3,328,598. KES secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae and cover motivation letter by September 1st 2017 under the reference “PROCUREMENT ADVISOR ´´ to:
MSF will contact only short-listed candidates.