If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The HR Manager is responsible for ensuring the day to day HR functions are performed in accordance with RI policies and procedures and HR best practice and to provide direct advice and guidance to Program Managers and staff on HR policies and procedures. He or she will be in charge of implementation of the annual HR objectives and other HR projects. The HRM will also supervise the Snr. HR, HR Officer and Assistant to ensure they carry out their responsibilities efficiently and effectively.
Essential Responsibilities And Duties
- Oversee the regular review and roll out of HR policies, employment policies and procedures in compliance to RI’s standards and evolving national labor law.
- In collaboration with the Program Manager and Country Director, assist in the development of staffing and recruitment plan to ensure that each team is staffed appropriately, according to need and funding availability, in an efficient and timely manner.
- Ensure staff hiring is conducted efficiently and in compliance with RI’s policies and national labor law.
- Ensure a high quality, transparent, timely and efficient recruitment process.
- Determine salaries for selected candidates based on the salary scales
- Ensure pre-employment requirements are submitted and personnel files with documentation according to HR checklist is opened for new staff and completed on a timely basis.
- Ensure that all staff have undergone orientation and induction at Country office including International staff.
- Support the CD in processing of Visas and work permits for visitors and International staff as and when required .
Compensation and benefits
- Ensure the timely and efficient payroll preparation for accurate data on grant code, number of days, benefits.
- In close coordination with Finance, ensure all staff fill timesheets correctly and they are submitted on a monthly basis as part of the payroll package.
- Ensure the proper utilization and accurate tracking of all types of leave.
- Oversee the periodic salary review and analysis, and review and revision of new salary structure, as appropriate.
- Ensure the timely processing of new contracts, contract extensions, staff transfers, promotions and other change of status/ personnel changes.
- Manage processes related to disciplinary actions, staff separation, and termination.
- Respond to employee related queries and provide answers to all HR related inquiries and requests.
- Keep HR Manual updated and constantly communicate it, along with other HR policies to staff.
- Provide day-to-day advice to the programme teams, around interpretation and implementing HR policies, and procedures in order to ensure consistency.
- Make sure that employees’ files are auditable at all times as per RI standards and any relevant donors’ requirements.
- Working with CD and County Finance teams, support internal and external Audits by ensuring necessary documents are updated, scanned where required and submitted as needed.
Performance Management System: RI Excel
- Provide training and ensure new hires and current staff complete the training on RI Excel and understand the goal setting process well.
- Oversee the monthly utilization of RI Excel reporting and offer support to staff where needed.
- Monitor the evaluation process at all stages and ensure that employees and supervisors complete the review process in a timely manner.
- Act as training administrators and ensure that training goals for employees are monitored on RI Excel.
- Provide guidance to supervisors as they complete evaluations, help supervisors find effective coaching methods that work for specific issues including identifying areas of poor performance and assisting supervisors to establish plans for improving performance (PIPs), be present during review meetings when necessary.
- Provide ongoing support to RI Excel users including responding to various inquiries raised by different employees, clarifying the appraisal forms, methodology etc.
Training and Development
- Ensure National staff are aware of all HR policies, rules and regulations by conducting sessions for new staff and organizing for refresher sessions for all staff from time to time.
- Organize learning and development opportunities in coordination with CD for staff to achieve programme goals
- Conduct Training needs analysis (TNAS) within the programme and support staff in identification of suitable internal/external trainings in close consultation with the CD and LMs from time to time.
- Provide training, support and advice on performance management and staff development plans and ensure reviews are conducted when and required as per the RI policy and procedure.
- Verify that Project Training Funds are used to cover legitimate National staff development and talent management expenses, that funds are used effectively, and follow up to make sure training has been provided and the employee has completed the training successfully.
- Encourage Managers and Directors to provide “Power Hour” training to their staff. Subject Matter Experts are asked to present content in an hour long session focusing on specific operational or technical subjects relevant to the program or project or related to current organizational or country/departmental needs.
- Participate in forums relating to Human Resources including internal HR meetings and feedback to management on best practices, HR trends in country and at global level.
Administration of the Learning Management system: RI Academy
- Responsible for the registration, course enrollment and account closure, for all staff who have an email address, some English language capacity and access to the internet.
- Work with the Manager/Supervisor and the employee to find relevant courses on the RI Academy’s LMS, or through INGO or other professional organizations or find courses locally (provided through an institute or a college) and consult with the RHRM for assistance in identifying learning and development opportunities based on the training and professional development goals identified in RI Excel.
- On monthly basis, report the names and courses taken outside LMS.
Qualifications & Requirements
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Educated to degree level, with professional qualification in HR.
- At least 5 years continuous practice in a similar position, with at least 2 years in an HR supervisory/management position.
- Experience in developing and implementing HR policies, procedures and systems.
- Proficient in IT – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and HRIS( Human resources Information Systems) South Sudan/ local employment law.
- Direct experience of organizing emergency/large scale recruitments.
- INGO experience is strongly preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Previous experience of staff supervision and capacity building.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- A team builder with excellent people skills; culturally sensitive and has the ability and interest to identify and work with a multicultural team.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
Method of Application
Applications should include a CV and a cover letter and should be submitted only by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the title and location in the subject line when applying – Human Resources Manager Somalia
RI is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: May 11, 2018
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.