If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Umma University is an established University in Kenya accredited by the Commission for University Education (CUE). The University has two campuses; Thika and Kajiado. Umma University offers courses in Business Management, Information and Communication Technology, Islamic Sharia, Islamic Banking and Finance and Islamic Studies.
We are looking for a self-driven and dedicated Research Fellow; reporting to the Registrar, in charge of Research, Innovation and Outreach Affairs within the University.
- Contribute to teaching and learning programmes in the University
- Supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research students
- Contribute to development of research objectives, projects, concept papers and proposals.
- Conduct individual or collaborative research projects.
- Prepare and coordinate knowledge dissemination activities including seminars, workshops, conferences, exhibitions and publications.
- Prepare projects and activities reports to the required deadline with minimal supervision.
- Promote linkages, partnership and scholarly networking to benefit the University.
- Mentor and support faculty members in developing the research techniques and advice on professionalism.
- Demonstrates data analysis techniques, project planning, monitoring, and evaluating research projects and their outcomes.
- To work with other members of the University in pursuit of quality research and academic excellence.
- PhD or equivalent degree qualification (or a Master’s degree qualification in special cases) in the relevant area from recognized/accredited university;
- Those with a Master degree must have at least three (3) years teaching experience at university level;
- Four equivalent publication points;
- Been registered by the relevant Professional Body (where applicable).
go to method of application »
Under the direction of the Dean of Students, serves as a leader in the planning, coordination and administration of campus activities and programs including student conduct and extracurricular programs. Supports the mission, vision and the core values of the university and fosters an environment and culture which promotes respect, responsibility and trust.
- Perform a variety of administrative duties to assist the Dean in managing the department.
- Assist in the development, implementation and evaluation of intervention programs that address the needs of at risk students.
- Receive referrals and confers with Students, Parents, Lecturers to help meet the needs of struggling students.
- Instructs students in appropriate behaviour.
- Provides leadership for students’ attendance improvement efforts.
- Participates as needed in university’s planning meetings for students.
- Liaison to the after university program in collaboration with faculty and or personnel from outside agencies.
- Liaison to the extracurricular activities, other programs and events.
- Helps plan and carry out the university’s student activities e.g. 1st year orientation programs.
- Responsible for the maintenance of accurate records.
- Supervise Student leadership annual elections including preparations thereof.
- Monitor and evaluate Student discipline matters.
- Facilitate student involvement in campus life through learning programmes, e.g. Guest Speakers, Workshops and other forums where they can develop and enhance their leadership potential.
- Ensuring students with special needs get assistance in collaboration with the University Administration, Office of the Dean of Students and other key stakeholders.
- Take on other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in Education Administration / Counselling/ Psychology /Communications or similar field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in administrative position in an Institution of Higher Learning / Corporate World.
- Excellent communication and demonstrated decision making skills.
- Must demonstrate proven work ethics that meet deadlines, leadership skills, good interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Excellent supervisory, organizational and training skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- Skills in organization and coordination of student related projects.
- Word processing and technical skills in any two of the soft ware packages relating to student affairs.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity and ability to work with individuals or groups with diverse backgrounds.
- Being a practising Muslim will be an added advantage.
go to method of application »
- Master’s degree in Library Information Science from a CUE recognized Institution.
- Bachelors in any discipline from a CUE recognized Institution
- 5 years’ experience in an academic or research library 3 of which should be as an Assistant Librarian
- Competence in library management system
- Liaising with the university librarian in planning and coordination of library services,
- Marketing of library through publications of bulletin, manuals and guides
- Attending to official correspondence, career development and counseling
- Performance evaluation, training and professional development;
- Budget preparation and harmonization;
- Responsible for staff development and capacity building, in addition will facilitate library services user education
- Any other duties as may be assigned by senior officer.
go to method of application »
Umma University is located in Kajiado County. We are looking for a high caliber, self-driven and dedicated Chief Security Officer whose ultimate role is to ensure that institutional security function adds value and gives it a competi-tive advantage.
Reporting to the Ag.Vice chancellor, the officer will be responsible for the efficient management and administration of Security Services in the University.
- Plan and ensure execution of security arrangements as required by the university.
- Look after all the security arrangements in all campuses.
- Initiate, develop, review and implement security policies in the University.
- Supervise and control the work of security personnel.
- Assist the university authorities in maintaining law and order.
- Maintain records and charts of crimes and incidents including overseeing of security surveys and inspections.
- Prepare periodic returns on security operational matters.
- Plan and design security documents e.g. passes, registers
- Maintain liaison with security agencies through security meetings regarding law and order problems and investiga-tion of criminal cases affecting the university
- Assist the University Hostels’ Administration in day to day functioning i.e. eviction of unauthorized occupants/intruders.
- To attend to fire incidents and other calamities and incidents on the campus.
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in any Social Science from a recognized institution. A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Have served in the Disciplined Service in the rank of Inspector or an equivalent rank; or in a comparable and relevant position in the Public Service or in a reputable private sector for a minimum period of three (3) years.
- Have undergone six (6) weeks approved security course at Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Training Institution.
- Have a Certificate of good conduct.
- Have demonstrated professional competence and administrative capability in security matters.
- Overall, should have excellent communication, persuasion and public speaking skills. He or she will need to build relationships quickly and should possess a quick analytical mind and a decisive nature.
go to method of application »
- Planning, developing and implementing PR Strategies
- Liaise with media –coverage of all university functions
- Collating and analyzing media coverage
- Writing and editing in-house magazines, case studies, speeches, articles and annual reports.
- Ensure proper dissemination of corporate publicity information materials like posters, banners, calendars, diaries, prospectus, and monthly update newsletters
- Coverage of university activities- both video and photography
- Maintaining and updating information on the institutional website.
- Sourcing and managing speaking and sponsorship opportunities
- Organize and coordinate university exhibitions and marketing activities.
- Commissioning market research
- Fostering community relations through events such as open days and through involvement in community initiatives
- Managing the PR aspect of a potential crisis situation
- Conducting internal communication courses and workshops
- Monitoring the public opinions about any issues
- Advising management on policy issues and communication strategies.
- Marketing Umma University in order to increase student enrolment.
- Any other duties assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Master’s Degree in the relevant field
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication/Marketing or equivalent from recognized institution.
- Computer Literacy
- Exemplary work performance
- Excellent communication ,
- Interpersonal and writing skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to multitask
- The ability to cope with pressure
Method of Application
Applicants should please send your resume and application letter clearly marking the title as the subject of the mail to the address below indicating your current gross pay and salary expectation for this position. Provide your daytime telephone contact and contacts of three ccrofessional referees by December 15th, 2017.
NB: Only Shortlisted Candidates Will Be Contacted
UMMA University is an equal opportunity employer. Women, marginalized groups and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.
The Vice Chancellor,
P.O. Box: 713 – 01100,
Kajiado – Kenya