If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security. We work with civil society, governments and international organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research, and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others. Saferworld has worked in Africa since 1997. We have well-established programmes in Kenya, Uganda, Somalia/land, South Sudan, and Sudan. Overall our engagement in Africa combines programme implementation at the community level, dialogue, capacity-building, policy research, networking and advocacy, and working with institutions and civil society at national, regional, and international levels.
Purpose and Objective
The purpose of this assignment is to conduct the technical preparation of mixed method research hardware and programme research tools into data collection software in order to capture information efficiently, effectively and securely. Technical support will then be required to conduct data analysis and to identify results, trends and linkages.
o Identify the software and hardware to be used for capturing data during the research and to be deployed for data analysis.
o Work with the PCT team to create a questionnaire and upload it to the relevant software and hardware.
o Ensure data capture, transfer and storage is secure using coded encryption, and provide guidance on secure data storage. This may be done in consultation with Saferworld Information Security consultants.
o Provide ad-hoc support to identify and address technical support requirements during the testing of the tools and deployment in the field.
o Provide technical support and where necessary training for the analysis of quantitative data using mutually agreed statistical software analysis tools. **
Competence and experience:**
- A minimum of five years’ experience designing and programming quantitative and qualitative research software and hardware using mobile data collection tools.
- Direct experience of conducting research in Somalia or in conflict affected areas with challenging technical environments – such as limited electricity, limited and unreliable internet etc.
- Minimum of three year’s technical competence in conducting statistical analysis using relevant software
- Strong communication skills, able to translate technically complex information to team members.
- Experience training enumerators in research tools and methodology
- Flexible can-do attitude and problem solving mind-set.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people with varying technical competencies
- Ability to work in a team and with a high level of cultural sensitivity.
- Fluency in English essential, Somali language is an asset.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit a CV and cover letter demonstrating their suitability for this role to Mercy Muu, HR & Operations Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org Please include information of your consultancy rate and availability. It is anticipated that this consultancy will begin in September 2017.