Kenyatta University Teaching, Referral & Research Hospital (KUTRRH) is a leading National Referral Hospital with a 650 bed capacity and equipped with state-of-art medical amenities. The hospital is well equiped to offer Oncology, Trauma & Orthopedics, Renal among other services.
The Hospital is located along Northern Bypass Rd. near Kahawa West, Nairobi.
Head Of Department (Trauma & Orthopedics)
Ref Number: DCSTO/KUTRRH/4
Purpose Of The Job
Reporting to the Deputy Director-Surgery Services, the Head of Department Orthopaedic job exists to coordinate and provide Orthopaedic services, coordinate Orthopaedic surgery research and training, and advise the hospital and public on the same at KUTRRH.
- Plan for all orthopaedic surgery services and resources required in the orthopedic surgery unit of the hospital; and participate in and contribute to the overall strategic planning of the hospital.
- Coordinate the implementation of the hospital strategic plan in the orthopedic surgery unit within its vision, mission and culture and other national and international healthcare frameworks.
- Chair the orthopedic unit and act as its contact person in clinical referral services, research and training matters in the hospital.
- Ensure that orthopedic surgery unit of the hospital has all the required human and nonhuman resources required to offer orthopedic surgical services, research and training in the hospital.
- Participate in the recruitment and disciplinary action and processes of orthopedic surgery unit staff in the hospital.
- Coordinate and provide orthopedic surgical services and services delivery in the orthopedic surgery unit of the hospital ensuring that they meet the expected standards and compliance in the hospital.
- Coordinate orthopedic surgery referral services within and without the hospital according to the orthopedic surgery services needs in collaboration with other hospital sections and units and within the framework of the hospital and national referral policies.
- Supervise orthopedic surgery staff together with their services, in the orthopedic surgery unit of the hospital to ensure that they offer timely orthopedic services within the expected standards, complying with the established ethics and regulations in the hospital.
- Ensure and coordinate continuous training and development of orthopedic surgery unit staff for their effective and efficient performance and productivity in the hospital.
- Coordinate and provide medical research and training within the orthopedic unit of the hospital.
- Provide specialized orthopedic surgery services’ advice to the hospital executive and other sections/units and the general public in the appropriate media.
- Work with other medical specialists to solve single or multiple medical issue (s) or perform extensive surgery, when required by patients in the hospital.
- Monitor and evaluate progress and achievement of the orthopedic surgery unitand services, research and training programs in the hospital, prepare and disseminate periodic reports appropriately.
Minimum level of academic qualifications required to perform effectively in the role:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery from a recognized institution
- Masters in Medicine in Orthopaedic Surgery or its equivalent from a recognized institution
Minimum level of knowledge required for the job:
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of relevant legislations
- Knowledge of professional standards
- Track record of clinical research and training in a reputable institution
Minimum level of professional qualification and compliance required to perform effectively in the role:
- Registration with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council
- Valid Practice License
- Professional Insurance Indemnity Cover
Soft skills required for the job:
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Leadership skills
- Observation skills
- Analytical skills
- Ability to work under pressure
Relevant Work Experience Required
Minimum number of years of experience the jobholder is required to have to be appointed to the position:
- At least five years working experience as a Senior Orthopaedic Surgeon of which two should be Head of Department in a reputable hospital.
Method of Application
If your background and competencies match the specifications of any of the posts above, we encourage applicants to apply online here or send hard copies of your Application Letter, CV, and Filled Application Form and address to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Kenyatta University Teaching, Referral & Research Hospital
P.O Box 7674 – 00100 GPO