If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste.
At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization. We currently seek a Process Engineer who will work in our New Technology Commercialization department:
A typical day for you might include the following
Process and Plant Design
- Technical lead for all work streams feeding into design of process and plant for full scale facility
- Manages and oversees supplier and vendor relationships
- Coordinates with internal teams to ensure participation in design reviews with all Projects work packages
- Coordinates compilation of all engineering documentation required for validation of designs, installation and start up
- Manages and improves design processes and flows in order to facilitate on time, in full design delivery
- Enables prototyping and testing of solutions where required
- Guides team on design route and evaluation for equipment selection
- Signs off on specification sheets for all equipment
- Ensures team delivers relevant supporting documentation for all equipment
- Develops and improves frameworks for documentation for improved delivery of design and handover
Equipment installation, commissioning and handover
- Point of contact for Production and Facilities during handover and troubleshooting period
- Ensures frameworks and processes exist for consistent commissioning and installation of equipment
- Leads work stream for specific equipment commissioning and installation of all equipment and facilities
- Supports ramp-up
- Coordinate, reviews and signs off complete documentation for handover of plant to operational teams
- Leads identification and close of outstanding actions raised during installation and commissioning
Safety and quality
- Partners with QHSE to develop and improve safety systems and processes
- Ensures Projects team is executing work streams following safety procedures and tools (PHA, HAZOPS, risk assessments, permits to work, etc)
- Ensures equipment and facilities meet quality requirements laid out by R&D and QHSE
- Execute the procurement of consumables/equipment required for the delivery of agreed work packages, including the preparation of justification documentation, creation of Procurement Requests and co-ordination of the receipt and storage of goods
- Support the capture and reporting of project/team expenditure
- Formulate trial protocol
- Coordinate and execute trials, including the capture of data
- Deliver high quality trial report and sign-off from stakeholders
- Follow up on and close outstanding actions
Equipment and plant handover
- Coordinate and execute the installation of equipment according to agreed timelines
- Complete all required equipment safety and quality checks and input to QHSE safety assessments and documentation
- Coordinate & execute commissioning trials & equipment monitoring
- Deliver commissioning trial reports & monitoring reports
- Prepare & deliver handover documentation to Maintenance, Production, etc.
- Follow up and ensure closure of outstanding actions
- Initiate feedback discussions for self and team
- Identify professional development needs of self and team and seeks opportunities for professional development, including training, coaching, mentoring and workplace activities
- Coaching and mentoring of team members and cross-functional teams
- Initiate personal development discussions
- Initiate, lead and facilitate prioritization discussions
- Share subject matter knowledge and create opportunities for team sharing, as an experienced engineering mentor
- Coach and mentor own team and cross-functionally, where required
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- An Engineering degree in either Process/Chemical/Civil or Mechanical.
- Minimum of 3 Years’ experience in handling projects from end to end.
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable to unknown unknowns, ability to change plans on the ground when faced with challenges.
- Demonstrated advanced experience in the usage of Excel/Sheets.
- Demonstrated ability to understand fundamentals of project planning, risk management and how technical delivery of work stream affects a total plan.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings, understand working principles of equipment, sufficient to implement, commission and handover to Ops is an added advantage.
- Proactive, able to multi-task, prioritize work, meet deadlines & works effectively under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Experience in a startup and a multicultural environment is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal, communication & presentation skills (verbal, written) and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships. Should have the ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and judgment in working with all levels of staff. Successful candidates should be able to communicate to stakeholders when there are delays or setbacks, early.
- Experience in doing engineering design, as well experience in doing jua kali works.
- Excellent research skills
- Pleasant, energetic, confident, with a positive, can-do attitude, good work ethic, and professionalism. Should have the ability to maintain confidentialities and tactful in dealing with clients
- Demonstrated initiative in developing solutions to meet complex administrative/technical needs of a workgroup. Should have very strong organizational skills.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
Method of Application
To apply, please submit a cover letter clearly indicating your available start state (include notice period), your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees and a Portfolio of all the projects done up to date to email@example.com by 24th August, 2018.
Kindly indicate your salary expectations.