CIO EAST AFRICA is the leading magazine for the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) industry in East Africa, published by African eDevelopment Resource Centre in conjunction with the International Data Group (IDG), a world-renowned publisher of legendary brands. The publication highlights ICT investment opportunities, innovation, intellectual property and trends of the converging technologies. Through such authoritative information, the investors get business leads and end-users make informed choices. More than ever before, ICT has become an integral part of a company’s business strategy, and therefore, the CIO editions makes it possible for companies to tap into new business segments and optimize on processes shared in the publication.
We are looking to hire a driven Commercial and Operations Manager to maximize our company’s operating capabilities, oversee our marketing strategies and guarantee customer satisfaction and drive growth and profitability. The Commercial and Operations Manager will play a key role in identifying and evaluating commercial and strategic opportunities, working alongside internal stakeholders to formulate commercial proposals and appraise new product additions. You will manage financial policies and procedures, and generate financial reports.
The successful applicant will:
- Manage communications with partners and suppliers on day-to-day commercial matters, including financial reporting and invoicing, contractual queries and new product opportunities.
- Assist in developing pricing approaches for new sales campaigns and initiatives, in keeping with their overall sales strategy; and support product price list refinement based on feedback from partners, prospects and business development team.
- Liaise with the Finance function to oversee the preparation of monthly performance analysis, product usage reports and commission statements.
- Support the business development, product and finance/ legal functions in the procurement process, and take ownership of formal tender submissions and on-boarding agreements prior to Partners releasing new services.
- Using a comprehensive pool of data on partner consumption and performance, plan upsell opportunities and conduct gap-analysis against competitor products.
- Manage team and team workloads in order to meet goals and deadlines
- Develop plans to increase efficiency and reduce costs
- Improve existing systems and policies
- Ensure customer requirements are met in a timely manner
- Promote and enforces safety in the workplace
- Employing strategies to ensure company’s growth
- External – Operational, Marketing and Commercial staff at partner companies and suppliers to ensure we have strong communication lines.
- Internal – Sales, Business Development, Product & Operations / Finance / Legal teams to ensure communication of customer needs and to follow up actions.
Ideal Candidate Requirements
- Skill Set: Sales, Business Development & Operations
- A strong appetite to learn how commercial and strategic concepts are applied in the tech publishing industry.
- Ideally you will be able to evidence sound commercial acumen, be it through prior work placement or similar, and an interest in tech publishing.
- You will hold excellent written and numerical skills.
- You will be enthusiastic, motivated and self-confident, with the ability to form excellent working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
We’re looking for a technology aware editor with experience in the East African and African technology landscape. The editor will report to the managing editor and lead the editorial team and be responsible for all the editorial activities in the organisations. Creative thinking and business knowledge will be an key consideration in this opening.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Plan the contents of publications, Web and Mobile Apps according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
- Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements for all the channels – Web, Mobile and Print.
- Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Meet frequently with artists, typesetters, layout personnel, marketing directors, and production managers to discuss projects and resolve problems.
- Supervise and coordinate work of reporters and other authors.
- Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations to the publisher.
- Select local, regional, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items' significance and interest value.
- Interview and hire writers and reporters or negotiate contracts, royalties, and payments for authors or freelancers.
- Arrange for copyright permissions.
- Assist in identifying advertising potential for the publication
- Liaise with the sales and marketing team to develop marketing collateral and business development ideas
- Assist in developing advertising copy for clients
- A university graduate with a bias in IT, Communications, Journalism or a business related degree from a recognized university.
- A credible journalist with at least 5 years’ experience, three of which must have been spent as an editor or sub-editor.
- A go-getter with exceptional communication skills and a variety of contacts within the ICT sector, with a sharp business mind.
- Familiar with the production processes of both print and online publications. Strong knowledge of Joomla Content Management System.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.